Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thing he pinch hit Sandoval. If he doesn't get on, Riley doesn't lead off the ninth and who knows what would happen.
I’ve never called him a baseball genius...don’t really believe many of those ever existed. Best managers have instincts and gambles that pay off when the stakes are high. Jury’s still out on Snit, but I feel more and more confident that justice (not David) will be served. 😏

No way of knowing what Pache would’ve done. Riley batting leadoff or 2nd, not sure that makes a difference. But thankfully the defense we played in the 8th and 9th didn’t cost us because we have so much talent on offense we put the game away and our pitching closed them out.
Did you ever dare to fantasize that our postseason pitching would even stand up and be noticed? Not me.

I’m still trying to figure out what game Pruitt is playing at QB. You don’t give Bailey all the snaps unless you intend for him to see playing time very soon and/or you are testing to see if he is far enough along to handle more than a few plays. Telling us that JG is our QB while doing that makes it sound a whole lot like coach speak. Is he messing with Stoops and giving him an unknown to prepare for or is he preparing HB the best way he can to see live action? I think JG starts but it will be very odd if HB took all the snaps and doesn’t get any PT against UK.

TBH. It wouldn’t be bad to start HB and let JG come off the bench if things go awry because he played most of his best ball that way. JG thrived in that sixth man role. And what are you telling Maurer and Shrout when you give HB all the snaps and wind up not playing him? I’m all for making your opponent work harder but this is a little more than that, IMO. I think they’re closer to pulling the trigger on JG than we might think but they want to make sure that Bailey, who has been robbed of so much practice time, can handle it.
I think Pruitt is still growing as a head coach. He is going with the safe option in JG who usually doesn’t turn the ball over but has the lowest ceiling. Kirby chose Fromm over Fields and I bet he would like that decision back. Now he took a half to change his QB who wasn’t getting it done for a former walk on. Saban went with average QB game managers for years until he finally opened it up to Hurts and Tua. I believe Pruitt is still growing and just needs to take a leap of faith instead of staying risk averse with the QB situation. QB is holding us hostage from competing with the big boys. All IMO.

Dang you guys are miserable. We lose a game to an incredible team and sound like a bunch of whooped b*tches.

Maybe a few are miserable, yes. But most of us had higher expectations than what the result showed. As for me, I had decided that a loss by a touchdown or less would've shown progress. Turnovers and penalties drove the result. It appears we matched up well with them. A few more players here and there might've made a difference. Most thought 6-4 was an acceptable record before the season started. 7-3 is my expectation.

You must live in the wrong neighborhood, all the Braves fans I have ever encountered, myself included, are extremely modest and humble about being a Braves fan and realize we are basically the Buffalo Bills of MLB. I don't see much swagger other than expecting to win the division every year.
There are Braves fans ever bit as devoted as the most rabid Yankees/Red Sox/Cardinal denizen...we just don’t have a NATION of them. Part and parcel of that is we’ve been bludgeoned with historical reality like baby seals through our existence. Anyone ever reference an OBNOXIOUS Braves fan? That’s an obnoxious PERSON who has Braves swag.

Dang you guys are miserable. We lose a game to an incredible team and sound like a bunch of whooped b*tches.
It’s not about losing. I think everyone expected to lose. It’s about getting embarrassed and blown out again to a rival. We will never catch up if we continue to get blown out.

JG stinks and absolutely won't beat Florida. I say bench him. If he continues to start we're just looking to compete/beat the mid-tier teams or the others behind him are just that bad. I want a prayer to win a meaningful game against Florida, A&M, or Auburn. The others on the schedule we can win don't mean squat, don't fool yourself.

I think Pruitt is still growing as a head coach. He is going with the safe option in JG who usually doesn’t turn the ball over but has the lowest ceiling. Kirby chose Fromm over Fields and I bet he would like that decision back. Now he took a half to change his QB who wasn’t getting it done for a former walk on. Saban went with average QB game managers for years until he finally opened it up to Hurts and Tua. I believe Pruitt is still growing and just needs to take a leap of faith instead of staying risk averse with the QB situation. QB is holding us hostage from competing with the big boys. All IMO.
This! Can’t like this enough. You are only as strong as your weakest link. And JG is by far what is holding us back. I’m not a car guy but I’m pretty sure if you’re trying to build a Lamborghini (or another high powered car of your choosing) you don’t run with a 4 cylinder in it?

Maybe a few are miserable, yes. But most of us had higher expectations than what the result showed. As for me, I had decided that a loss by a touchdown or less would've shown progress. Turnovers and penalties drove the result. It appears we matched up well with them. A few more players here and there might've made a difference. Most thought 6-4 was an acceptable record before the season started. 7-3 is my expectation.
agreed. the qb wasn't great, but i wouldn't say he was awful...well, except in the 4th qtr....not good....the rest of the game he did basically what was expected of him. if you want to fault him for something, fault him for not being "great" i guess. all that to say, we do need a difference maker at the position. he's a game manager at best.

i think where we really lost the match up was up front. and while i won't tell you i think the o line played well, cause they didn't, man for man, across UGA's front, they all are capable of causing probelms. they have like 6 Henry T's out there...i think that front 7 will/should cause any offensive line problems. they good. .i don't think our backs or TE's were super effective in protection or run blocking....it really just wound up being a bad match up , their defensive front against our offense. we're not dynamic enough to make that kind of defense do anything they feel they don't have to.....that kind of defense can play the way IT WANTS TO against an offense like ours......

