Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to skip ahead.
HS graduation for my daughter.
College orientation already!
Now I’m at Parkland’s Camp for Burn Injured Children (disabled children’s camp for the week). Poor service here, so I’m going to get behind again.

But I still believe

15-0 🤠
You got lots of good stuff to read about. Dad jokes every single day. You're welcome!!!!

I’m at Camp I-Thonka-Chi
Choctaw for “a place that makes one brave and fearless, not afraid to face life”

Parkland hospital is a regional burn center. As a 2nd year resident, I was asked to be the camp doc for the camp’s first full week camp. That was 1992. I was hooked. Camp has definitely shaped who I am as a physician, person, parent, friend, and even spouse.

It’s at a camp that’s set up for children with disabilities. Every week of the Summer, they have a different camp. The week before us is renal camp, the week after us is Spina Bifida camp, and so on throughout the Summer.

This year marks my 25th year to be the camp doctor. I’ve had to miss a couple of camps due to family illness or family obligations. My wife is a Pediatrician and we share medical duties. She is illness and I am injury.
My contract with my group states that I have the week of camp off work. As I told a previous employer, I can find another job, but I can’t find another Burn Camp.

Many of the counselors are former campers. Firefighters, nurses, etc. The amazing thing to me are the kids that were in my cabin in the early years are now counselors. One young man started camp at age 8. He turns 38 later this year. The Lord works here at Camp every year. Throughout the years, I have found a firefighter sitting apart crying. When I ask if I can help, the story goes like this: The firefighter tells me that a camper in his/her cabin told them how the camper was burned. The firefighter realizes that he/she was the first responder who rescued the camper. The firefighter then says these tears are joyous knowing that their life’s work is justified and that they have been shown this by a higher power. What are the odds that they save this child’s life, thinking that the child won’t make it only to meet the child years later and see that same child running around playing!

This camp and these people and experiences is the reason for my unending optimism about just about everything in life.

15-0 🤠

Had to skip ahead.
Now I’m at Parkland’s Camp for Burn Injured Children (disabled children’s camp for the week). Poor service here, so I’m going to get behind again.

But I still believe

15-0 🤠

I’m at Camp I-Thonka-Chi
Choctaw for “a place that makes one brave and fearless, not afraid to face life”

Parkland hospital is a regional burn center. As a 2nd year resident, I was asked to be the camp doc for the camp’s first full week camp. That was 1992. I was hooked. Camp has definitely shaped who I am as a physician, person, parent, friend, and even spouse.

It’s at a camp that’s set up for children with disabilities. Every week of the Summer, they have a different camp. The week before us is renal camp, the week after us is Spina Bifida camp, and so on throughout the Summer.

This year marks my 25th year to be the camp doctor. I’ve had to miss a couple of camps due to family illness or family obligations. My wife is a Pediatrician and we share medical duties. She is illness and I am injury.
My contract with my group states that I have the week of camp off work. As I told a previous employer, I can find another job, but I can’t find another Burn Camp.

Many of the counselors are former campers. Firefighters, nurses, etc. The amazing thing to me are the kids that were in my cabin in the early years are now counselors. One young man started camp at age 8. He turns 38 later this year. The Lord works here at Camp every year. Throughout the years, I have found a firefighter sitting apart crying. When I ask if I can help, the story goes like this: The firefighter tells me that a camper in his/her cabin told them how the camper was burned. The firefighter realizes that he/she was the first responder who rescued the camper. The firefighter then says these tears are joyous knowing that their life’s work is justified and that they have been shown this by a higher power. What are the odds that they save this child’s life, thinking that the child won’t make it only to meet the child years later and see that same child running around playing!

This camp and these people and experiences is the reason for my unending optimism about just about everything in life.

15-0 🤠
😭😭😭😭😭🧡
Thank you so much for sharing!!! I can’t imagine the feeling and inspiration you get at that camp! Though nothing as wonderful as that, I have a similar experience with summer reading. Kids I taught in school bring their kids. And just when I wonder why I doing all of this since it’s so exhausting with my chronic fatigue, I have a mom so excited and thank me because the kid they have fought with all year to read schoolwork is loving reading their books and working for their rewards. It’s just me at the library. I have 92 kids so far. They’re worth it. Doing things that help people is always worth more than anything money can buy. I admire you and your work!! Thank you for the inspiration!

