Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the issue is the pitchers. Anderson doesn’t teach a slide step and wants pitchers to keep their motions.
Slide step is one of the worst inventions in baseball…. Alot of times it’s not that much quicker and it negatively effects pitching velocity and location.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I think he surpasses what Barry does in Detroit. Different kind of running backs. Sanders pure liquid fire natural runner...but part of that was outrunning his blocking. So without a blocking back or the use of H-backs/TE's he thrived DESPITE anyone trying to burst him free. The Dallas Cowboys were a dynasty so of course essential parts of the team are going to get their due credit. But that dynasty could sub in Buerlein for Aikman and win at least one SB with no real free agency at the time to cut into their depth. But Nate Newton and Mark Tuinei were the only OL constants for all 3 SB wins. Newton was a journeyman before Jimmy picked him up and Tuinei was drafted as a DL...so they were interchangeable i.e. replaceable. You could quibble with Irvin because he was an alpha dog and added that vital element, but Jimmy had a knack for finding guys and ONCE AGAIN the whole offensive scheme was centered on pounding the opposing defense with Emmitt. That wasn't Barry Sanders game. He was a homerun waiting to happen every play but when the opposing D focused he could be tackled for significant losses. He played in 5 total playoff games. The last of those he contributed -1, 40 and 65 rushing yards respectively. I'm sure you chalk that up to not running behind a HOF OL that had one HOF inductee who was in college for the first two SB's. I chalk it up to OL's being at a disadvantage with his freelancing. That made him great but didn't make his OL look as good. This discussion got started because Emmitt appreciated the Big Uglies because they were a means to his greatness...not "pretty good"ness. Better run organizations prolly set up Payton and/or Sanders with an insurmountable lead on the all-time rushing RECORD. But the stats are irrelevant to Emmitt Smith's overall place in history. He earned every molecule of the credit he receives.

Surpasses Barry? Good grief man. Sanders was a much better RB. And Barry would have set records in Dallas that likely would never be broken. Yes Emmit earned everything he got. But the fact is he benefitted from a great team and coach. That is not a knock on him by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back