Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't get the idea of a 5-star OL with Bailey, Hyatt, Wideman and Beckwith running a Hug Freeze offense next year out of my mind.

This needs to happen.

Nah man, power I with 7 OL, no motion, 3 yards. Then pot shot on the sideline out of same formation. Thrown out of bounds. Boom. Third and long

Reactions: BAJAvol
If you are talking about the last two years, Pruitt is 10-7, compared to Tucker, who is 6-11 in that timeframe.

you put more energy into bringing this unsatisfactory stat forward that’s neither pretty or clout worthy than Pruitt does actually getting a worthy QB on the field who’s prepared.I like your style though Galaga champion.I’ll see you when we are not comparing him to big 10 coaches 🥴

1605629032879.gif

Billy Napier is a good coach.

Born in Cookeville, his dad was a very successful high school football coach in Tennessee briefly, but mostly in Northwest Georgia.

Would not be surprised if he were waiting on Tennessee too.
Known Napier for a while. Really good family. Dad was an excellent coach. Not sure if he’s waiting on any particular job to be honest. Will root for him no matter where he lands

This is a quote from the USCjr TOS mods in their morning update on the coaching search. Their mods said this:

To be clear, these are opinions of someone who's plugged into the college football community. It isn’t necessarily a reflection of what Ray Tanner and Bob Caslen are thinking at this point in the process.

However, one thing that was made abundantly clear on Tuesday morning: Freeze likes the idea of coaching at Tennessee. Love would actually be a stronger way to put it. That's a fact.

The last thing on Freeze - for now - wherever he lands next, especially if it’s in the SEC, Kirby Smart and others are “going to eat him alive” on the recruiting trail.

Back to Napier and Beamer...

His last 4 classes at Ole Miss were all top 20, two of them top 10...since he left Ole Miss has yet to break into the top 20.

This is really shaping up to be a good crop of coaching candidates for Tennessee if they want to make a move. Far better than 2009, 2012 and 2017.

Hugh Freeze - obvious reason to believe he'd want the Tennessee job.
Billy Napier - 25–11 as a head coach, born in East Tennessee, offensive-minded, experience in the SEC and at Clemson.
Jamey Chadwell - 75–51 as a head coach, born and raised in Anderson County, one of the most creative offensive minds in the country.

There are a handful of retread guys likely to be available, like Justin Fuente or Steve Sarkisian.

And there's a VFL alum on staff in line to get a head coaching job soon.

I know you all are enamored with Freeze and I understand it, but my point is, this isn't scraping the bottom of the barrel like in 2009 with Dooley and Troy Calhoun, or 2012 with Larry Fedora and Butch Jones, and especially 2017 with Pruitt, Steele and Tucker.

His last 4 classes at Ole Miss were all top 20, two of them top 10...since he left Ole Miss has yet to break into the top 20.

I think what TOS was referring to is that he has a very shady background and that the negative recruiting would work against him when talking to parents, etc.

I think it's a fair point.

But people also like to give second chances and the good ole Rev can win in a living room.

This is a quote from the USCjr TOS mods in their morning update on the coaching search. Their mods said this:

To be clear, these are opinions of someone who's plugged into the college football community. It isn’t necessarily a reflection of what Ray Tanner and Bob Caslen are thinking at this point in the process.

However, one thing that was made abundantly clear on Tuesday morning: Freeze likes the idea of coaching at Tennessee. Love would actually be a stronger way to put it. That's a fact.

The last thing on Freeze - for now - wherever he lands next, especially if it’s in the SEC, Kirby Smart and others are “going to eat him alive” on the recruiting trail.

This report about Freeze makes me want UT to hire him even more. Kirby is scared of him.

This is really shaping up to be a good crop of coaching candidates for Tennessee if they want to make a move. Far better than 2009, 2012 and 2017.

Hugh Freeze - obvious reason to believe he'd want the Tennessee job.
Billy Napier - 25–11 as a head coach, born in East Tennessee, offensive-minded, experience in the SEC and at Clemson.
Jamey Chadwell - 75–51 as a head coach, born and raised in Anderson County, one of the most creative offensive minds in the country.

There are a handful of retread guys likely to be available, like Justin Fuente or Steve Sarkisian.

And there's a VFL alum on staff in line to get a head coaching job soon.

I know you all are enamored with Freeze and I understand it, but my point is, this isn't scraping the bottom of the barrel like in 2009 with Dooley and Troy Calhoun, or 2012 with Larry Fedora and Butch Jones, and especially 2017 with Pruitt, Steele and Tucker.
Come on Kingston, Jamey is ass and Billy is too much of a gamble.

I think what TOS was referring to is that he has a very shady background and that the negative recruiting would work against him when talking to parents, etc.

But people also like to give second chances and the good ole Rev can win in a living room.

I mean, Pruitt was a first time HC and has been failing majorly leading up to every ESD he's had while coaching at UT...aren't they already eating his lunch? I mean how much MORE lunch can be eaten?

Reactions: SpringBokVol
The same people who are telling you nothing will happen this year said the same things in 2017 for a month straight about Jones. Its deja vu all over again. The only difference this time around is instead of trying to quell the rumors and talks of change, they are damn near green lighting it, Hubbs and Price especially. Those two seem like they've caught full blown BVS with this staff

Yeah I think people are vastly overstating that. I'm sure with some it would be true. But he'll be in living rooms of a lot of Christian parents. His pastor supports him, he has worked at Liberty, there hasn't been another scandal. I don't think it would hurt him as bad as people think.

Probably won’t see top 5 classes. But keep it in top 10 and that’s fine. As we’ve argued at length, not much difference between those ranked 4-10.

Probably won’t see top 5 classes. But keep it in top 10 and that’s fine. As we’ve argued at length, not much difference between those ranked 4-10.
Exactly. And Freeze would win with top 10 classes. It is a misnomer that you have to have top 2 classes to win at a high level. GA recruits number 1 and can't win a ship. LSU hasn't recruited number 1 and they won it all. Clemson also doesn't recruit top 2 and they have 2 under Dabo.

Elite coaching, top QB play, and top 10 classes can win. That has been proven.

Come on Kingston, Jamey is ass and Billy is too much of a gamble.
I plainly disagree.

What I think we need is some mix of Butch Jones and Jeremy Pruitt.

I want to hire someone with head coaching experience - and I'd place a premium on a head coach with experience winning at minimum, a conference championship. No matter what level you're on, it's hard to win your conference. When you do that, you prove to me that you can get an entire program rowing in the same direction and you can get them to play consistent football every single week. The organization Butch brought (but lost) had him close to winning the East.

If he had Jeremy Pruitt's recruiting ability, focus on physical SEC-style play, and player-focused attitude, he'd still be the head coach here.

We need Butch Jones plus a physical scheme - someone who knows how to win in this conference - and hopefully without the "little man syndrome."

Yeah I think people are vastly overstating that. I'm sure with some it would be true. But he'll be in living rooms of a lot of Christian parents. His pastor supports him, he has worked at Liberty, there hasn't been another scandal. I don't think it would hurt him as bad as people think.
All the crap we hear about Kirby at Georgia hasn't hurt his recruiting yet. Hugh will work with whatever he has until he's won enough to be bringing in top 10 classes if he lands at a major school.

I am not giddy. I also don't hope we lose to Vanderbilt on the 0.01% chance we hire Freeze if that happens.

If this weren’t a Covid year, Do you think the Vanderbilt game is even a factor though? I don’t. You can’t hang your hat on that W, they’re suiting up second string lacrosse players to field a team. I think he’s a dead-man walking TBH, just not a good time to fire him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back