Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with OP saying this would not be a good look for us at all. Many people and not just media, already view as spoiled, entitled children. We need to support any new coach, at this point.
Wouldn’t it be a hell of a lot easier to support Freeze, who would have us winning the east in three years, as opposed to Marrone. A good year for Marrone is going to be 8-4. Freeze isn’t the only coach I’m open to, btw.

There’s no way of knowing who can get us where we should be tho. Unless you hire someone like Urban Meyer, Jimbo Fisher.... that has literally won at the highest level. It’s all a complete crap shoot. A guy i used to work with used to say Being the head coach at Tennessee is like being the president of the US.... you are never fully prepared until you are actually in the chair. I whole heartedly believe that.

Even the best candidates they may not even be realistic for us could come here and be an absolute flop. Matt Campbell, Kiffin, Freeze, Lincoln Riley, whoever. It’s never a guarantee.

I’m just ready to get someone in here and see what they can do.
You’re right, we will never truly know until after the hire, but it’s an even worse look to me to say we’re totally committed to winning and then Fulmer hire one of his buddies who doesn’t have a winning record at any stop he’s been to.

Wouldn’t it be a hell of a lot easier to support Freeze, who would have us winning the east in three years, as opposed to Marrone. A good year for Marrone is going to be 8-4. Freeze isn’t the only coach I’m open to, btw.

I like to think that UT is such a powerful brand that it elevates whatever coach is here. It made butch Jones look like a great coach at times.... it made people believe Pruitt was a great coach. Both have proven to be bad or horrible head coaches.

Even if we hired someone that may be an “average” coach by some peoples measures.... i would like to think that would elevate them to solid or good just off the power, brand, and resources alone. I guess that’s why I’m so open to basically anybody. Probably being a little bit of a homer but oh well.

Absolutely it would. Do you think it has a glimmer of a chance of happening? I don't think it does. I think the vast majority here would be happy if we hired Freeze. I am just saying if it is Marrone, or (much worse) Steele, we don't need to riot about it.

I like to think that UT is such a powerful brand that it elevates whatever coach is here. It made butch Jones look like a great coach at times.... it made people believe Pruitt was a great coach. Both have proven to be bad or horrible head coaches.

Even if we hired someone that may be an “average” coach by some peoples measures.... i would like to think that would elevate them to solid or good just off the power, brand, and resources alone. I guess that’s why I’m so open to basically anybody. Probably being a little bit of a homer but oh well.
Come on man, all you have to do is look at the past 15 years, barring Kiffin. Dooley looked like a below average coach. Pruitt looks like a below average coach. The only thing that made Butch look decent was his knack for catchy phrases and Josh Dobbs. So if UT elevates coaches, what does that tell you about who our administration is hiring?

If we would have hired Patterson when we had the chance at TCU, we might still be relevant.

Ding, ding, ding. But he was not sophisticated and blue blood bred in SEC football for the elites of K-town. 177-74 and 11-6 in bowls from the smallest school in the conference and building them from nothing. All while playing a mean guitar. 13 years later we are still saying, "wut?"

Is Steele on campus already? If he is, what in the world are they telling the kids?
I don't know, I don't think any of the players are back as of yet. From a pure business decision, being coached as a LB by Steele has eased HT's mind. First goal is to get to the NFL per Swain, regardless of what happens to JP.

You’re right, we will never truly know until after the hire, but it’s an even worse look to me to say we’re totally committed to winning and then Fulmer hire one of his buddies who doesn’t have a winning record at any stop he’s been to.
Yea i mean i get it don’t get me wrong. There’s a ton of question marks if you hired Marrone... but i will be open to it because ,taking out the connection to fulmer, i think it’s an outside the box hire.

Marrone has been better than a lot of coaches in the NFL that have had a success at the college level (spurrier, Petrino, saban, carrol pre russel Wilson, butch Davis etc). And i think he could build a great staff of coaches, not primarily recruiters.

Swain putting some perspective on Wanya this morning in a very respectful way.
Cliffs:
WM didn't embrace the "re-recruitment" process once arriving to UT.
Has all the potential but it starts with him. If he doesn't put the work in, it won't matter where he transfers to, it will be the same result unless he understands the work that's needed to reach the NFL.

He needs a change of scenery then. A new coach would have done that too

Ding, ding, ding. But he was not sophisticated and blue blood bred in SEC football for the elites of K-town. 177-74 and 11-6 in bowls from the smallest school in the conference and building them from nothing. All while playing a mean guitar. 13 years later we are still saying, "wut?"

And he was fat. Let’s not forget the fat issue. We wanted a better “look” for our program. Hence Kiffin.

Reactions: Vols4us
There’s no way of knowing who can get us where we should be tho. Unless you hire someone like Urban Meyer, Jimbo Fisher.... that has literally won at the highest level. It’s all a complete crap shoot. A guy i used to work with used to say Being the head coach at Tennessee is like being the president of the US.... you are never fully prepared until you are actually in the chair. I whole heartedly believe that.

Even the best candidates they may not even be realistic for us could come here and be an absolute flop. Matt Campbell, Kiffin, Freeze, Lincoln Riley, whoever. It’s never a guarantee.

I’m just ready to get someone in here and see what they can do.

Did UT make a real push for Jimbo? I know A&M has a lot of money. I feel like Jimbo could have been a big catch for Tennessee and I never really heard any news back then about Tennessee really making a strong effort.

But the Aggies haven’t even fired their current coach, putting them behind Tennessee, which parted ways with Butch Jones on Sunday after five seasons and also reportedly is interested in Fisher. Multiple coaches have told Football Scoop’s Scott Roussel that Fisher would be “willing to listen” to what Tennessee has to say.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nessee-reportedly-have-eyes-for-jimbo-fisher/

Come on man, all you have to do is look at the past 15 years, barring Kiffin. Dooley looked like a below average coach. Pruitt looks like a below average coach. The only thing that made Butch look decent was his knack for catchy phrases and Josh Dobbs. So if UT elevates coaches, what does that tell you about who our administration is hiring?

Butch looked good because he was able to quickly flip a bad roster left by Dooley and added a lot of NFL caliber players. Butch got Dobbs to flip on signing day and Dobbs developed here into a great college QB. Someone either butch, or an assistant, had something to do with that, so i don’t buy into holding a good QB against a coach. Is jimbo fisher considered an elite coach if you take out Jameis Winston’s title and playoff appearance?

Also why are you barring Kiffin? It was a stupid hire. We were an elite program at that time and had far more quality candidates wanting the job, yet Hamilton chose to take a super risk. I think you could make the case that kiffin was the worst hire of them all because it’s the only time in our last 4 hires that Ut was looked at as a very desirable job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back