Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like TN is getting more raw talent.

With a massive Arena, top notch facilities, huge recruiting budget, tenured coach...etc its frustrating to see us trot out a team that is less talented than Alabama, Kentucky, or even MSU.

I realize Barnes lost a couple great recruiters. I understand Kensucky goes all in on 1 and done. I understand Barnes has his system. But, at some point you look around the room and ask 'is what we're doing making us better?'

One thing that sets Nick Saban apart, is the ability to adapt to new things. Implementing things outside of his comfort zone. I like Rick, but he got a massive raise and along with that comes bigger expectations.

There is no excuse for this program to take a back seat to Kentucky, Memphis, Florida, Missouri, Alabama. He created those expectations and was compensated well.

This fringe top 15 stuff wont cut the mustard iyam. At the end of the day, our team was slow. Couldnt find shots and would end up taking junk shots if a layup or three pointer werent open. Couldnt hit a FT to save its life.

They just werent very talented.

Rick Barnes is the best recruiter in UT history. He is still recruiting at a high level. 3 top 65 players coming in, and a top 65 player redshirting on the bench. It’s quite apparent that winning teams usually take top 100 players and develop them for 2+ years. Maybe sprinkle a one and done and also add transfers that contribute.

The FT issues are just 3 players…just look at the percentages. All of our wings and guards except Mashack shoot really well.

Rick Barnes has beaten Kentucky more times than our last 7 coaches combined. Don’t understand why that’s an argument. Missouri is good because they took a bunch of veteran transfers who are good offensively but wait until they get into the NCAAT.

We will be ok.

Last edited:
Crazy, just crazy. Nothing ruins sports more than officials.

That technical on JJJ yesterday was nuts. I think I recall you saying you’ve officiated football. It was years ago and at a low level, but I officiated basketball. I won’t call it easy, but common sense has been thrown out the window, and officials want to be known. We are reviewing everything and throwing out technicals and fouls for everything while letting guys get beat up during play. I hate it for the players, but I cut back some viewing this year and will probably continue. I can’t handle the incompetence and/or bias.

Rick Barnes is the best recruiter in UT history. He is still recruiting at a high level. 3 top 65 players coming in, and a top 65 player redshirting on the bench. It’s quite apparent that winning teams usually take top 100 players and develop them for 2+ years. Maybe sprinkle a one and done and also add transfers that contribute.

The FT issues are just 3 players…just look at the percentages. All of our wings and guards except Mashack shoot really well.

Rick Barnes has beaten Kentucky more times than our last 7 coaches combined. Don’t understand why that’s an argument. Missouri is good because they took a bunch of veteran transfers who are good offensively but wait until they get into the NCAAT.

We will be ok.
Yep. Personally, I much prefer he aim just below the one and done level. Get guys who will mature into NBA caliber players but not good enough to skip out after that first year.

Tony V would chest bump this ump into the damn sun for this.

Ump should be suspended for that although the batter should have had better control. He showed the umpire up and pissed him off. What I was impressed with was how the opposing catcher kept the batter from doing something really stupid and costing him his scholarship.

With a massive Arena, top notch facilities, huge recruiting budget, tenured coach...etc its frustrating to see us trot out a team that is less talented than Alabama, Kentucky, or even MSU.

I realize Barnes lost a couple great recruiters. I understand Kensucky goes all in on 1 and done. I understand Barnes has his system. But, at some point you look around the room and ask 'is what we're doing making us better?'

One thing that sets Nick Saban apart, is the ability to adapt to new things. Implementing things outside of his comfort zone. I like Rick, but he got a massive raise and along with that comes bigger expectations.

There is no excuse for this program to take a back seat to Kentucky, Memphis, Florida, Missouri, Alabama. He created those expectations and was compensated well.

This fringe top 15 stuff wont cut the mustard iyam. At the end of the day, our team was slow. Couldnt find shots and would end up taking junk shots if a layup or three pointer werent open. Couldnt hit a FT to save its life.

