Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best case scenario of this season and quite honestly program is if Chryst never sees the field.
tenor.gif

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Dooley did almost nothing right but he did start the VFL program. Butch was very bad, but he did have some good ideas.

Yeah, maybe, but I think checker Neyland was initiated by the fans. To me that was what was so impressive. With 2 weeks to pull it off the first time it turned out to be iconic well beyond my expectations.

I figured from the beginning it would be better for the program if JG won the job - but he would need to win the job, not just be in a situation where Chryst did not meet expectations. Putting together the scraps of information we get, it appears maybe a little of both is true.

The QB position makes me nervous, but if we can get adequate play and keep the front 7 on D healthy it should be an interesting season.

It feels so good to look forward to watching football again
My thinking is that Chryst came in better than JG. If JG has won the job, then hopefully he has improved enough to pass Chryst and be the better player- that’s good news. Also, JG is young enough that he’s expected to improve some over his career- Chryst has likely already reached nearer to his ceiling.

Reactions: volinbama256
Man i was looking at Ramel Keytons stats in his first two games and how crazy they were with him and Bailey ballin out and noticed they lost both games and was wondering how the heck that happens with so much talent. Then I looked a little deeper into their schedule and mother of god their first 5 games are rough. If theres a tougher schedule in the nation for a high school id be surprised

Their school (Marietta) is ranked 68th in the nation and 7th in GA on Maxpreps. And they get to play:
Rome GA- 14th in the nation, #2 in GA (Lost 51-41)
Our Lady of Good Counsel (MD) - 35th in the nation, #4 in MD
Collins Hill- Trash
Grayson GA - 17th in the nation, #3 in GA
St. Johns College (MD) - 5th in the nation and #1 in MD

They also play the #119 team and 13th best in the state in game 7.

Feels like our 4 game run in the middle of the season. If Keyton keeps up those stats, against that level, hes gotta keep moving up in the rankings.

Florida is returning 10 starters on offense. That should be a matter of some concern. They are as unproven at QB as we are, I think.

I think FL may have a better receiving corps than WVU but I don't think their QB is in the same league. All we have to do is stop the run. They'll probably be 3-0 coming into Neyland and probably ranked in both the AP & Coaches polls. It should be our 2nd win of the year over a top 25 opponent.

My thinking is that Chryst came in better than JG. If JG has won the job, then hopefully he has improved enough to pass Chryst and be the better player- that’s good news. Also, JG is young enough that he’s expected to improve some over his career- Chryst has likely already reached nearer to his ceiling.
I agree with you , but remember JG is going into his third year at UT... he has now basically completed three yrs of off season work and camp... I hope he continues to improve, but unfortunately I think what we see is what we are going to get for this season and next. The kicker is the whole Butch/bad mojo/team quitting/Oline situation last year that may have masked his real potential. We will see Saturday.

Reactions: crazyguy
Counter pointless hypothetical, if JG has a good game, wins, and KC doesn't play, will you be happy or sad?
Agnostic. Regardless if we don't have a TD by drive 3, unless we get saddled with bad field position, KC will be in for 2-3 possessions. Unless JG takes charge, we rotate QBs. Until the FL game.

Man i was looking at Ramel Keytons stats in his first two games and how crazy they were with him and Bailey ballin out and noticed they lost both games and was wondering how the heck that happens with so much talent. Then I looked a little deeper into their schedule and mother of god their first 5 games are rough. If theres a tougher schedule in the nation for a high school id be surprised

Their school (Marietta) is ranked 68th in the nation and 7th in GA on Maxpreps. And they get to play:
Rome GA- 14th in the nation, #2 in GA (Lost 51-41)
Our Lady of Good Counsel (MD) - 35th in the nation, #4 in MD
Collins Hill- Trash
Grayson GA - 17th in the nation, #3 in GA
St. Johns College (MD) - 5th in the nation and #1 in MD

They also play the #119 team and 13th best in the state in game 7.

Feels like our 4 game run in the middle of the season. If Keyton keeps up those stats, against that level, hes gotta keep moving up in the rankings.
Mariettas line is trash. So you have to take that into account. Bailey doesn't have a lot of time

Reactions: Ertel
Surprising to see Herbie go out on a limb. He's one of the few analysts who's looking at the talent level, instead of getting caught up in the 4-8 narrative.

Living in Nashville, I am certain he is well aware of the talent and off season buzz across the state. Have some cousins who's kids went to one of his younger son's birthday party and when UT came up, he was apparently surprisingly well-versed with our roster and talent level. He mentioned the instant impact of Fitz and having finally a solid coaching staff from top to bottom... Now he could have been just appeasing the parents/locals, but my cousin said he seemed to be genuine.

Reactions: LA Vol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back