Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly just think the motion offense isn't the right fit for a team that you want focusing on hard nose defense you're basically asking the guards and to be in elite conditioning and go hard on both sides of the court running this.

Rather see the defense lead to fast breaks and let the half court offense be a bit more free with 1 on 1 matchups or high pick & roll action. There's so many possessions where you watch Santi run his ass off for 20 seconds and not even get enough space to catch a pass. Then you expect him to do the same on the other side of the court.

I think 19-5 (8-3) is above expectations....I just didn't expect 3 of those 5 losses to be to Colorado, Florida and Vandy.

I honestly just think the motion offense isn't the right fit for a team that you want focusing on hard nose defense you're basically asking the guards and to be in elite conditioning and go hard on both sides of the court running this.

Rather see the defense lead to fast breaks and let the half court offense be a bit more free with 1 on 1 matchups or high pick & roll action. There's so many possessions where you watch Santi run his ass off for 20 seconds and not even get enough space to catch a pass. Then you expect him to do the same on the other side of the court.

I think 19-5 (8-3) is above expectations....I just didn't expect 3 of those 5 losses to be to Colorado, Florida and Vandy.

If only we would've gotten Grant Sherfield.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Kentucky has Mark Stoops and we have Rick Barnes.

The big three are certainly doing as well as they have ever done in all. But still, I'm not sure exactly how some people in the fan base are so convinced we won't be back to tarping seats if we fire the most accomplished basketball coach we've ever had. The list of definite upgrades over Barnes is not a long list.

Everything school and all that, but I think we all know the fans aren't going to trek through a decade in the wilderness with basketball like they did with football.
I remember not paying attention to college basketball other than to check in to see if the men were on the bubble. I remember sitting at .500 in January talking about what the team needs to do to get a bid and feeling like we'd achieved something if we made the tournament.

Now people seriously want to fire Barnes and think we won't end up with another Donnie Tyndall, or revert back to the days of crossing our fingers and finishing middle of the pack in the SEC.

Barnes isn't gonna be here for another 10 years. He may not be here for 5. He's going to retire eventually. Lets just enjoy being good and let a first ballot HOF coach ride off into the sunset before we subject ourselves to the unknown again. Why the rush?

If Dante Thornton is what he seems to be, which WR is the odd man out?

That's a good question...I'm still curious to see if we ever get into a situation where we can roll out 2 shifts of WRs and mix it up each series.

Thornton, Bru, Squirrel I feel like at this point you think can be your top 3 options. Last season we had 5 WRs get 30 catches and I expect we could see about the same this year. Keyton would be the obvious to be in the mix for top 5 this year too.

What I'm curious to see is how these guys contribute.

Nathan Leacock
Cameron Seldon (I think he'll be used like Fant an mixed around)
Kaleb Webb
Chas Nimrod

Roll out those stats in the games we lost.
Okay, we average 13.6 OREB a game. Here are the rebound stats in our losses:
Colorado: O- 12 D- 26
Arizona: O- 9 D- 21
Kentucky: O- 4 D- 19
Florida: O- 18 D- 25
Vanderbilt: O- 13 D- 24

So in the 5 games we have lost, we OREB below the mean on 4 of them. Vandy and Colorado are not significantly below the bell curve. UK I would say is significantly lower.

Point is, the blanket statement "we are timid on the offensive glass" isn't statistically accurate when we are 1st in the P5 on the offensive boards. Have we been timid in some games? Could be argued. Did that timidness result in a loss? I'd say likely against UK. But our losses don't reflect the cause and effect here.

Let's look at how we rebounded in other games:
Kansas: O- 15 D- 30
Southern Cal: O- 14 D- 24
Maryland: O- 21 D- 27
Vandy G1: O- 12 D- 24
Texas: O- 11 D- 27
Auburn: O- 15 D- 32
Georgia: O- 10 D- 33

So in some games where we've absolutely crushed teams, we've OREB'ed below our mean. Probably because we shot at a higher percentage (which I think is the biggest problem in losses - poor shooting - not being timid off the glass. We have the T-8th highest rebound margin in college basketball. T-4th in P5.

Okay, we average 13.6 OREB a game. Here are the rebound stats in our losses:
Colorado: O- 12 D- 26
Arizona: O- 9 D- 21
Kentucky: O- 4 D- 19
Florida: O- 18 D- 25
Vanderbilt: O- 13 D- 24

So in the 5 games we have lost, we OREB below the mean on 4 of them. Vandy and Colorado are not significantly below the bell curve. UK I would say is significantly lower.

Point is, the blanket statement "we are timid on the offensive glass" isn't statistically accurate when we are 1st in the P5 on the offensive boards. Have we been timid in some games? Could be argued. Did that timidness result in a loss? I'd say likely against UK. But our losses don't reflect the cause and effect here.

Let's look at how we rebounded in other games:
Kansas: O- 15 D- 30
Southern Cal: O- 14 D- 24
Maryland: O- 21 D- 27
Vandy G1: O- 12 D- 24
Texas: O- 11 D- 27
Auburn: O- 15 D- 32
Georgia: O- 10 D- 33

So in some games where we've absolutely crushed teams, we've OREB'ed below our mean. Probably because we shot at a higher percentage (which I think is the biggest problem in losses - poor shooting - not being timid off the glass. We have the T-8th highest rebound margin in college basketball. T-4th in P5.

Point taken. Let me rephrase. Timid shot taking. Not attacking the basket. Falling away. Passing around the perimeter where the D is in their pockets. Is that safe to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back