Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be a terrible idea. Our O would be worse than UK's
Not saying I like it or want it. But we need to do something. Because what we are doing is not working. If you let Pruitt go and let Fulmer handle interim for a year, you can shop for the best candidate for a year and let Fulmer recruit the state hard for a year. The man knows how to sell UT and recruit.

We need a charismatic AD dedicated to winning. Someone that can unite the boosters to raise money and chase after the big names, unwilling to take no for an answer. That's not Fulmer. But we also need a chancellor and university president dedicated to doing what it takes to win. They need to understand what a winning football program will do for the university.

I wouldn’t like it but it’s better than letting Pruitt continue. Fulmer would lock down this state and leave the next coach some talent. He may even want to prove himself again like Mac. I just want some kind of change to show we care.

Edit: I guarantee Steele would be our DC. I could live with seeing a year with Fulmer HC and Steele DC.

I am convinced Fulmer would love to name Steele HC in a heartbeat, and if everyone gets their wish and Pruitt is sent packing, that very well could be what happens. Steele is 9-36 as HC. Fulmer does not need to hire the next UT head football coach.

Not saying I like it or want it. But we need to do something. Because what we are doing is not working. If you let Pruitt go and let Fulmer handle interim for a year, you can shop for the best candidate for a year and let Fulmer recruit the state hard for a year. The man knows how to sell UT and recruit.
Everyone would be skeptical af but VFLs would help lock the state down with that move.

He did, 20 years ago. Not convinced that's true anymore.

We need a charismatic AD dedicated to winning. Someone that can unite the boosters to raise money and chase after the big names, unwilling to take no for an answer. That's not Fulmer. But we also need a chancellor and university president dedicated to doing what it takes to win. They need to understand what a winning football program will do for the university.

From what I hear, we may have that in Boyd. Just need the other pieces to fall in to place.

I wouldn’t like it but it’s better than letting Pruitt continue. Fulmer would lock down this state and leave the next coach some talent. He may even want to prove himself again like Mac. I just want some kind of change to show we care.

Edit: I guarantee Steele would be our DC. I could live with seeing a year with Fulmer HC and Steele DC.
No omg

He did, 20 years ago. Not convinced that's true anymore.
Why do you think he got an extension as AD? The man is a seller and can charm with the best of them when he wants. He gets donors to donate. His downfall has always been being to loyal to coaches.

Why do you think he got an extension as AD? The man is a seller and can charm with the best of them when he wants. He gets donors to donate. His downfall has always been being to loyal to coaches.
Hamilton got donors to donate. He got the AD job because he was Dickey's money man. Didn't make him a good AD.

Not really. The game has passed him by. Kids these days don't know the name Phillip Fulmer. It would just be reshuffling deck chairs on a sinking ship

IMO, Tom Herman could benefit from a year off the sidelines, either as an off-field analyst for a big program, or in the TV studio. He still has a chance to be a really good coach, but he needs to do a self-evaluation about what went wrong at Texas. His record alone should have been enough to get him another year, but he had apparently alienated every power base in the Texas ecosystem that could have supported him. From the outside it looks and sounds like immaturity issues, and those are problems that can be fixed with some time and humility.

He also needs to open up to some new ideas on offense. His power spread philosophy that worked so well at tOSU and then UH seems to have been figured out by the better defenses. He may be already in the process, there were some flashes this year with Yurcich, and they really looked good the last two games against bad teams when they played a lot of the young guys and all the pressure was off them. Part of his problem has been playing players by seniority and giving rotations without regard to who is actually the best player at the position.

Since it seems like we aren't going to make a move for next season, we might end up getting a better version of Tom Herman a year from now. I think he should have a second act in him if he just does some self-reflection.

Tom Herman could say that about nearly every team he faced at Texas except for OU (debatable), LSU and UGA, and he won 64% of his games there. If Sark wins all the games at Texas where he has better talent than the other team, he'll do just fine.
Time will tell. Bama has a different level of talent than anyone. Particularly what Sark has had to work with.

Reactions: Dudley Smith
Not really. The game has passed him by. Kids these days don't know the name Phillip Fulmer. It would just be reshuffling deck chairs on a sinking ship
Like I’ve said, Interim...... One year rental to target who we want and have everyone rowing the in same direction.

Just curious how he'd be able to sell it to recruits. If he's definitely only a 1 year guy then you're recruiting a kid that has no clue what system he's being recruited to or the staff he'll be playing under. Other schools would negative recruit that to oblivion, plus the recruiting game has had to change since he was a HC. I think we'd have a hard time locking down the state or any top tier recruit that wouldn't come here regardless.

However all of those things aren't all that different with a lame duck coach which unless he pulls a miraculous turnaround we're going to have next year anyway. Kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for us (which we could avoid by hiring an exciting coach now but that looks like that's not happening).

I am convinced Fulmer would love to name Steele HC in a heartbeat, and if everyone gets their wish and Pruitt is sent packing, that very well could be what happens. Steele is 9-36 as HC. Fulmer does not need to hire the next UT head football coach.
Fulmer wanted to hire Steele during the last search.

Reactions: MrVolton
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back