Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The offense is putrid to watch vs certain defenses as a result and in the tournament they tend to let you play so teams will take advantage of the weak mindset

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I'll give it to Barnes, he's not afraid to play with his rotation and put the team in all sorts of situations during the season. It's good for experience.

He knows his team and the game of basketball better than anyone on this board, so if he's trying to unlock something that he knows is there, then more power to him.

I agree with other posters that this offense has way more potential than it is showing right now. I think we're all collectively scratching our heads wondering where the offense went. Refs? Coaching? Slump?

I just hope it all comes together. The good news is we have several weeks to figure it out. We can absolutely win the SEC Tournament again if the team hits their stride that they've shown before.

It does seem like UT is very timid mindset wise and philosophy wise driving to the basket. Just no killer mindset on the team. It’s baffling

It’s not just on offense. Loose ball right in front of Vescovi last night - 2 Vandy players hit the floor going for it while Vescovi tip-toed around them and tried to grab it.

Really weird for a team that plays such stingy D. Usually the toughest and roughest of teams.

It does seem like UT is very timid mindset wise and philosophy wise driving to the basket. Just no killer mindset on the team. It’s baffling
In years past the offense had more room to move on the perimeter because the defense would have to respect us driving to the basket. Right now we have nobody that wants to consistently challenge. To his credit, ZZ is fearless going down there but he ends up in the air, going underneath a defender, and either has to bank it high off the glass or tries to dish it to someone underneath and it results in a turnover.

It’s not just on offense. Loose ball right in front of Vescovi last night - 2 Vandy players hit the floor going for it while Vescovi tip-toed around them and tried to grab it.
Santi hit his shots last night, but does he have a lingering injury?

What's crazy is if Barnes hits with an elite PG prospect that can get to the rim and get his own shot then his teams are like well oiled machines.

Hopefully Carr or Freddie ends up being an elite PG here.
Neither are PG's we need Edwards to grow a lot this off season.
But yeah Barnes needs an Elite big and PG. Wings don't mean anything to his offense.

Reactions: volinbama256
Have you tin foil hats considered the fact that we dont get fouls is because the team is reluctant to drive to the basket and is timid on the offensive glass? If you aren't getting fouls, its not always on the refs. You gotta adapt.
I see our dudes getting manhandled off the ball every freaking possession...with ZERO calls. That is what is killing this offense with no Kennedy Chandler type driving talent to break down the defense.

It is not a surprise that we did not have anybody like that on the team this year....I said when KC left that it was going to be a huge flaw in this team for that very reason.

I'll give it to Barnes, he's not afraid to play with his rotation and put the team in all sorts of situations during the season. It's good for experience.

He knows his team and the game of basketball better than anyone on this board, so if he's trying to unlock something that he knows is there, then more power to him.

I agree with other posters that this offense has way more potential than it is showing right now. I think we're all collectively scratching our heads wondering where the offense went. Refs? Coaching? Slump?

I just hope it all comes together. The good news is we have several weeks to figure it out. We can absolutely win the SEC Tournament again if the team hits their stride that they've shown before.

My money on SECT champs is either Bama or ARK

There will need to be some major changes and multiple lights that will need to come on in players heads for us to get out of this ... Truly baffling how these kids can play on fire and then can't hit water in the middle of the ocean... this isn't the first of the season-- this is what is troubling-- teams are hitting their strides and gelling and we seem to be coming apart at the seams... not a good time to flounder with the remaining games we have... at this point I legitimately see us dropping at LEAST another 4-5 games based on last night and this past two weeks. We have the talent, the players or the coaches (or combo of both) just can't put it on the floor consistently .

I see our dudes getting manhandled off the ball every freaking possession...with ZERO calls. That is what is killing this offense with no Kennedy Chandler type driving talent to break down the defense.

It is not a surprise that we did not have anybody like that on the team this year....I said when KC left that it was going to be a huge flaw in this team for that very reason.

Then thats not on the refs. You dont want to be manhandled? Move faster, work angles. Take it to the rim. Fortune favors the bold. As do the refs. Its not a %^&$^%$ conspiracy.

They are overall awful..but they did NOT shoot like an awful team last night + they got a ton of help from the refs + a couple of bonehead plays at the end + a not good shooting night = 1 pt upset

You guys do not understand basketball.

Going into February, the Vols were holding opponents to 22% from 3. The single season record is 25.3%.

Since then:
at Florida 35%
vs Auburn 11%
at Vandy 40%

Avg 28.7%

Perhaps this is a regression to the mean and we should expect opponents to hit more 3's. Maybe this is an away/neutral court problem. I think it's something to keep an eye on.

