Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
So cavalier of you to think anyone here can scroll past ANY post without comment, sir!
Funny story, I went to ElChico on Merchant for lunch after church yesterday. They sat us in the bar area. They had the soccer game on TV. It was obnoxiously loud. I couldn't decide whether they were fans of Argentina or they just hated France. I was complaining to my wife and she said if Tennessee was playing you'd be just as loud. I said yeah, but I live in Tennessee and have been a fan my whole life and we're in Tennessee. Then they started that stupid song that Europeans sing, the ole ole ole ole. I mean what a stupid song. Wife says, if Tennessee were playing you'd be singing Ricky top. I said yeah but that's a cool song about cool stuff like moonshine and women and what we do to strangers that show up. What the heck does that ole song even mean?

I hate Alabama

If Alabama lands five-star defensive lineman James Smith, five-star edge rusher/linebacker Qua Russaw, flips five-star offensive tackle and Iowa commit Kadyn Proctor, lands five-star cornerback Desmond Ricks, picks up four-star cornerback Damari Brown, and flips four-star tight end Luke Hasz — all of which are completely in the realm of possibility — the Tide’s score would reach 329.52.

That’s 30 commitments, without counting any potential Transfer Portal additions. How would that stack up with year’s past? It would surpass UA’s 2022 class by roughly six points. It would edge the Tide’s record-breaking 2021 class by about two points, and it would best Bama’s 2020 class by nearly 20 points. This would all but assure Alabama the recruiting crown.

Deion pretty much said the kid was going to follow him.

Which seems like tampering since it's not one of his actual sons, but who knows? Rules don't seem to matter for some.
That's a pretty nit picky accusation considering deion has been his coach. Having players follow you is hardly tampering.

That's a pretty nit picky accusation considering deion has been his coach. Having players follow you is hardly tampering.
So it’s not tampering to recruit players from the school you’re at to the one you’re going to? What are the rules? Would be really hard to enforce.

Portal is quite a bit of fool’s good. Most kids are leaving for a reason that isn’t good. The best run programs are very judicious here.

I’d also expect us to be patient and line up most visits in January with the kids we really want. You want to either lock them in immediately early or build momentum to when it can be binding. Remember how Neyor played out last year.

I have been reading a lot about the portal players. I think the best value in the portal are the guys at smaller schools wanting to move up. Maybe they played at a smaller HS, didn't get the hype etc. and now they have something to prove, instead of somebody just looking for a deal.

I have been reading a lot about the portal players. I think the best value in the portal are the guys at smaller schools wanting to move up. Maybe they played at a smaller HS, didn't get the hype etc. and now they have something to prove, instead of somebody just looking for a deal.
They’re probably not going to get the hype though.

That's exactly right.

Portal guys from smaller schools are the new JUCO players. Guys you can slide in as starters or significant contributors on day one.

There are also guys that are leaving one school because of a coaching change, or because they ultimately regret their decision and want to go to the other school that recruited them closely.

But you are correct that the small school guys looking for a bigger stage are the studs.

Not too shocked Jordan Phillips has hopped into the portal.

He's a bit undersized for interior DL, but not quite explosive to be an edge guy. Best of luck, he'll be taking a step down to either a G5 or FCS school though.
I think most of the portal guys fit this mode as far as not getting the playing time they want . I'm glad CJH and his staff are looking for what they want and not what we think they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back