Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love coach Pruitt. I’m a believer. I believe that what we’re seeing at Georgia we will see here in the next couple of years. Once he gets the talent in, nobody’s gonna want to play us. Call me a sheep, I don’t care, the Vols are back baby, and we’re fixing to take over.

“This is the first of a bunch of em”

That's the Bass I like to see!!

“I like our guys on the offensive line,” Pruitt said. “I believe in them. I think the guys are hard-nosed. I think they fight. We have to execute a little better. I think as this season goes and those guys get to playing together and play the same positions over and over, I think they will do that. I really do.”

One of the major consensus concerns fans and observers have about our football team is the offensive line. The offensive line is the key to our success or lack thereof on offense. Whether it is running the ball or protecting the passer so goes the offensive line so goes the offense.

As onlookers we often default to lack of talent or physical development/maturity as the reason we have subpar performance on our offensive line. That may not be correct or even close.

The two most important keys to success for an offensive linemen aside from talent and physical development are technique and assignment. In 2017, by all accounts, Rock Gullickson ran a NFL quality strength and conditioning program at UT. At the end of 2017 he was replaced by another NFL veteran, Craig Fitzgerald.

The one thing we know from Fingers practice reports is that our offensive linemen have spent many hours working on technique. The film doesn’t lie.

That leaves assignments. Both against WVU and this past week against ETSU Pruitt has said our offensive linemen have had to deal with defensive linemen who are stemming. Stunting and stemming are, as I understand it, movement by the defensive linemen designed to confuse the blockers in regards to their assignments.

Phil Steele and others track offensive line starts as one of the key metrics in forecasting the measure of success an offense can statistically expect based on an established historical correlation.

The key to building and maintaining a good offensive line is thought to be physical talent/development, technique development, and assignment understanding. All three of these areas are a product of time and experience. It is always said that an offensive line has to be five guys performing as a single unit. With all the position shuffling we’ve been doing we should be getting closer to a point where our guys know the assignments for just about every other position on the line.

We’ve started off slow on the offensive line in both games so far but we’ve continued to have negative yardage plays, albeit with less frequency, on most of the succeeding drives over the course of the games.

I think the issue with our offensive line is primarily confusion and lack of confidence. I also think the more experience we can gain the more we are likely to improve. Experience, it is said, is often the best teacher. It is also said sometimes we learn more from our mistakes than from our successes.

Eliminating confusion will likely lead to increased confidence and collectively that has the likelihood of molding our offensive line into a cohesive unit. The journey to that objective is along a thoroughfare known as experience.

If Pruitt is to be believed in regards to the guys on our offensive line then the thing we as fans absolutely do not have is the one thing we require most in supporting Coach Friend and our offensive line, patience. Jmo.
I've said for years that strength and speed on the ol isn't our problem. Technique and knowing exactly where to be and who to block have been the issue. Usually when a dl is in the backfield, he didn't run over our guy or fly by him too fast; it's usually because our guy didn't even try to block him or he stepped the wrong way and couldn't recover in time for anything but a chip.

Sorry but Georgia vs an NFL QB is more appealing to the nation that TN-Fla.

MSU-Ky is a stretch but at best our game is 3rd in the pecking order
MSU-UK is not even close to being a better game for TV in September than UT-UF. It wouldn’t matter if the Vols and Gators were literally the worst two teams in FBS. MSU and UK have smaller fanbases and infinitely less national draw/interest. If we were talking November and UK and MSU were both top-10 or something at that point... yeah, I know I should stop the morning drinking.

Reactions: SugarCC
It’s been my thinking that yeah, we might not get a top 5 class this year, but the guys we do get will end up giving everything they have to this program. Every ounce of potential will be reached based on our coaching staff, S&C program, and our culture change.
I don’t think this is going to help though, we’re too far behind other programs with regards to elite talent. We need ELITE game changing guys who are also bought into the program, that’s what makes a great football team. We can be good recruiting the way that you suggest- and yes that’s going to be better than where we are- but if we really want to make a move, we need to get elite.

MSU-UK is not even close to being a better game for TV in September than UT-UF. It wouldn’t matter if the Vols and Gators were literally the worst two teams in FBS. MSU and UK have smaller fanbases and infinitely less national draw/interest. If we were talking November and UK and MSU were both top-10 or something at that point... yeah, I know I should stop the morning drinking.
Agree, and to your point, USC vs UTexas are getting national advertising, and those programs are both hot garbage.

“I like our guys on the offensive line,” Pruitt said. “I believe in them. I think the guys are hard-nosed. I think they fight. We have to execute a little better. I think as this season goes and those guys get to playing together and play the same positions over and over, I think they will do that. I really do.”

