Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe I've actually been watching the Grammy's.

But the hip hop tribute was actually pretty cool.

Questlove put it to together, who is basically hip-hop culture in the flesh. They did well by putting it in his hands.

Grandmaster Flash
Run DMC
LL Cool J
Salt N Pepa
Rakim
Public Enemy
De La Soul

The above being included is pretty significant, because a lot of artists boycotted the Grammy's in the 80's/90's

Scarface
Ice-T
Latifah
Method Man (Wu-Tang)
Big Boi (Outkast)
Busta Rhymes
Missy Elliott
Nelly
Too Short
Lox

I could have done with more 90's/00's acts, but I can get why they had to tie it all together with Lil Baby, GloRilla, and Uzi.

The event ending with Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, and Rick Ross kind of tied together some loose ends that they missed with the tribute.

I didn't know that they honored Dr Dre separately as well, but they seemingly covered all of their bases.

You must not be a hip hop fan. Rakim was great but to have Wu tang symbol show and then it is method man it was a crying shame, I could go on but it was just a travesty

They had under 15 minutes to tell the entire story of hip-hop. Wu-Tang will get their individual tribute at some point. Plus, nothing Wu-Tang related will ever top ODB taking the stage unannounced at the Grammy's to let everyone know that "Wu-Tang is for the children"

I think the Bama hires are very telling. It sounds like Saban got pretty far down his list. It also sounds like he had a hard time convincing potential candidates how long he has left. A lot of conversation down here in Bama World on who his replacement is going to be.

How many times have they mentioned Josh Heupel?

I think the Bama hires are very telling. It sounds like Saban got pretty far down his list. It also sounds like he had a hard time convincing potential candidates how long he has left. A lot of conversation down here in Bama World on who his replacement is going to be.
The head coaching rehab he had going on down there went dry. Pruitt went full on potato in Knoxville and Butch took the Arky St job(which turned out to be too big for him lulz).

The Egyptian puns have got to stop, it's giving me excess stress, which causes gas!

Up to this point, I'd been passing infrequenty. It'd become Toot-uncommon.

Reactions: mrmax86
Yes I have. The kid deserves the Oscar. I watched it about a month ago and I still think about it. Beautiful weird/quirky/dark movie.

Saw it last night, so much fresher on my mind but agree. Barry Keoghan was fantastic in it. Loved all the acting, beautiful locations and cinematography as well. Huge fan of Martin McDonagh, imo hasn't made a bad movie yet.

Reactions: bignewt
he needs a rabbit on his shoulder, after saying that he used to chase them and kill them by the dozens

Muck City, there is a great season of the series 4th and Forever that talks about that tradition down there. If you liked Last Chance U then you'd like 4th and Forever it's about HS programs though. (they also did a season on Alcoa football here in TN).

Muck City, there is a great season of the series 4th and Forever that talks about that tradition down there. If you liked Last Chance U then you'd like 4th and Forever (they also did a season on Alcoa football here in TN). It's about HS programs though.
I'll check it out. I remember reading about the rabbit chasing when we got Nu'Keese Richardson.

Reactions: Smokey19rt

The buzz surrounding DW and Hooker coming out of the Senior Bowl is really good. Between the season he had and the impression he made at the Senior Bowl, Wright has made himself a lot of money.

Saw that former NFL coach Dave McGinnis , think he was actually talking on a Titans radio show or podcast as a guest, said he was most surprised at Hooker. Said most injured players don’t attend Senior Bowl and the fact he did was already impressive, but then his interviews with teams, media, coaches, etc. also left everyone very impressed.

Rashada deal was wild

This was signed PRIOR to NLI. Violation by Florida.

I'm reading it right now too, this is pretty crazy.

Jaden Rashada arrived in Southern California for the quarterback showcase two days after committing to Miami during a televised announcement and two days after a report claimed Rashada secured a $9.5 million name, image and likeness (NIL) deal from a Miami booster. Rashada had recently shined with his play at a regional camp in Las Vegas, but it was the rumored megadeal that fueled the spotlight at the Elite 11 event.

With hundreds watching the passing drills from the stands at Redondo Union High School, Rashada struggled mightily; he repeatedly misfired on throws to receivers. Event organizers said Rashada appeared to be visibly stressed by the attention. A reporter covering the finals for The Athletic spotted him in tears.

“The kids openly talked about his money around him on the field, and Rashada is standing there,” said George Whitfield, a quarterback coach and former ESPN analyst who worked at the event. “They’re asking him, ‘How does it work? Do you get it all at once?’ And you can tell how uncomfortable he was.

