Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for my BBQ/Smoker guys n gals. Doin a flat Brisket tomorrow on the smoker.Im already running behind but any suggestions on marinade or dry rubs..I've been out the smoker game for a few years and brisket was never my forte.I don't really see a need for marinade overnite based on the fact the cuts already tender.Should I just dry rub and wrap it in the fridge til tomorrow?

My wife's laughing saying I'm making this more complicated than it is which I'm sure she's correct.Also on the wood would u go more a mesquite w/cherry or apple mix or more of a hickory maple kinda oaky pecan with a fruit type mix i mean something along those lines..Just fishing for some tips ideas others may have tried and liked

Future advice. No flat do a butcher cut

No marinade. Dry rub with olive oil. Shave off excess fat.

Hickory. That's it.

2 games below .500 in the SEC…. Not bad…. Just keep improving.

Yep - exceptional bounce-back win today.

I was stunned to see the stat that Florida hasn't swept Tennessee in Knoxville since 1992. Glad they kept that streak going!

We complain about the starting pitching being below our expectations in SEC play... but our third day starter might be the best third day starter in the league, which is giving us a fighting chance. Heck, he might need to be our Friday starter. It will be interesting to see how that develops throughout the year. He was exceptional today.

Question for my BBQ/Smoker guys n gals. Doin a flat Brisket tomorrow on the smoker.Im already running behind but any suggestions on marinade or dry rubs..I've been out the smoker game for a few years and brisket was never my forte.I don't really see a need for marinade overnite based on the fact the cuts already tender.Should I just dry rub and wrap it in the fridge til tomorrow?

My wife's laughing saying I'm making this more complicated than it is which I'm sure she's correct.Also on the wood would u go more a mesquite w/cherry or apple mix or more of a hickory maple kinda oaky pecan with a fruit type mix i mean something along those lines..Just fishing for some tips ideas others may have tried and liked
Spread mustard over it then use whatever dry rub you want. Wrap in foil overnight. The mustard just holds the seasoning and you’ll never taste it. There’s a YouTube video that shows you how to cut it when it’s done. Of course let it rest for a few hours after it comes off.

Flat only is already giving yourself an uphill battle. A lot of fat missing to cover up anything you don't do perfectly.

No marinade for sure. I prefer Texas style, coarse salt and pepper only, 50/50, pretty thick. Depends how thick your brisket is and how much fat, but on a thick whole one I get it to where I can barely see meat.

Hickory/oak/pecan for sure, the fruit woods are way too wimpy for a brisket. I only use them for pork ribs and chicken. 250 degrees max.

Spray with apple juice/vinegar mix every hour if you can until you foil crutch when you hit the stall (temp gets stuck and won't go up anymore). Pull it at 202. Rest for an hour if you can. Basically start at 5am if you want it for dinner haha.

Everyone is different, but my buddy who won a few national competitions and now makes millions from a restaurant gave me that one. Granted he uses whole Prime brisket, which makes everything better. I've never come close to replicating how good his is even following his recipe, but hopefully some of that will help inform any gaps for you. Pics after you finish!

Just pouring rain for the Auburn Spring Game. Have seen 3 passes so far. Just started the 2nd quarter.

Hope the weather cooperates next week in Knoxville.

Update: It was pouring rain and I believe Hugh Freeze called an audible after halftime. They just played one 15 min quarter after the half because of the weather.

Last edited:
As a former pitcher, I have to ask what does throwing instead of pitching even mean? This isn’t middle school. These dudes know how to pitch and Frank Anderson is an excellent pitching coach.

Are you saying there is no strategy pitching? That’s wrong. Bc I promise they have a game plan. They’ve scouted these teams and have a plan to attack. And the pitching staff knows the plan. Not like that would be a secret.

If you just mean they aren’t executing their pitches, I agree. Why? Couldn’t tell you. Usually a bad habit mechanically which can be difficult to shake. And enough of it can bleed into a mental game. Could be the problem. Seems doubtful these guys would lose confidence considering their tools, but they could be focusing too much on correcting a deficiency.
One thing I've noticed and I am no expert by any means, is that they are trying to be too fine sometimes. Make the perfect pitch and fall behind in the count. It might also be a lack of focus. They seem to give up a lot of dingers when ahead in the count.

Reactions: MarcoVol
I wonder what the analytics say… is the pitchers spin rate and such down this year? Could it be mental and the pitchers be stressing more bc they know they won’t have the run support that they did the year before?
Shuffle the rotation. Let Beam pitch Friday against their ace and save Dolly for game 2. Might want to think about sending Burns to the bullpen for a series or two to shake him up.

Is this a packer brisket, or legit just a flat? Just a flat is more difficult. Fruit wood normally doesn’t go with beef.. that’s for chicken and pork. Definitely no marinade unless that’s just your thing. Most places would never use a marinade on a brisket and instead just stick with rubs. I prefer just heavy salt and pepper.You can bind it with olive oil, mustard, whatever you prefer.

Biggest thing to make note though is use a temp probe so you know where you are at temp wise, and when it gets to about 190F go ahead and start probing for tenderness. Mine usually end up around 200F when finished but every cut can be slightly different. I pulled one at 193F one time and it was still very tender. You can use a toothpick or even the temperature probe. You want it to slide in and out easy. Once you have that, go ahead and wrap it up in butcher paper or whatever you want to use and throw it in a cooler for a couple hours before you slice it. Once you slice, make sure it’s against the grain. Lots of good videos on cutting one on YouTube if you need to see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back