Your point about Saban is wrong. He did not adapt like you say he does. He jumps up and down and whines and cries until he gets his way

To say we're taking a back seat is laughable. The only team on that list that has won more games in the last seven years is Kentucky and Barnes is 10-9 against Kentucky. Do your homework next time.

That technical on JJJ yesterday was nuts. I think I recall you saying you’ve officiated football. It was years ago and at a low level, but I officiated basketball. I won’t call it easy, but common sense has been thrown out the window, and officials want to be known. We are reviewing everything and throwing out technicals and fouls for everything while letting guys get beat up during play. I hate it for the players, but I cut back some viewing this year and will probably continue. I can’t handle the incompetence and/or bias.
Same. 100% of the reason I cut back on basketball is the officials. You can see the problem ones, they're so demonstrative, they crave the spotlight and common sense goes out the window.

Was the Dillione reclassification even necessary? (sorry i'm talking basketball, and not gambling).
I think it was. We lose a lot of offense and the jump from HS to the SEC is tough for just about everyone. Dillione will have benefit of S&C and getting used to the physicality and speed of the game. Signals to me that Barnes plans on him being counted on heavily from the get go.

Reactions: hooter vol
To say we're taking a back seat is laughable. The only team on that list that has won more games in the last seven years is Kentucky and Barnes is 10-9 against Kentucky. Do your homework next time.

while I'm thrilled at the recent success.

we got beat twice this year. And next years squad isnt exactly jumping off the page. Anyway.

You realize we've had 12 of the highest 25 commits in TN history during the Barnes tenure? 6 of the top 10.

5 of the top 25 are on the team currently. 6 will be on the team next year (if Phillips stays).

This is a program that has only ever had 9 5-star signees. And one of those (BHH) transferred.

Mizzou is historically solid with 5 Elite 8s.

Florida has 2 national titles, a runner up, 5 final fours, and 9 Elite 8s... all of those just since 1994.

Doesn't matter how hard it is to hear, but we will always take a back seat to Kentucky in basketball just like they'll always be tied up in the truck compared to us in football.

Edit to Add: In the last 3 recruiting cycles Barnes has pulled five (5) 5-star recruits. That's UNHEARD OF in Knoxville. So yes, I think we are doing just fine in improving the overall trajectory of the program and making Tennessee basketball a team recruits are interested in.

Tennessee is a good basketball job.. rated 4th in SEC by coaches that was in 2019. Some others in the basketball industry rank it even higher than that. With AD White now in charge combined with the willingness to outspend everyone except Kentucky. It’s an attractive job. Not to mention 3rd in SEC in win percentage since 2005 Bruce’s first season. This isn’t the 80’s Tennessee anymore. That’s thanks to Bruce and Rick consistent success

Sure Florida has some success in basketball… that was all under one coach. Lol. Terrible history otherwise with a cheap administration

You realize we've had 12 of the highest 25 commits in TN history during the Barnes tenure? 6 of the top 10.

5 of the top 25 are on the team currently. 6 will be on the team next year (if Phillips stays).

This is a program that has only ever had 9 5-star signees. And one of those (BHH) transferred.

Mizzou is historically solid with 5 Elite 8s.

Florida has 2 national titles, a runner up, 5 final fours, and 9 Elite 8s... all of those just since 1994.

Doesn't matter how hard it is to hear, but we will always take a back seat to Kentucky in basketball just like they'll always be tied up in the truck compared to us in football.

Edit to Add: In the last 3 recruiting cycles Barnes has pulled five (5) 5-star recruits. That's UNHEARD OF in Knoxville. So yes, I think we are doing just fine in improving the overall trajectory of the program and making Tennessee basketball a team recruits are interested in.
Good post. This is what I wanted to engage in. Instead of the usual 'we're Tennessee' orange glassed cast aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back