defensively, i was actually impressed big time with our front 7. as a group, they played pretty well, HT was an animal...Bennett, Harrison, Baron and several others all got in the action and i was really proud of how they bottled up the run game form the most part, and scheme wise, i think we did a very good job of rushing SBIV in the first half...and parts of the 2nd.

i would have liked to seen DJ play the whole game, but in his abscence, i wouldn't say the defense missed a beat.

the secondary played well, i guess. was a mix of good and bad.....and i think i'll leave it at that....

biggest problem for the defense....depth. and that became an issue because of how ineffective our offense was at possessing the ball in the 3rd qtr. too many mistakes, too many turnovers. not sure what the TOP was in the 2nd half, specifically the 3rd qtr...but it has to be close to 2:1....

good news: we don't face another defense like that.....until we play UGA in 21......

now all of this, i agree with....

Reasonable expectation, personally I figured more than a touchdown. We have a solid front 5 after that depth gets shaky, players get tired. They beat us on our mistakes and depth. That simple. 7-3 is where I am too. A loss is a loss and can get away from you really fast vs a great team. Luckily we will only face 2 of them.

It’s not about losing. I think everyone expected to lose. It’s about getting embarrassed and blown out again to a rival. We will never catch up if we continue to get blown out.
Everyone will get blown out by that GA team haha. It’s not the end of the world. We had a very close game but they took advantage of our mistakes like any good team should do.

I hate sports. And if you’ll indulge me whilst I step on a few toes, I’d appreciate it.

Living in GA and not being a fan of any of its sports teams is less than ideal. You see, I’m not a sh!t talker. If my team beats your team, I’m staying pretty quiet about it, because I don’t like how it feels when my team loses. These dawg fans are the worst when they know you are a TN fan. And, to a lesser degree but still annoying as hell are the f’n braves fans if they know you are a Dodger fan.

What pukes me the most is they have the exact same swagger as the dawg fans, and virtually the same trophy case. I guess to steal from the football phrasing, the braves have yankee swagger with a brewers trophy case. And, yes, I know they’ve got a championship more recently than the dodgers, but I don’t walk around being a jackass about being a fan of my team.

Ok, /rant. And I apologize to any of you in here that may have rubbed the wrong way. I’m sure most, if not all, of you are classier braves fans than the a-holes I end up dealing with.
Dodger fans suck

We will never catch up if we keep getting impatient and firing coaches either. This rebuild is gonna be similar to the one Majors had to pull off. Gonna take several years. Gotta get back to consistent domination of the lower level teams and being able to beat mid level teams like AU and A&M. Once we get a legit QB, then we can start competing with UGA, Bama, FL

Reactions: hooter vol
Most likely man. But on the bright side we are progressing every year, maybe not as fast as we want. I do believe we will get there with Pruitt as HC. We all are disappointed with the qb situation but he’s brought us a long way.

I agree we’re making incremental progress, especially along both lines, but I hope this staff gets better in evaluating and developing QBs—it’s been a real weak spot so far.

Level headed approach and thought. I dig it. Pruitt's my coach and I'm here for the haul. Growing pains and all. Every head coach takes lumps.

Everyone will get blown out by that GA team haha. It’s not the end of the world. We had a very close game but they took advantage of our mistakes like any good team should do.
I disagree. We wouldn’t have been blown out if not for turnovers. I think Bama beats them the more I think about the game and UF keeps it close. There offense doesn’t scare anyone. If our defense wasn’t gassed, they would have held them in the second half.

Much of this is true. And I agree in the big picture that a QB is what is holding us back. I’ll just point out that:

- Kirby had no choice but to make that change. Even JG at his worst has never looked as bad as Mathis did during that first game. He was absolutely dreadful and looked terrified to be playing football.

- Devo linked a twitter account that deep dives UT tape. Showed where our breakdowns were on a couple 3rd downs in the 2nd half (including strip sack for score). Just exactly as Pruitt said - “there were a few times we had the perfect 3rd down call against UGA’s 3rd down call and we just didn’t execute” - the tape shows. Both times it was a breakdown by RB who whiffed and got smoked on the blitz and the pass rushers got to JG before he could let it fly. Both times the intended target was open for an easy conversion.

Again, I believe a QB is needed to get us to the next level (10 win seasons and actually competing for the East) but many times our struggles are derived from poor execution despite good play calls. And JG is the QB so he always gets the blame. For sure he can’t fumble every time he gets hit or make the poor decision to float that ball for a INT bc those are back breaking and you gotta protect the ball, but to be successful as a team everyone has to do their job. On some of those plays JG was far from the weakest link (in reference to the previous poster).

We will never catch up if we keep getting impatient and firing coaches either. This rebuild is gonna be similar to the one Majors had to pull off. Gonna take several years. Gotta get back to consistent domination of the lower level teams and being able to beat mid level teams like AU and A&M. Once we get a legit QB, then we can start competing with UGA, Bama, FL
Who in the world wants to fire coaches? Where was that said at all. Pruitt is going to get us there. He just needs time as well to grow too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back