Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just listening to that tool Mike Farrell on Full Ride talk about Henry T and the future of transfers within the conference. He’s saying that in June or July the SEC will propose that you can allow a player to play immediately if he transfers to another SEC school if the school he transfers to gives up 2 scholarships, otherwise the player sits out a year.

If the SEC does that, we might see an exodus of SEC athletes to other conferences. Using two scholarships will make SEC teams hesitant to take SEC transfers, but not the rest of the country. Right now SEC teams have a talent advantage vs every other conference. Combine immediate eligibility with pay for NIL and every second stringer will listen closely to tales about how much they might make as an immediate starter elsewhere. It may come down to whether the SEC would rather have intra-league turnover or bleed young backup talent to other P5 conferences.

Last edited:
If the SEC does that, we might see an exodus of SEC athletes to other conferences. Using two scholarships will make SEC teams hesitant to take SEC transfers, but not the rest of the country. Right now SEC teams have a talent advantage vs every other conference. Combine immediate eligility with pay for NIL and every second stringer will listen closely to tales about how much they might make as an immediate starter elsewhere. It may come down to whether the SEC would rather have intra-league turnover or bleed young backup talent to other P5 conferences.
That’s a good point. They also need to weigh short term gains versus long term potential wealth seeing how many more players the SEC puts in the League compared to every other conference.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Somebody help this cat! He smoked more than 2.5 marijuanas!

funny-cat-gifs-217-06.gif

He gone.

Reactions: StoVol
I'm afraid there will be many unintended consequences that could ultimately ruin the sports. I ran Track & CC in college (only say that because been there/done that/got the T-shirt) and I'm not for college athletes being paid.

I don't pretend to know the ends and outs of every subject here but: 1) Only major football and a few Basketball programs make money 2) Players aren't suffering the way that's being presented 3) Except for football, every other sport has another path to Pro sports (and that's only 1.6% anyway that go Pro) leading to 4) It's a personal choice to play intercollegiate athletics, no one is forced to do it.

I'm really afraid of the end product that's going to come of this, and I predict that in the foreseeable future many of us will no longer be fans of college athletics because of what it will turn into.
This is exactly what I have been saying. Those talking about the poor athlete are not taking into consideration what this will do to college sports especially football. Edit...and this will have an effect on the athlete as well.

Last edited:
Just listening to that tool Mike Farrell on Full Ride talk about Henry T and the future of transfers within the conference. He’s saying that in June or July the SEC will propose that you can allow a player to play immediately if he transfers to another SEC school if the school he transfers to gives up 2 scholarships, otherwise the player sits out a year.
😳

If the SEC does that, we might see an exodus of SEC athletes to other conferences. Using two scholarships will make SEC teams hesitant to take SEC transfers, but not the rest of the country. Right now SEC teams have a talent advantage vs every other conference. Combine immediate eligibility with pay for NIL and every second stringer will listen closely to tales about how much they might make as an immediate starter elsewhere. It may come down to whether the SEC would rather have intra-league turnover or bleed young backup talent to other P5 conferences.
I agree with this. I think a good alternative would be to limit how many SEC inner conference transfers a school can take. Limit the incoming SEC transfers a school can take to 2-3 or somewhere along those lines. This way you don’t lose talent to other leagues, but it’s not quite a free for all on conference.

Essentially though if someone is making money off the likeness of another person, that person is entitled to receive a portion of the funds. I think it has less ripple effects to the other sports than people think. As long as the universities aren't required to pay the athletes anything additional I see no real issue with star athletes making money for doing an appearance or running a camp.
Agree...but I can see how this can be so easily manipulated by boosters.

I know not everyone is following it closely - but don't forget, there's a reason that these 'immediate' steps are scheduled to take place starting July 1, 2021. That's because the Supreme Court is going to give their ruling on the NCAA amateurism model in the NCAA v Alston case, in June. Based on preliminary comments several of the Justices have made, I expect the NCAA to be ruled against, thus allowing/forcing the NCAA's hand in regards to how it handles issues such as name image and likeness. I expect once this ruling is handed down, the NCAA will implement some broad brushed approach to keep the individual conferences/schools from doing it so there's at very least some uniformity to it. The NCAA is going to be forced to stop dragging their feet on these types of issues. It's my opinion that they have a model in place (based on the fact they've been discussing it for several years now), and are waiting until their mandated to actually apply it.

Regardless of NCAA action, the State of Tennessee's law would go into effect Jan. 1, 2022 based on the reports I read earlier this week. So, in regards to the recruiting landscape, we're talking about the landscape being even by the time the 2022 recruiting class would be on campus.
So GA will have no advantage for starting in July?

Agree...but I can see how this can be so easily manipulated by boosters.
I can also see where the few instances of today spiral into multiple instances. Could this also create locker room issues? Again, I think we really need to understand this from all angles.

Another point, are we looking at this from the wrong angle? The crux seems to be the NCAA making billions off athletes (and I get the angst). We seem to wan to address this from the athlete side, but instead can we address this from the NCAA side?

Another point, are we looking at this from the wrong angle? The crux seems to be the NCAA making billions off athletes (and I get the angst). We seem to wan to address this from the athlete side, but instead can we address this from the NCAA side?

My opinion is that this problem began a long time ago, when colleges learned they could make big money from athletics. Then broadcast radio and TV networks started making big money too. And advertisers, local business people, large corporations, etc. The whole thing got so big that it distorted the incentives of our tertiary educational system, even extending down to the high school level. That's not the only process distorting our educational system, obviously, but these monetary sums are now huge and tend to work contradictory to the ostensible goals of higher education, IMO.

I don't have answers at this point, but I would not be upset if organized athletics in America were de-emphasized at every level, particularly the "amateur" level to include colleges and universities. I don't think that will happen voluntarily, but it's likely coming for involuntary reasons sooner or later.

Last edited:
If HT is waiting does that mean it would have an effect on Payton who transferred from Mississippi State?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back