Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Vols and Gators are at the bottom of the SEC. There's not going to be much excitement around this game other than the two fanbases.
I’m not saying there would be “excitement” about the game nationally, but there will always be more interest nationally. Kind of like Michigan-Michigan State will always be more interesting than Purdue-Rutgers. Always.

Edit: Comparing to UK-MSU. There’s a much better argument that UGA-Mizzou could be a better TV game than UT-UF, though it’s not a slam-dunk.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Reactions: Brillovol
The Vols and Gators are at the bottom of the SEC. There's not going to be much excitement around this game other than the two fanbases.
While this is true, I have to believe there would be more eyes on our game than anything involving Mississippi State or Kentucky.

Interesting-- Jacob Copeland was out for the KY game (said undisclosed) and could return in 1-2 weeks... anyone have specific info on this? Injury or discipline?
A guy I work with is a huge Gators fan. He is saying they announced it an as injury although there is a rumor circulating that it is a suspension. He's a lot of drama according to my buddy.

Also he tweeted out right after the game that his cousin died. So it may just be he isn't in the right mindset to perform well. I would say that is a big adjustment that it may be taking him time to adapt. jmo.

Texas quotable: Tom Herman blames slow second-half start on his being too hard on players at halftime

I think Herman is kinda a combo of Dooley and Butch. This is his excuse for letting Tulsa back in the game in the 3rd quarter saying he shouldn't have yelled at them at halftime. hahaha. So butch.

A lot of the responsibility for the way that we played in the third quarter, and probably early fourth, was on me. You know, I wanted to make sure that we didn't get complacent at halftime. I wanted to make sure that we came out and played hard. I was pretty hard on our guys at halftime, and I think you sensed a little bit of that pressing again. So I've got to remember what brought us to that point of being up 21-0, and that was playing loose and playing care free."

Last week he reminded me of Dooley comparing his players to a big strong retarded guy, Lenny from Of Mice and Men.

Texas' Herman cites 'Of Mice and Men' after loss

Texas, Herman said Monday, was like the simple but brutish Lennie from Steinbeck's classic "Of Mice and Men." The Longhorns tried so hard to win that they killed their chance to do it.

"Lennie wanted so badly to touch the rabbit and play with the rabbit -- he squeezed it so hard, he killed the rabbit," Herman said, noting he told linebacker Gary Johnson to read the book. "I know that seems maybe out there a little bit. I think that's what the first quarter was. We wanted it so badly, we got in our own way quite a bit."

Herman mangled the analogy a bit. In the novel, Lennie kills a puppy, a mouse and a woman and only dreams of rabbits. And Lennie gets killed at the end.

Texas quotable: Tom Herman blames slow second-half start on his being too hard on players at halftime

I think Herman is kinda a combo of Dooley and Butch. This is his excuse for letting Tulsa back in the game in the 3rd quarter saying he shouldn't have yelled at them at halftime. hahaha. So butch.

Last week he reminded me of Dooley comparing his players to a big strong retarded guy, Lenny from Of Mice and Men.

I really thought Herman would be successful. Surprised at how poorly that team looks a few years in.

@butchna what’s the deal down there? Is it that hard to win at Texas?

Reactions: volsfan_17

Way to go, Tom. You've just replaced Rommel and "five star hearts" for the worst analogy in recent years.

To be honest, I wouldn’t really mind a noon kickoff. Neyland collectively gets as tight as a mosquito’s ass when the Gators come in so it might be good for us to let this game fly under the radar.
Exactly my thinking on this. A noon kickoff would almost take a little pressure off IMO. Wouldn't bother me at all.

Exactly my thinking on this. A noon kickoff would almost take a little pressure off IMO. Wouldn't bother me at all.
I think VOLS tend to play better at night in the past. Fans are rowdy and the temperature is great. (Florida teams seem to thrive in heat)

Reactions: SugarCC
A guy I work with is a huge Gators fan. He is saying they announced it an as injury although there is a rumor circulating that it is a suspension. He's a lot of drama according to my buddy.

Also he tweeted out right after the game that his cousin died. So it may just be he isn't in the right mindset to perform well. I would say that is a big adjustment that it may be taking him time to adapt. jmo.

Thanks!

There was a reason momma wanted him to leave the state.

YOUTH IS GOING TO BE SERVED, ON DEFENSE ESPECIALLY
This isn’t exactly a bold statement considering how many newcomers Pruitt played in the opener, but Saturday’s game only reinforced not just the notion that a lot of new guys are going to play on defense, but that Tennessee needs for them too.

Two new faces announced loudly and clearly on Saturday that they’re going to be pieces of the puzzle moving forward. Freshman Bryce Thompson got his first career start on Saturday and may have been the best defensive player on the field. He had one interception that he returned inside the Bucs' five yard line, nearly had another on a sensational pass break-up late in the game that showed some serious athleticism and instincts and he finished four tackles and two TFLs.

Let’s just say that Thompson looks like a keeper.

Thompson looked like a potential star in the making in the secondary but the brightest spot of the day may have been defensive lineman Emmitt Gooden. The junior college transfer finished his first afternoon in Neyland Stadium with a team high eight tackles, three TFLs and the Vols’ lone sack of the afternoon. He also drew a holding call when he burst through the line once nearly unimpeded.
He is most definitely a work in progress as he heads into his third college game week, but he’s also got some obvious tools to work with.

At 6-foot-3, 305 pounds Gooden has the strength and athleticism to be disruptive in the middle, something this defense desperately needs.
Elsewhere, Alontae Taylor may have slipped behind Thompson last week but he’s not going to do anything but get better. As mentioned above Deandre Johnson looks like he may be able to carve out some more snaps at outside linebacker and freshmen defensive linemen John Mincy and Kingston Harris both got meaningful snaps on Saturday.

Tennessee is going to have some growing pains on defense, but the Vols have some intriguing young talent on that side of the ball that’s going to receive some excellent coaching. How much can they develop in one fall, while getting ready for a game every week? That’s a matter of some debate but I think you’ll see Tennessee make tangible progress on that side of the ball over the course of the season.
- Rob Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back