There will need to be some major changes and multiple lights that will need to come on in players heads for us to get out of this ... Truly baffling how these kids can play on fire and then can't hit water in the middle of the ocean... this isn't the first of the season-- this is what is troubling-- teams are hitting their strides and gelling and we seem to be coming apart at the seams... not a good time to flounder with the remaining games we have... at this point I legitimately see us dropping at LEAST another 4-5 games based on last night and this past two weeks. We have the talent, the players or the coaches (or combo of both) just can't put it on the floor consistently .
basketball by it's nature is a game of runs, sometimes you're hot, sometimes you're cold

unfortunately our cold is really bad

I'd rather be cold right now, though. If we can get our groove back we're still a legitimate threat.

Neither are PG's we need Edwards to grow a lot this off season.
But yeah Barnes needs an Elite big and PG. Wings don't mean anything to his offense.

This all freakin day... which should be attainable with how he recruits... no excuse looking across the country that he cannot get at least a 4* Big and PG ... too many out there... and no PG who won't drive to the basket... IF Barnes is as good as some on here maintain, than that should be clear as day at this point. We'll see what happens... Uros tries, and if someone got to him early in high school, that guy could be absolutely dominating with his body and mindset... He's the only dog we have, but he cannot execute due to talent limitations.

basketball by it's nature is a game of runs, sometimes you're hot, sometimes you're cold

unfortunately our cold is really bad

I'd rather be cold right now, though. If we can get our groove back we're still a legitimate threat.

I agree but if we drop too many, which is unfortunately the way it is looking, we are not going to make any run being a 7 seed or worse... No way the committee gives us anything better than a 5-6 seed if we drop 4-5 at the end...

My money on SECT champs is either Bama or ARK
I agree, but this Tennessee team is really weird.

They make below average teams look awesome, and turn a nobody into a star. They also rise to the occasion against the best and play at a championship level.

It's a recipe for disaster in the first couple of rounds of either tournament. It's also why they could go all the way if they make the final 4 of the SEC or into the sweet 16 of the dance

I agree but if we drop too many, which is unfortunately the way it is looking, we are not going to make any run being a 7 seed or worse... No way the committee gives us anything better than a 5-6 seed if we drop 4-5 at the end...

Honestly there is so much parity in college BB this year seeding doesn't even matter to me. Just get right and try and make a run. I wouldn't expect 1 seeds to advance any farther than a 9 seed this year. Its just going to be the teams that get hot.

Then thats not on the refs. You dont want to be manhandled? Move faster, work angles. Take it to the rim. Fortune favors the bold. As do the refs. Its not a %^&$^%$ conspiracy.
It is happening whether you admit it or not....so call.it whatever, but it IS happening. They are absolutely LETTING other teams beat the 💩 out off our guys off the ball every possession with ZERO calls....if you deny that you are either willingly blind, a flat out liar or stupid...and I don't think you are a liar or stupid.

"Conspiracy" or however you want to define it...it is happening....period.

I agree they need to adapt somehow, but I don't know exactly how they can with no driving threat and the refs letting other teams grab, push, hold and trip our guys off the ball.

That's been a clear difference in our team and others... we WON'T drive to the basket, which plays into our timid, fragile mindset that Barnes can't coach the team out of... we don't have aggressive players who "WANT IT" and will drive to draw a foul... we are fine to just play shoot around the perimeter...

If our shots don't fall early from outside, we're cooked... this team does not have a Williams or Admiral who can push us out of a funk and cold shooting spell...

Really no excuse at this point. We either come in hot and continue with confidence throughout the game, or we come in tight, timid, and when things go sideways, we fold and cannot mentally fight out of it. Weak. sorry, but no one can argue it at this point.

I agree with this post. Some where comparing Santi to Manu Ginobili. Not even close. If we had a Manu on this team, when struggling, he'd definitely turn it up and drive to the basket. With that said, I do believe too many, per usual, are jumping ship with lots of doom and gloom. Our losses thus far are all pretty much 'not surprising'. Vandy has actually played well this year and played us tough in Knoxville. Going to their home court was obviously going to be a dog fight.

Reactions: SoilVol
It is happening whether you admit it or not....so call.it whatever, but it IS happening. They are absolutely LETTING other teams beat the 💩 out off our guys off the ball every possession with ZERO calls....if you deny that you are either willingly blind, a flat out liar or stupid...and I don't think you are a liar or stupid.

"Conspiracy" or however you want to define it...it is happening....period.

I agree they need to adapt somehow, but I don't know exactly how they can with no driving threat and the refs letting other teams grab, push, hold and trip our guys off the ball.

Do you realize how whiny that sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back