Recruiting Football Talk VIII

I do give him credit. I just give more to Garner and frankly Inge.

The secondary played fine. And if they continue to play fine, we will continue to have elite defense because of Garner's unit.

If you watched the game tonight and thought "Oh, improvement from Tim Banks is definitely the reason for this", I think you're insane. That's all
That’s just odd. He’s the one who puts it together. I can’t agree with people who can’t give credit when they will turn around and criticize. Why wasn’t Garner’s unit doing this in year one? It’s all a unit on defense.

Back at you in being insane.

For a game that was 'lacking' in explosive plays, we still had a few. And technically an explosive play is a rush for 12 or more or a pass for 15/20 or more...I'll use 15

Explosive TDs:
- 15 yd TD catch by Kitselman
- 31 yd TD run by Nico
- 57 yd TD catch by Kitselman (called back by terrible flag)
- 34 yd TD run by Sampson
- 18 yd TD catch by Staes

Non-scoring plays:
- 12 yd run - Nico
- 12 yd run - Dylan
- 17 yd catch - Dylan
- 16 yd catch - Kitselman
- 14 yd run - Dylan
- 45 yd catch - Squirrel
- 15 yd run - Bishop
- 22 yd catch - Squirrel
- 13 yd run - Dylan
- 21 yd catch - Dylan

A few long passes that just barely missed:
- ~30 yd pass to Brazzell. I think this was the one where he & DB got tangled up. If i remember correctly, i thought this was a missed DPI
- ~40 yd for Bru's catch with another pass interference that didn't get called. Was much more obvious on the replay with DB's hand on Bru's arm and then DB fell into Bru.
- 31 yd pass to Bru that was just barely out of bounds
- 22 yd pass that was just out of reach to Thornton. Might've been a Keyton-esque stretch out TD had he dove. Two plays later was the pick 6 from Nico.

Non-offensive plays - I know this doesn't count for offensive explosiveness...don't care..they are fun:
85 yd pick 6 - Brooks
12 yd punt return - Squirrel
16 yd punt return - Squirrel
31 yd punt return - Squirrel

I think we're a little spoiled thanks to Heup's offense

BIG props to defense locking down in second half . We gave a ton of cushion to their WR early and paid for it then settled in. Overall that was a bit of an odd game. I feel like Nico was pretty good, but Sampson and the DL really cemented the win. Defense grew up tonight a little bit. Also, very nice to see our TEs producing again. We are much deeper there now and that will pay dividends.

Here’s my top 10 currently. 1-3 are in a league of their own. The rest are pretty close

1) UGA
2) Ohio State
3) Texas
4) Ole Miss
5) Alabama
6) Missouri
7) Miami
8) Utah
9) USC
10) Tennessee

Reactions: DD4ME
Tim Banks is the DC, not just a position coach. Calls all the plays. Owns everything on the defense.
And you think the pressure in the backfield every single play was the result of play calling? If you do that's fine. But I don't. And the fact that I don't is the only point I'm making.

I have a low opinion of Willie and a mildly low opinion of Banks. And I think Garner is the best DL coach in the country. If his unit is so dominant they can make Banks job as a play caller easier and everyone's job in the backfield easier than hell yeah. I'm just saying I didn't see any reason to change my opinion of any of them.

Reactions: StoVol

VN Store

Back