Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
So depressing

Bama, Clemson, OSU, Oklahoma, Georgia have a full monopoly on the game.

There is a second tier that requires luck or a generational moment (LSU) to compete with that group. Florida, Notre Dame, Texas, Florida State (not now)...

Tier 3 is a large category of schools that could occasionally get to Tier 2 with enough time and stability. These are decent programs that could have a magical season and make a run, but couldn’t sustain it.

Tier 4 is monkey balls, and we are firmly nestled in that group
I'm totally just losing my passion. I'll never stop watching the games, but the last 12 years plus the monopolization of college football by a group of teams you can count on one hand have sucked all the fun out of this.

Opinion: while I think Barnes is overall a great coach, I do think that his style can limit his guards to a certain extent. Speaking specifically of JJJ when I say this. He's so concerned with avoiding mistakes and making "the right play" that sometimes I think it makes him passive. And the reason I attribute that to Barnes and not JJJ himself is because Barnes had the same limiting influence on Jordan Bone.

There were several times in the second half when JJJ was bringing the ball up that I thought he had a chance to force the issue and get into the paint while Bama was still setting up. Instead, he pulls back and initiates from the top, which is exactly what Bama wanted us to do. Contrast that to the time Keon had the ball in the same situation and tears ass straight into the paint, creating a wide open corner three for a teammate because the Bama defense bent under the pressure.

Avoiding mistakes is all well and good, but sometimes you have to go make a play. Against Bama's length, we were a lot more likely to generate a good shot on the break than we were against their half-court defense.

The point was, we are in that 6-15 gaggle of teams. We aren't as clear cut as thought. We are good but not ELITE. Kansas isn't a top 5 team, but they're a top 15 team. TX as well.
I feel like this year has two teams (Gonzaga and Baylor) that stand out, and then a bunch of other teams in that next group. If we can find some more flow on offense then we can reach that level, I hope.

I feel like this year has two teams (Gonzaga and Baylor) that stand out, and then a bunch of other teams in that next group. If we can find some more flow on offense then we can reach that level, I hope.
We need 2 things for that to happen. 1) A primary ball handler. 2) A consistent 3 ball shooter.

Reactions: 31VFL
The point was, we are in that 6-15 gaggle of teams. We aren't as clear cut as thought. We are good but not ELITE. Kansas isn't a top 5 team, but they're a top 15 team. TX as well.
So we are in the 3-15 range. That’s not “def not top 5” you said yourself there 2 teams then a crapshoot. Stop overreacting off of one game. Kansas just lost by 30

Reactions: Volator
Interesting take considering he's never had the opportunity to prove what he would do with more.

Also, Brad Stephens has never had a top 3 roster in the NBA. In a league where talent is the only thing that matters. You can put a mop in for HC of the Lakers and they will still win a title this year.

Great coaches don’t lose by 3 scores to a G5 team. His team then beat OU as an underdog but couldn’t beat them when it mattered.

Just an opinion rooted more into trying to decipher how to identify a future elite coach (stoops, Carroll, Meyer, Saban).

And I agree NBA success is much more about the roster and in general coaching is less valuable. No knock on stephens or Campbell who both are wonderful at their craft.

It was The Ticket. But I rewinded it to get more details and found they were only quoting David Pollack off ESPN.
The only host resembling an insider is Bob Sturm and that only because of his connections contributing to the DMN. Even then I think he gets his info from Twitter. His tweet of “Sark!” was my first awareness of the hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back