So our super-regional opponent will get decided later today. If Penn wins, we should host the super-regional at LNS. If Southern Miss wins, the NCAA decides which of us gets to host. Theoretically, it should be us, but the NCAA doesn't have to justify their reasoning, so we could get screwed out of hosting in that scenario.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
So our super-regional opponent will get decided later today. If Penn wins, we should host the super-regional at LNS. If Southern Miss wins, the NCAA decides which of us gets to host. Theoretically, it should be us, but the NCAA doesn't have to justify their reasoning, so we could get screwed out of hosting in that scenario.
I would bet we will host either way. The announcers said financials are a huge part of it. Brett Favre hasn’t taken that much money from the poor people of miss to beat out Tennessee.

Reactions: Brillovol

I'm not sure that's true...Southern Miss went into Regionals as the highest rated 2 seed. They were 17th when seeding was done and had an argument to host then.

I get we went 3-0 in our regional and beating Clemson helped our RPI a lot...but I think Southern Miss has more checks by their name to host than we do, unfortunately.

This conversation is why game threads become disasters. Keyboard heros coaching and quarterbacking from the comfort of our couches with our 20/20 hindsight goggles on. Coaches make calls in games. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.
Idiot Margin gonna idiot...it's what they do...and then make excuses for being idiots by saying stupid 🦬💩 like "I just say what is on my mind in real time" like it's some kind of brave hero thing to do...they are the reason I avoid VN so much lately....like fingernails on a chalk board.

When I say stuff that turns out to be stupid 🦬💩...at least I will admit it was stupid reactionary 🦬💩 instead of acting like a I am some heroic free thinker..😎

Well we won't face OU until a Best of 3 Final now. Beating OU 3 times is darn near impossible (had we won yesterday), but maybe we can beat them twice with Rogers and Gottshall. I wouldn't want them to have seen Rogers or Gottshall before the 3 game series if you can help it. Weakley said the plan was to bring in Rogers if we managed to get a lead to close it out but that opportunity never arrived.

We have both of them rested for Ok State and we need to beat Florida State twice. The good news is that we got out of the OU side of the bracket, and we can beat those two teams.
If our BB team from last year can be beaten....any team can be beaten.

I would bet we will host either way. The announcers said financials are a huge part of it. Brett Favre hasn’t taken that much money from the poor people of miss to beat out Tennessee.
Southern Miss has nice baseball facilities and actually holds more people than LNS from my understanding. So it's not clearcut.

Reactions: Volsdeep4
I'm not sure that's true...Southern Miss went into Regionals as the highest rated 2 seed. They were 17th when seeding was done and had an argument to host then.

I get we went 3-0 in our regional and beating Clemson helped our RPI a lot...but I think Southern Miss has more checks by their name to host than we do, unfortunately.
I disagree. We play in a harder league, and, like you said, we went 3-0 in our regional. We deserve to be rewarded for that. Southern Miss's loss should mean something, too. We are more deserving of hosting the super-regional. What happened in the regional should actually matter more than the season, IMO. And obviously, we had a better regional.

Had to skip ahead.

But I still believe

15-0 🤠

I’m at Camp I-Thonka-Chi

15-0 🤠
Doc we do the same thing here in North Carolina! We take the kids to camp in our fire trucks and it brings them such joy! It is the main public service event I look forward to on a yearly bases!

Volnation time for a huge prayer from everyone, as I said over a year ago my 6 year old nephew in Kentucky has been battling brain cancer! He has begun pain management home hospice and is currently taking Oxy every 4 hours and has a fentanyl patch! Miracles happen bye the grace of GOD, so let’s all reach out to him! Thank you Volnation!!

I disagree. We play in a harder league, and, like you said, we went 3-0 in our regional. We deserve to be rewarded for that. Southern Miss's loss should mean something, too. We are more deserving of hosting the super-regional. What happened in the regional should actually matter more than the season, IMO. And obviously, we had a better regional.

But going into regionals Southern Miss was 3 wins ahead of us and 13th on D1 top 25 why we were 21st.

We then went 0-1 in the SEC Tournament and Southern Miss goes 4-1 and wins their conference tournament.

I think objectively they'll get the hosting spot over us, thus I'm pulling for Penn.

But going into regionals Southern Miss was 3 wins ahead of us and 13th on D1 top 25 why we were 21st.

We then went 0-1 in the SEC Tournament and Southern Miss goes 4-1 and wins their conference tournament.

I think objectively they'll get the hosting spot over us, thus I'm pulling for Penn.
agree here.

Volnation time for a huge prayer from everyone, as I said over a year ago my 6 year old nephew in Kentucky has been battling brain cancer! He has begun pain management home hospice and is currently taking Oxy every 4 hours and has a fentanyl patch! Miracles happen bye the grace of GOD, so let’s all reach out to him! Thank you Volnation!!

Praying for peace and comfort for your family and that God's will be glorified and magnified even through the midst of pain and hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back