Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
2020 - 2018 = 2 years.

You might have been on VN for 10 yrs but you've only been @Fun coupon VOL for 2 years. I've liked a lot of your posts but @SLICKYINC got you. Don't come after me for laughing about it.

Who'd you use to be?

I use to spend most of my days(college) in the end zone with some other characters.

Mullen wasn't their first choice....
That’s not the point. The point is they fired a guy who had been winning division championships to get better. UT on the other hand pays our coach $4mil/year to lose by double digits every other game, let’s him fire and hire new assistants every year while he learns on the job, in the hopes he’ll win 6 games next fall.

Okay. Then Chip Kelly. Either way. They saw the opportunity to hire a guy that they believed was a great coach and they fired Mac because they knew he would never win a ship there. What's the difference?
Let's say we miss out on our first and second choice like UF did with Kelly, then Frost. Where does that leave us?

2020 - 2018 = 2 years.

You might have been on VN for 10 yrs but you've only been @Fun coupon VOL for 2 years. I've liked a lot of your posts but @SLICKYINC got you. Don't come after me for laughing about it.

Who'd you use to be?
I wasn’t really going after him. Math didn’t compute though so I knew he had to been another handle at some point.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
I don't know anyone who expects us to be Bama. UF? Absolutely. UF is where we want to be. 10-11 wins/year with hope every year to win it all. There is no reason that UT, with our tradition and resources, shouldn't be able to accomplish that. I believe that Hugh could accomplish that at TN. He is proven.

And yes, other admins have paid big money and it didn't work out. But it showed their fanbase that they were willing to do what it takes to win. And look at Michigan. How much money did they make when Harbaugh was hired? That fanbase was fired up.

Let's take the emotional drive out of it, in his 5 years as a HC Freeze has 1 10 win season in the SEC during that time (with the bowl win). Mullen from Mississippi State to Florida was obvious, he was pushing 8 wins a year there moves to one of the most talent rich states in the country where the program was already successful and recruited itself. So no surprise he's now winning 10-11 a year, especially when one of their biggest rivals (us) has been in the dumpster for over a decade now.

I still think Hugh is the move if you decide to fire Pruitt, but I'm still not sold he's the 10-11 win a year guy either here with Kirby, Mullen, and Saban still ALWAYS on our schedule. I would be excited and optimistic though, and if nothing else I know he'd be more competitive than the last 3 coaches have been.

Let's say we miss out on our first and second choice like UF did with Kelly, then Frost. Where does that leave us?
Don’t take no for answer. $ talks. The truth is we could get Urban Meyer if we paid him enough. But UT doesn’t do that. They shop in the bargain bin. And why do they do that? Because our fanbase is so loyal they always show up in new gear, buying hot dogs, and filling Neyland every Saturday. That’s why. If the fans stopped spending money on this garbage product the admin and boosters would fix the problem.

I say let SC hire him and deal with all the crap that sines with it.

He proceeds to stay clean and we hire him away when we are ready.

Win-win.

You don't miss. Hugh wants this job. You do what bama did for Saban and you park outside of his house until he signs the contract.

That’s not the point. The point is they fired a guy who had been winning division championships to get better. UT on the other hand pays our coach $4mil/year to lose by double digits every other game, let’s him fire and hire new assistants every year while he learns on the job, in the hopes he’ll win 6 games next fall.
And fans are prophesizing the guaranteed success of a coach that never won an SEC championship.... Maybe Hugh Freeze comes in and lights it up, but maybe he doesn't. I'm not all in on Freeze like most. I don't see him as a guarantee. I don't see any truly proven coach willing or wanting to come be our coach. That doesn't mean I'm all for Pruitt, but the next hire, even Freeze, will be a risk. But I also firmly believe the university will keep Pruitt another year, and nothing fans say or do will change that.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Well we will know if Hugh really wants to wait for that TN job...just got wind that SC boosters making a massive play at him this morning...which is probably above and beyond what might have been discussed with him at the university level.
Sounds like Auburn a few years ago :):)

There's a better chance of firing Pruitt, but it may also make Hugh second guess UT...on paper we think this is the better choice. But if we're 2-8 with 5+ 10 point loss games and Auburn/LSU/USCJr. all sitting there with more wins and bigger checks to cash do we beat them out for Hugh?

I will say this the ONLY reason to fire Pruitt now is to go get Hugh, but if he's not an option then I expect we'll wait to see what 2021 looks like. There's a few rising candidates though that may be better hires than Pruitt was (Napier, Beamer, Chadwell) with ties to UT already.
Freeze isn’t a slave to the perfect landing site. He arrives and immediately coaches up what he has and recruits what he doesn’t. Did it at Lambuth, Arkansas State, Ole Miss and Liberty. He doesn’t wait for the now to happen and waste energy downplaying his available talent. Play with what you got. Kind of the anti-Urban Meyer. Utah was actually Urban’s best coaching job. He took a non-descript program and now it’s traditionally relevant. Since then he’s utilized the Phil Jackson arc of success. If it’s not loaded...he ain’t going. Can’t argue with that plan but give me the guy who’ll take what he has and make you survive games against him until his recruited players are as good or better. No concession to Lord Saban and the Process. You’re going to have to beat us or we’ll almost beat you 3 in a row before hookers...that last part didn’t help. Freeze is what I envisioned Tom Herman to be as a program builder.

Last edited:
Let's take the emotional drive out of it, in his 5 years as a HC Freeze has 1 10 win season in the SEC during that time (with the bowl win). Mullen from Mississippi State to Florida was obvious, he was pushing 8 wins a year there moves to one of the most talent rich states in the country where the program was already successful and recruited itself. So no surprise he's now winning 10-11 a year, especially when one of their biggest rivals (us) has been in the dumpster for over a decade now.

I still think Hugh is the move if you decide to fire Pruitt, but I'm still not sold he's the 10-11 win a year guy either here with Kirby, Mullen, and Saban still ALWAYS on our schedule. I would be excited and optimistic though, and if nothing else I know he'd be more competitive than the last 3 coaches have been.
Hugh was at Ole Miss and won big there even beating Saban twice. He ran us out of their stadium as well. He has freaking liberty of all places at 8-0 right now with a win against VT. Hugh Freeze is an elite coach. What could he do with our resources and ability to recruit elite talent? That's what we would like to see. And hey, even if he doesn't win a championship here, it would sure be fun to watch his teams win 9 games or above every single year with that explosive offense. We are watching a team right now that looks like they are from the 70's on offense and our defense isn't good either.

I'm a big Mullen fan, but I don't know how you praise his prior experience while ignoring Freeze's. They're basically the same guy.

Mississippi State is a slightly worse job. Mullen was successful by pure coaching. He did it for a longer period of time.

Freeze did it by dirty recruiting. It was always unstable and what happened at the end was totally predictable.

This is wired to me, I feel nothing anymore. It's almost as if we have another bye week. I find myself at the apathy stage. I'll probably watch some, but won't plan my day around it. And I have no expectations that we compete. In fact I'll be surprised if we do. This must be what Vandy fans feel like before they burn out and stop caring.

I feel dirty saying that.... But it's the truth.

I’ve felt this way since Dooley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back