Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Bob_Vols on 247...

Name me coaches who have started their head coaching career in the modern era 16-18 and turned into someone who competed for sec championships or national titles?

I'm not sure this administration cares enough. You've have way more talent in year 3 than year 1 and most of your defense is your guys and you look incredibly worse than you did year 1.

Proof is in the pudding. He needs to be gone yesterday.

i agree with this. a summer and winter signing date....august/september and again in Feb.....i don't think the 2 month difference currently makes a ton of sense.
kid's know a lot sooner than they did 10 years ago. the way the summer 7on7 events are, and kids getting offered Soph season. They just know.

Its just silly.

Reactions: jakez4ut
And they are right to feel differently. I will have a huge personal problem if he were to be the UT head coach. I absolutely despise the man, he is a charlatan and I have always said that he was a scumbag charlatan, but I would be forced to hope for his success if he was our head coach...🤷‍♂️
Same. Same. Same.

It seems Freeze doesn't have much of a chance to come here but there are others to go after. Campbell, Napier, Chadwell, Stoops, and I am sure I am missing a few but all of these have one thing in common that CP never had, HC experience and have been successful where they are HC. Already a huge step forward.

Doesn’t cost jack to replace Friend and his expiring contract, but Pruitt is pushing to renew him.
is he really?
ugh. i'm pretty much out on Friend and Weinke, and i think they'd have to be sacrificial lambs at this point. QB and OL were/have been not great. need upgrades in coaching and performance in both...badly.

LA, do you think they consider the fallout that may occur with fans and the lack of support next season which also could cost them millions? Cause CP has lost majority of the fan base. Does that play in their decision?

Of course, they do. UT runs the numbers for multiple scenarios. Donors provide input. Everybody has opinions. Many different opinions. Some people are going to be mad, no matter what. A knee-jerk reaction leading to another bad hire would outrage people all over again. They're not going to please everybody.

I don't have it in me to root for a Tennessee loss.

I still don't believe a coaching change happens.

But I will say I'm down for whatever.

I'm not emotionally tied to Pruitt. The guy knows how to coach football, and I think in time, here or somewhere else, he's going to be a very good head coach. I think he took over a dumpster fire, and I think he's been dealt a very bad hand during his first three years. And I point specifically to the pandemic, ESD ten days after his first year on the job, and worst of all, being Guarantano'd.

Should he have replaced him sooner? Absolutely. But we have tried IMO, with Chryst the first year and trying unsuccessfully to land others (Minneshew/JT Daniels, etc).

The assistant turnover is concerning, but IMO that is a direct result of hiring a first time head coach who, not that long ago, was in the high school ranks. He doesn't have an established "coaching tree." He doesn't have a long list of "his guys" that he's gone to war with.

I know everyone is doom and gloom on the gump, but I honestly am very curious to see how he would do with steady QB play and a stable of banger backs. I'm not even talking good or elite QB play. Just steady bus driver type (like Bailey has provided thus far). I think we'd see a much better football team.

That said... there is a lot to be frustrated with with regards to this team.

The double digit losses.

0-6 vs the big three and aside from last years Alabama game and the first half of UGA this year (both games we got Gaurantanod) being uncompetitive.

The middle of the SEC recruiting results despite being alleged elite recruiters, etc.

So if you told me a coaching change was happening, I wouldn't bish and moan.

A concern would rest on WHO we brought in. Could we trust the 'decision makers' (the same guys who brought us Dooley and Butch, to make a quality hire.

A concern would be the optics. I'm tired of being a dumpster fire. Tired of the perpetual coaching changes. We're so easy to negatively recruit against. And truthfully, we need stability.

My additional concern would be how making a coaching change the first year of the one time transfer rule would affect our roster. Say what you want, but a lot of the kids who do come to Tennessee have come BECAUSE of Pruitt. Would there be a mass exodus?

Because lets be honest... if guys like HT and a lot of our younger talent leave, and/or the quality upper classmen decide they don't want to be here for a regime change and either declare for the draft etc, then the incoming coach could be facing a major overhaul not unlike what Pruitt dealt with. I mean, Kaidon Salter has specifically said he came here because of this coaching staff. He's a long way from home - could a McGoogle convince him to stay?

But back to the coaching search.... I'm sorry but nothing to me indicates Freeze would be a guy UT would hire.

I'd kill for Lane to return, but that also isn't going to happen.

I could feel somewhat confident in Napier, because he's been tied to good programs coming up and he's cut his teeth a lower level. Plus he's a Tennessee guy and wants to be here.

Chadwell I'm not sold on because of his limited history and the level jump from CC to the SEC.

I could literally see a scenario where we make an underwhelming McGoogle hire or worse, a stale defensive coaching hire like Steele.

