Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
No decision rides on the aTm game. It's the #5 team in the country and they're a better, more complete team than we are this year. The decision rides on what the guy at the top wants to do and whether UT can make what they feel is the right hire. A very small group has meaningful input.

No point in me repeating this over and over. Those who choose to believe otherwise, feel free.
Why are we too stupid to just hire Freeze?

As bad as the last three hires and one non-hire have been, none of those candidates had a resume as bad as what you are trying to make out (although Dooley’s was close). And yes, I think there is a pretty long list of coaches out there that would say yes to UT, and could do a much better job than what Pruitt has done.
They hire a firm because we haven’t had an AD since Dickey. Fulmer was for the sake of stability and smoothing over problems but he just like every AD we’ve had for ages functions mostly as a figurehead whose main job is to fundraise and appease fans. He’s been able to get some to listen on needs based things but he is not and never will be the man at the top. We don’t have one of those.

Sadly i think this is probably correct. Geez when Gus comes in here and recruiting is stagnant the "he's just sitting on his buyout money with his feet kicked up" crowd is going to be all time brutal. I'd take my chances with Chadwell before Gus.
I don't want Gus. But he'd be a safe hire. He would stabilize us but we wouldn't have the potential to compete for anything with him. I'm with you, I'd rather take a chance with Napier. But I'm just telling you what I think will happen. I do think there are some who want Freeze. Hopefully they win out.

After 15 years on this merry go round keeping a guy after winning 3 games in a season pretty much plants the flag in the ground that we are a 3 win program.

We will hear from the same “can’t fire the guy” posters next year that 6 wins is an improvement.
you're not wrong about that.

but it doesn't matter in regards to this year and what everyone is "ok with".

nobody is ok with 3-7. i mean, like i said, there's really no decision to make on pruitt at this point. his body of work has kinda done that for him, right?

so what could the hold up be then? why would we retain him?

to me, the most obvious answer is that we didn't get good feedback on what we could/would/should do next. while Freeze may certainly be in play, that doesn't mean TN is in play. and if we gauged interest from some other what would we consider top tier candidates and didn't get good feedback....then you are to the point of deciding do we fire the guy and hire another guy that's yet to be determined? or show a little patience, let things shake out elsewhere...and then decide.

basically...the feeling over there may be..."it's ok to punt right now".

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Only one of them was involved in the last search and he isn't making the call this time.

LA, do you think they consider the fallout that may occur with fans and the lack of support next season which also could cost them millions? Cause CP has lost majority of the fan base. Does that play in their decision?

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I

It's only dumb when you fail at it...
from a fan persoective maybe. but in terms of a kid being able to make a well rounded decision, it makes no sense to have a early date in middle of December.

if you want to have an early date have it before school starts. then, again in Feb.

kids need to see how bowl practice is, team chemistry, and any or most coaching changes. its a huge expense on schools and a burden on families, just stupid.

Reactions: jakez4ut
from a fan persoective maybe. but in terms of a kid being able to make a well rounded decision, it makes no sense to have a early date in middle of December.

if you want to have an early date have it before school starts. then, again in Feb.

kids need to see how bowl practice is, team chemistry, and any or most coaching changes. its a huge expense on schools and a burden on families, just stupid.
i agree with this. a summer and winter signing date....august/september and again in Feb.....i don't think the 2 month difference currently makes a ton of sense.

Freeze is a fan favorite. A lot of donors and leadership at a lot of schools, not to mention conference leadership, feel differently.
And they are right to feel differently. I will have a huge personal problem if he were to be the UT head coach. I absolutely despise the man, he is a charlatan and I have always said that he was a scumbag charlatan, but I would be forced to hope for his success if he was our head coach...🤷‍♂️

We're going to screw this up aren't we? We'll fire Pruitt on Sunday and hire McGoogle two weeks from now cause our admin and people in charge have no idea what they are doing.

Freeze wants the job. He won at Ole Miss for christ sake. Hire the man.
but but but but sankey

Sadly i think this is probably correct. Geez when Gus comes in here and recruiting is stagnant the "he's just sitting on his buyout money with his feet kicked up" crowd is going to be all time brutal. I'd take my chances with Chadwell before Gus.
Exactly... bring in someone that's hungry

If the alternative is North Dakota State's offensive line coach, yes.

You have much more faith in our admin's decision makers than I do.
you've ready my posts on this today so you know where i stand here.

but....i will say this, the new pres and chancellor and ad are all together different than the ones that were responsible for all this in the past, and we have reason to believe that there is hope on the admin front.

but, they haven't had to deal with this yet, so we "don't know"....

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back