“It was so awkward, and it only got worse. Balls were going in the dirt.”

Four months after his struggles at the Elite 11 finals, Rashada flipped his commitment from Miami to rival Florida and signed an NIL contract with the Gator Collective, a booster group that isn’t affiliated with Florida’s athletic department. The contract, which was obtained by The Athletic, would have paid him a staggering $13.85 million over four years, starting with a $500,000 payment on Dec. 5, in return for minimal NIL services such as posting on social media and autographing items.

Then, in mid-January, Rashada did not enroll at Florida as expected. The Gator Collective had reneged on its deal in early December, two days after the initial payment was due, and on Jan. 17 the quarterback was granted a release from his letter of intent.

Rashada once had a top-30 rating in the 247Sports Composite, but by the end of the 2023 recruiting cycle he’d fallen to 82nd nationally. Multiple college coaches told The Athletic that while they think he has a good arm and talent, they didn’t view him in the same light that the online recruiting sites rated him and were baffled by the reports of the massive NIL deals he was offered.

After The Athletic’s report last March that five-star California quarterback Nico Iamaleava landed an $8 million deal with a school’s collective (Iamaleava has since signed with Tennessee), Harlen Rashada engaged Mike Caspino, an Orange County attorney who worked with Iamaleava.

“The irony of that is my son was talking to Tennessee the same time Nico was,” Harlen said then. “They were a (collective) that was a little fast-forward thinking.”

Coaches from multiple schools described a pattern: During the visit, Harlen would inquire about potential NIL income. Afterward, Caspino, who represents dozens of prospects and college athletes, would contact the collective seeking a multimillion-dollar deal. Two coaches, who like others in this story were granted anonymity so they could speak freely about Rashada’s situation, told The Athletic they pulled Rashada’s scholarship offer due to the feeling they were in a bidding war.

On June 26, he committed to Miami, where booster John Ruiz says close to $13 million has been spent on NIL deals for more than 100 athletes to endorse LifeWallet, his health app.

Within hours of his announcement, recruiting website On3 reported that Ruiz had agreed to a $9.5 million deal with Rashada, with Caspino telling the outlet that “Jaden left millions on the table” by passing on an $11 million offer from the Gator Collective.

A person with knowledge of Rashada’s LifeWallet contract said he was scheduled to film a commercial in Miami the week of the Hurricanes’ Nov. 5 game against Florida State. He did not show. That person said the player had already received about $125,000. A lawyer for the company sent Caspino a letter notifying the player he had breached his contract.

“Just watching the games,” said Jaden at January’s Under Armor event, “I had a feeling.”

Rashada signed the NIL contract that day. It called for a $500,000 up-front payment. After that, his payments would increase from $250,000 a month as a freshman, to $291,666.66 a month as a sophomore, to $375,000 a month as a junior, rounded out with $195,833.33 monthly payments as a senior, so long as he fulfilled the following obligations:

• Residence in Gainesville, Fla.
  • At least one branded Twitter post and one branded Instagram post per month.
  • Up to eight fan engagement events per year. These could include in-person appearances, social media engagements, video conferences or interviews. None would last longer than two hours.
  • Autograph up to 15 pieces of merchandise per year.
The contract also states that the collective can “in its sole and absolute discretion” terminate the agreement “without penalty or further obligation.”

THAT IS A TERRIBLE CONTRACT

I'm also pretty sure that you can't put in a contract that the athlete has to attend the school or live anywhere. That's why they make them so heavily weighted on appearances in the college town at crazy dates/times. To fulfill those you almost have to live there, but I don't think that you can outright dictate it.

Rashada, in switching from Miami to Florida, also swapped NIL advisers. The new representatives were Jackson Zager and Tommy Thomsen, founders of an agency called JTM Sports. Zager is a sophomore at SMU; Thomsen is a commercial real estate agent. The agency lists Heitner’s firm as its “affiliate law firm” and advertises that Heitner “assists JTM and our clients in all legal matters and dispute resolution.”

Four sources with knowledge of the contract negotiations confirmed that the Gator Collective — which typically writes deals for much smaller amounts — never got a guarantee in writing from a donor (or donors) that they would cover the amount in Rashada’s contract. Days after Rashada’s Florida flip, LifeWallet received reimbursement for its $125,000, according to three people with knowledge of the negotiations.

The Gator Collective’s first payment to Rashada, for $500,000, was due Dec. 5. It would have come before Rashada enrolled at Florida. The Athletic asked Gabe Feldman, a Tulane law school professor who specializes in sports law, to review specific clauses in Rashada’s contract with Gator Collective.

