Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
So ridiculous. Look at what Tennessee had to deal with. Tennessee wasn’t winning at a high level either lol. Just accept the self imposed penalties and let’s move on.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
I would almost bet that one sticking point still causing problems is bringing and paying recruits to travel to Knoxville during Covid. Schools were not allowed to pay for recruits to make official visits. Recruits could visit but it had to be on the player and family’s dime.
Unfortunately, we blatantly disregarded this and brought several recruits to campus. This was know by other schools in the late spring and summer of 2020. IMO, this is why we had to clean house. Not firing Fulmer might come back to bite us, unless it can be proved definitively that he has no knowledge. I truly hope he had absolutely no knowledge. For his sake and UT’s.

Yes. They nailed UT with a failure to monitor, which UT has disputed, and negotiating that away will require concessions. The NCAA wants more than UT has self-imposed.
Just curious:

Difference and level of severity differences between failure to monitor and lack of institutional control?

Reactions: VolNash17
What about Duke, Kansas, UNC and any other school. F the NCAA, P5 schools should break away. Every school cheats.
To be fair, the P5 would just start the NCAA 2.0 anyway. Any governing body will always be asked by their association members to set and enforce the rules (unless they go full anarchy...hey hey I wanna see that play out). Restart it, rename it, it's always going to be a body that is controlled by the universities themselves. The unis are behind everything. The NCAA = member institutions = universities.

Just like the NFL teams have to agree to the league, NBA the same. Only difference is player unions make up the trifectas there.

At what point do we tell the NCAA to **** off? We as in all of college sports.

The SEC for sure doesn’t need them. If they just did a full season and their own playoff and said FU to the NCAA they make just as much money. If I were the SEC commish this is a great opportunity to show them who is in the power position. We don’t need them. At all.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
To be fair, the P5 would just start the NCAA 2.0 anyway. Any governing body will always be asked by their association members to set and enforce the rules (unless they go full anarchy...hey hey I wanna see that play out). Restart it, rename it, it's always going to be a body that is controlled by the universities themselves. The unis are behind everything. The NCAA = member institutions = universities.

Just like the NFL teams have to agree to the league, NBA the same. Only difference is player unions make up the trifectas there.

The NCAA is an outdated body that was set up for amateur athletics. The important point is that they could design the new governing body to regulate major college sports as what they are, professional leagues. Aspiring athletes and their agents could negotiate contracts directly with teams and we could drop the meaningless artifacts like signing day, transfer portal, national letters of intent, "commitments", and even scholarships.

If an athlete wants to attend college, include money for that in the contract. Stop giving fake diplomas to people who didn't earn one or even want one. Stop wasting time and effort on the incessant recruiting that now extends from junior high until athletes move on to the NFL or NBA. If something closer to parity between teams is a goal, then you'll need a draft, and probably something like an antitrust exemption, if that's legally tenable. Either way, the hybrid system currently in place is unstable and is impossible to regulate.

The NCAA is an outdated body that was set up for amateur athletics. The important point is that they could design the new governing body to regulate major college sports as what they are, professional leagues. Aspiring athletes and their agents could negotiate contracts directly with teams and we could drop the meaningless artifacts like signing day, transfer portal, national letters of intent, "commitments", and even scholarships.

If an athlete wants to attend college, include money for that in the contract. Stop giving fake diplomas to people who didn't earn one or even want one. Stop wasting time and effort on the incessant recruiting that now extends from junior high until athletes move on to the NFL or NBA. If something closer to parity between teams is a goal, then you'll need a draft, and probably something like an antitrust exemption, if that's legally tenable. Either way, the hybrid system currently in place is unstable and is impossible to regulate.

"Left foot first."

As fine as all that could be, a lot would have to first change legally before a governing body could do any of that. Not holding my breath on the courts.

And it would still be controlled by the universities I presume. They will NEVER let go of their power over players, unless SCOTUS forces it. And that will always be the central issue, without more balance. Call the governing body anything you please. If it is controlled by universities, as it is now and has forever been, it will be the same end goal.

But you can dream I suppose.

Reactions: DawgInterloper
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back