One of the major consensus concerns fans and observers have about our football team is the offensive line. The offensive line is the key to our success or lack thereof on offense. Whether it is running the ball or protecting the passer so goes the offensive line so goes the offense.

As onlookers we often default to lack of talent or physical development/maturity as the reason we have subpar performance on our offensive line. That may not be correct or even close.

The two most important keys to success for an offensive linemen aside from talent and physical development are technique and assignment. In 2017, by all accounts, Rock Gullickson ran a NFL quality strength and conditioning program at UT. At the end of 2017 he was replaced by another NFL veteran, Craig Fitzgerald.

The one thing we know from Fingers practice reports is that our offensive linemen have spent many hours working on technique. The film doesn’t lie.

That leaves assignments. Both against WVU and this past week against ETSU Pruitt has said our offensive linemen have had to deal with defensive linemen who are stemming. Stunting and stemming are, as I understand it, movement by the defensive linemen designed to confuse the blockers in regards to their assignments.

Phil Steele and others track offensive line starts as one of the key metrics in forecasting the measure of success an offense can statistically expect based on an established historical correlation.

The key to building and maintaining a good offensive line is thought to be physical talent/development, technique development, and assignment understanding. All three of these areas are a product of time and experience. It is always said that an offensive line has to be five guys performing as a single unit. With all the position shuffling we’ve been doing we should be getting closer to a point where our guys know the assignments for just about every other position on the line.

We’ve started off slow on the offensive line in both games so far but we’ve continued to have negative yardage plays, albeit with less frequency, on most of the succeeding drives over the course of the games.

I think the issue with our offensive line is primarily confusion and lack of confidence. I also think the more experience we can gain the more we are likely to improve. Experience, it is said, is often the best teacher. It is also said sometimes we learn more from our mistakes than from our successes.

Eliminating confusion will likely lead to increased confidence and collectively that has the likelihood of molding our offensive line into a cohesive unit. The journey to that objective is along a thoroughfare known as experience.

If Pruitt is to be believed in regards to the guys on our offensive line then the thing we as fans absolutely do not have is the one thing we require most in supporting Coach Friend and our offensive line, patience. Jmo.

GREAT Insight and info Chatta, THANKS!

I don’t think this is going to help though, we’re too far behind other programs with regards to elite talent. We need ELITE game changing guys who are also bought into the program, that’s what makes a great football team. We can be good recruiting the way that you suggest- and yes that’s going to be better than where we are- but if we really want to make a move, we need to get elite.
IMO, we can make a move with good talent and not elite. If we can get some good talent and the occasional elite guy or two, and we show some decent improvement, the elite guys will take notice. We are so far behind right now that it will be a slow and arduous rebuild that will take years. We have to get back to where KY, SC, Vandy, and Missouri are pretty much automatic wins. Then we should be able to attract more elite talent.

Agree

I change my op. We are 3rd behind Bama-A&M and georgia-Mizzu

IMO, we can make a move with good talent and not elite. If we can get some good talent and the occasional elite guy or two, and we show some decent improvement, the elite guys will take notice. We are so far behind right now that it will be a slow and arduous rebuild that will take years. We have to get back to where KY, SC, Vandy, and Missouri are pretty much automatic wins. Then we should be able to attract more elite talent.

All it really takes is 1-2 elite guys and after the next offseason I think we may be close or there.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Taylor likely would’ve been a 5 Star corner had he played in high school.

Thompson as an .8900 composite definitely seems under ranked.

To your point, it is going to be very interesting come years end, and looking at who were the big contributors to the season.

It’s been my thinking that yeah, we might not get a top 5 class this year, but the guys we do get will end up giving everything they have to this program. Every ounce of potential will be reached based on our coaching staff, S&C program, and our culture change.

Sounds so elementary- but hearing about equal reps throughout the team and how if you want to play on Saturday - you better grind m-f, just hearing that and seeing it implemented warms my ever loving football heart.

yeah, agree, it's crazy to think that something that should be a given inside our football program, was actually lacking for so many years... Makes you feel a little bad for the kids that came through the past five years thinking the amount of potential, development, and opportunity that was probably wasted.
One theme that seems to remain constant so far no matter who you talk to (latest Randolph), is that we finally have a true hard-nosed, intelligent coaching staff from top to bottom.

Winning will bring the elite.

Interesting-- Jacob Copeland was out for the KY game (said undisclosed) and could return in 1-2 weeks... anyone have specific info on this? Injury or discipline?

The Vols and Gators are at the bottom of the SEC. There's not going to be much excitement around this game other than the two fanbases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back