“Just the contact with the athlete prior to enrollment and using it as a recruiting inducement, that seems pretty cut and dry based on the timing,” said Feldman. “Under every version of the NCAA policy, that’s problematic.”

Rashada did not receive the payment, and two days after it was due, the Gator Collective terminated the agreement in a letter sent to Rashada. No reason was given for the termination, according to three people who read the letter. The contract includes the following: “Collective may, in its sole and absolute discretion, terminate this Agreement…” and then lists several reasons the collective could immediately terminate the contract:

• If the contract is found to violate Florida law.
  • If the contract is found to violate school rules or rules the school must follow (such as NCAA rules).
  • If Rashada doesn’t reside in Gainesville.

As for how much NIL money Rashada landed by going to Arizona State, a person with knowledge of that school’s collective said it was his understanding that an NIL arrangement for Rashada is “nonexistent.”

1.) not looking good for Florida, I hope this story makes its way around the CFB and HS FB communities. NCAA should investigate, but I won't count on it.
2.) THANK GOD we have Spyre and the Volunteer Club

Last edited:
Questlove put it to together, who is basically hip-hop culture in the flesh. They did well by putting it in his hands.

Grandmaster Flash
Run DMC
LL Cool J
Salt N Pepa
Rakim
Public Enemy
De La Soul

The above being included is pretty significant, because a lot of artists boycotted the Grammy's in the 80's/90's

Scarface
Ice-T
Latifah
Method Man (Wu-Tang)
Big Boi (Outkast)
Busta Rhymes
Missy Elliott
Nelly
Too Short
Lox

I could have done with more 90's/00's acts, but I can get why they had to tie it all together with Lil Baby, GloRilla, and Uzi.

The event ending with Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, and Rick Ross kind of tied together some loose ends that they missed with the tribute.

I didn't know that they honored Dr Dre separately as well, but they seemingly covered all of their bases.

They had under 15 minutes to tell the entire story of hip-hop. Wu-Tang will get their individual tribute at some point. Plus, nothing Wu-Tang related will ever top ODB taking the stage unannounced at the Grammy's to let everyone know that "Wu-Tang is for the children"
I can’t stand ANY hip-hop/rap today…..

But: the old school got it right
LL
Run-DMC
Public Enemy
Erik B and Rakim
Dazz Band
Whodini
Beastie Boys

The buzz surrounding DW and Hooker coming out of the Senior Bowl is really good. Between the season he had and the impression he made at the Senior Bowl, Wright has made himself a lot of money.

Saw that former NFL coach Dave McGinnis , think he was actually talking on a Titans radio show or podcast as a guest, said he was most surprised at Hooker. Said most injured players don’t attend Senior Bowl and the fact he did was already impressive, but then his interviews with teams, media, coaches, etc. also left everyone very impressed.
No it's not (from a completely selfish perspective) I want Wright to drop to the second round so the Titans can get him after drafting a LT in the first.

Reactions: VolNash17
Florida severely overpaid for this kid and dodged a bullet honestly. We got Nico at a discount for 8 mil if true. Him and this kid isn't in the same stratosphere as a player.
Florida is the one who looks the worst. Then the handlers look bad. I don't think Rashada looks that bad tbh.

I can’t stand ANY hip-hop/rap today…..

But: the old school got it right
LL
Run-DMC
Public Enemy
Erik B and Rakim
Dazz Band
Whodini
Beastie Boys

The hip-hop community does this "remember when" thing every 2-3 years at any major event that will let them. Even the Super Bowl was like "man, rap used to be cool."

The originators (like the acts you mention) and the preservers (like Questlove) are always trying to reintroduce the art to regain the essence.

The hip-hop community does this "remember when" thing every 2-3 years at any major event that will let them. Even the Super Bowl was like "man, rap used to be cool."

The originators (like the acts you mention) and the preservers (like Questlove) are always trying to reintroduce the art to regain the essence.

For all the millions of music listeners who are watching and think "oh what is this? Rap? So this is rap? Huh."

Alabama is not even putting together good coaching staffs anymore compared to what they had been doing. They dont even have the best staff in their own state right now much less the SEC or whole country. Hell, Auburn woke up from a multiple yr slumber and immediately put together a better staff.
It started going down hill when they lost Butch. Lol

Florida is the one who looks the worst. Then the handlers look bad. I don't think Rashada looks that bad tbh.
Rashada and his dad look bad for making it a bidding war with literally every school that they talked to after they read about Nico's deal. They fired their experienced lawyer for a couple of newbies that let them sign a terrible deal. Family looks bad, law firm looks bad, Gator collective looks bad, Florida looks bad, NCAA looks stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back