Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Titans are so injury bit this season, they are still all playing hard but my goodness it's tough to watch them playing with such a clear disadvantage of depth/talent.

is that how they discuss it in the pros?

in college, attributing poor performance to injuries is just excuse making and another example for why all the coaches should be fired

Lol

The coaches have been holding off on taking commitments from some guys ready to hop in-- guys that were once thought to be takes. They've moved some visits to January, after the playoffs. They're passing over guys with academic and character issues-- even if they're in-state or local guys-- and they're paying attention to red flags and reasons for being in the portal. And if a popular pick makes demands out of line with that player's perceived value, the coaches move on to the next guy and let another program pay the freight for a player they don't think is worth it. They're being selective, protecting the culture they've worked hard to build and avoiding headaches and misfits.

None of this indicates any sort of panic or concern; it indicates a quiet confidence in getting the players they want and feel they most need. These may not be the players recruiting services favor or fans want. They're going after the guys they think we can win with and they're trusting their own evaluations. They clearly like the guys coming in and think time is on our side in filling the remaining spots. They're going to do it their way.
Thanks @LA Vol for all you bring.

The difference between Mullen and Napier is simple. Mullen is capable of coaching up a competitive product on the field with less talent. Mullen would’ve had Florida better than 6-6 this year. Anthony Richardson saved Napier from a losing season.

Florida St is about to be pretty good next year with Travis and a lot of experience returning. They have all the momentum in that state.

Am I the only one not worried about the transfer portal?

We’re looking pretty good with the OL from Rhode Island and outside of that there just aren’t many SEC starting-level players in there.

Ignoring Hunter, I’m not sure there’s an SEC ready CB in the portal currently
epic-monkey-ape-majestic-royal-1372896774v.gif

Didn’t see that coming. Anything to do with Bo coming back?
UCLA finally got their NIL to a respectable place and are trying to make some moves. That's a big flip, though.

On Monday, five-star quarterback Dante Moore announced that he’ll be playing his college football at UCLA, flipping his commitment from the Oregon Ducks.

It’s one of the most profound commitments, and recruitments, UCLA has had in the modern recruiting era, and Moore is easily the biggest recruit that UCLA has picked up under head coach Chip Kelly. He’s a five-star, elite talent, ranked the No. 3 overall prospect in the country. He’s a (slightly) higher rated prospect than Josh Rosen was, and the most highly rated quarterback that UCLA has landed since modern recruiting services became a thing.

And, while UCLA has been involved with Moore for a while, it really all came together in the last month or so. UCLA began to have conversations with Moore and the people around him toward the end of the regular season, especially when it became clear that Kenny Dillingham, Oregon’s offensive coordinator and someone who’d developed a good relationship with Moore, would be departing to be ASU’s head coach.

Our sense of the recruitment is that, after visiting campus, Moore really wanted to be at UCLA, a desire that only became more real after conversations over the past week. Oregon wasn’t hugely involved over the last week or so, with the Ducks more or less conceding that Moore was UCLA’s to lose early last week. The visit, his comfort level with the coaches and what they were saying to him, and the enticement of being in the Los Angeles area with its many NIL opportunities really seemed to make a huge impact on the five-star. In other words, as far as we know, Moore's mind was made up well before Bo Nix made his announcement that he'd be returning to Oregon.

An immediate freshman starter at King, Moore led the Crusaders to three state title game appearances and won two of them, both as a junior and senior. During that time, he passed for 9,880 yards and 135 touchdowns to just 20 interceptions. Through his sophomore and senior years, he only threw nine total interceptions.

Last edited:
I remember when the entire 2022 season hinged on whether Dixon could provide us meaningful snaps

He could have helped us. But when a player commits, decommits, commits, then bounces around from school to school where PT is available if a player earns it, the problem probably isn't the schools.

The coaches have been holding off on taking commitments from some guys ready to hop in-- guys that were once thought to be takes. They've moved some visits to January, after the playoffs. They're passing over guys with academic and character issues-- even if they're in-state or local guys-- and they're paying attention to red flags and reasons for being in the portal. And if a popular pick makes demands out of line with that player's perceived value, the coaches move on to the next guy and let another program pay the freight for a player they don't think is worth it. They're being selective, protecting the culture they've worked hard to build and avoiding headaches and misfits.

None of this indicates any sort of panic or concern; it indicates a quiet confidence in getting the players they want and feel they most need. These may not be the players recruiting services favor or fans want. They're going after the guys they think we can win with and they're trusting their own evaluations. They clearly like the guys coming in and think time is on our side in filling the remaining spots. They're going to do it their way.
No offense but the last paragraph has been said about every staff since Kiffin.

Funny story, I went to ElChico on Merchant for lunch after church yesterday. They sat us in the bar area. They had the soccer game on TV. It was obnoxiously loud. I couldn't decide whether they were fans of Argentina or they just hated France. I was complaining to my wife and she said if Tennessee was playing you'd be just as loud. I said yeah, but I live in Tennessee and have been a fan my whole life and we're in Tennessee. Then they started that stupid song that Europeans sing, the ole ole ole ole. I mean what a stupid song. Wife says, if Tennessee were playing you'd be singing Ricky top. I said yeah but that's a cool song about cool stuff like moonshine and women and what we do to strangers that show up. What the heck does that ole song even mean?
Why would you go to El Chico, when you have Monterrey right there on the same road?

Reactions: whitw
is that how they discuss it in the pros?

in college, attributing poor performance to injuries is just excuse making and another example for why all the coaches should be fired

Lol

In college you have 85 scholarship spots and a host of walk-ons.

The pros limit the roster total size to 52 so a season where you have 80 different players play through 13 games is extremely abnormal. Last season the Titans set the NFL record for most new players fielded with 91.

Last edited:
Titans are so injury bit this season, they are still all playing hard but my goodness it's tough to watch them playing with such a clear disadvantage of depth/talent.
Something is amiss within the organization when it comes to injuries. There is no way that we should have that many for consecutive years. Is it strength and conditioning?

Who said? I certainly felt panic and concern and no confidence in any of the last three administrations. My only hope was that they might somehow miraculously get the best players at every position to overcome their weaknesses. Had no hope of it happening. I really feel like this staff will get the best they can and coach them. May not ever have a team with no weaknesses or win all our games, but we will be competitive and players will play their best.

The difference between Mullen and Napier is simple. Mullen is capable of coaching up a competitive product on the field with less talent. Mullen would’ve had Florida better than 6-6 this year. Anthony Richardson saved Napier from a losing season.

Florida St is about to be pretty good next year with Travis and a lot of experience returning. They have all the momentum in that state.
Even AR15 couldn't save them. 6-7!

you're not wrong. but no staff since fulmer has actually put results on the table to match the bravado/hype or whatever one likes to call it in regards to their own version of "culture". I don't recall hearing anyone the past two years even intimating that there's anything "fake" about what is going on with the football program. it's still early in the tenure, and i'm not predicting anything. but in a results oriented business....it's really hard to argue with any of the results we've gotten up to this point. so if one wants to hedge a bet, it might actually be safe to do so with this staff..........

Something is amiss within the organization when it comes to injuries. There is no way that we should have that many for consecutive years. Is it strength and conditioning?

I think that old J Rob and his desire to constantly draft injured players is seriously biting them the last few years. Even Simmons has only played 1 full season in his 4 years with the Titans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back