Personally I'd want an offensive guy - I think that defense is largely dead anymore. Teams routinely score 40+ even in the SEC.

I'm basically just rambling at this point.

TLDR version: I'm a homer. I love this team. I'm down for whatever happens.

Last edited:
kid's know a lot sooner than they did 10 years ago. the way the summer 7on7 events are, and kids getting offered Soph season. They just know.

Its just silly.
and i can't imagine coaches would be against it, you get the early group in, and you get the whole fall to continue to get visits, evaluations on HS seasons etc...and about 6 months to finish the class.

to me, it makes way too much sense.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
[QUOTE="Aesius, post: 19123163, member: 28212"]I’m down for rolling the dice on a McGoogleMe if it comes to that.

Why not?

Pruitt isn’t gonna get it done and it’s not my money. Sure, it’s possible we hire an absolute clown who finally delivers an 0-12 season and kills off the program for good, but we are basically there anyway. Also, McGoogleMes aren’t guaranteed failures. We might accidentally hire a good coach.[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't think we would have to settle for McGoogleMe this time. We have some pretty good young talent on this roster and some solid candidates out there that would take the job. I know there's others, but Freeze or Gus both have SEC head coaching experience and would likely take the job. There's really no excuse for our AD riding the Cornbread Express all the way to the scene of the crash. None.

you've ready my posts on this today so you know where i stand here.

but....i will say this, the new pres and chancellor and ad are all together different than the ones that were responsible for all this in the past, and we have reason to believe that there is hope on the admin front.

but, they haven't had to deal with this yet, so we "don't know"....
I hope you're right.

If someone wanted to try and argue that things are "different this time" (dangerous words to say) because of Randy Boyd, I suppose I could be kind of swayed. Boyd does seem to come from a totally different school of thought than DiPietro. Seems to be much more business-minded and more likely to understand the importance of successful athletics programs from that perspective.

Reactions: nesbuddha66
i wouldn't be mad. but i'd be a little skeptical. another cincy coach? ehhhhhhhh i realize he's better groomed for a P5 Job at this point than butch was. lol.

I’d breathe a huge sigh of relief if we ended up with Luke Fickell out of all of this. It would be the best football hire we’ve made since Fulmer.

Reactions: SLICKYINC
Thompson will get a shot.

Taylor's a good/ physical athlete, but i'm not convinced he's a good football player. I'd like to see him move over to safety or back to offense.
Taylor’s biggest problem is consistency. He will be 90% great, then some coverage is blown for a touchdown and that 10% is usually costly... not just a 7 yard mistake

Reactions: johnfnkelly
If not for horrible play on the field, I think we could have had Mims, Green, McGhee, Lewis, and Wolfe in this class. Not sure about TID because it seems like UGA convinced him early on to wait on committing, like maybe before the string of losses. Can't honestly remember, but seems like that. But let's say he, as well as the others mentioned had signed with us. That would have been enough to put us at 7th in the 247 recruiting rankings with 25 commits. More importantly, it would have given us 2 elite corners and an elite OT in this class that we don't have. Makes me wonder if we had just beaten KY, Ark, and Aub, and played competitive in our losses, would they have been Vols? We have some great recruiters on staff, but even great recruiters can't overcome losing, especially losing poorly. Not sure how Fulmer legitimately overlooks what happened this season and brings Pruitt back, but I really think he does. This wasn't about COVID. This was about poor coaching across the board. Pruitt was so focused on recruiting, he forgot to coach. His staff forgot to coach. Or worse, they don't know how to coach. And that's a huge issue. I don't think a simple staff reshuffle solves that. Our coaches screwed the pooch this season by not doing the most basic part of their jobs, coaching these young men up. Pruitt is so focused on future talent, he hasn't learned to work with what he has. It's coaching malpractice.
I'm not sure. Wolf wasn't dropped. Kid has injury issues and when asked to rank the two guys we took and him, Hubbs listed him as the worst of the 3. I agree on the rest though. Getting even 2 or 3 of those guys starts the cycle up. Need to get Lewis, Malone, Brooks in this class

Reactions: VOLSONLY
It’s not propaganda from Sexton. People are not making up that this is his dream job. The guy literally broke into Neyland just to tell his just married wife that he will coach there one day.
We have not had a coach who would die to coach at Tennessee since Fulmer. We need someone in the position who we know will give everything to bring us back. Freeze will do that, and he can coach, which is more than we can say for our last few coaches.

And they are right to feel differently. I will have a huge personal problem if he were to be the UT head coach. I absolutely despise the man, he is a charlatan and I have always said that he was a scumbag charlatan, but I would be forced to hope for his success if he was our head coach...🤷‍♂️
A relatively silent and compliant Ulysses E. McGill is a good Ulysses E. McGill. 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back