Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
200w.gif

revisiting conversations from the off-season that were missed the first time around.

Brandon Walker (of Unnecessary Roughness) and Josh Pate (of Late Kick)...

Walker: The 2023 Tennessee Volunteers are fascinating. I believe casual fans, "casuals" as you would call them.

Pate: Yup.

Walker: I believe fans have an idea about Tennessee that might be wrong. They believe because Hendon Hooker is not gonna be there, they're not gonna be nearly as good. My thing is, Hendon Hooker at Virginia tech was a thoroughly average quarterback. When he got to Josh Heupel and Tennessee, Heupel and Hooker worked together and became an unstoppable force. And their offense is designed to make you make decisions 20 yards down the field, and Hendon Hooker knew when and where to deliver the ball at all times. If he did it with Hendon Hooker, tell me why he can't do it with Joe Milton. I am not writing this team off for going 10-2, 11-1, 12-0 this year.

Pate: I think they'll be a better *team* this year. That doesn't guarantee a better record. I'm just saying, it wouldn't shock me if some oddsmaker came out and said 'hey, here at fanduel or DraftKings or whatever, we would have 2023 Tennessee as a field goal favorite over 2022 Tennessee. There's already case study for this. You already mentioned a lot of it so I don't have much to add, as rare as that is. When Hendon Hooker came to Tennessee... you can't have it both ways, you can't be the guy when he went there that said 'so what, he's Hendon Hooker' and then turn around and say 'of course he put up big numbers in the Heupel offense.' That's called development, man! That's called fit! Also, you can't say 'Joe Milton, ooh accuracy issues. Which, he had had, that was the book on him. Then all of a sudden he plays Clemson and it's just dime after dime after dime. So either he was the most zoned in you'll ever see, or you've got an early four quarter case study that he's been sitting on the bench, but working under Heupel and already gotten better.

Jalen Hurts when he got benched at Bama, and got to work under Sark, not even starting for a year. There's a reason when he came off the bench against Georgia he was able to win - he was a better quarterback! And so... Joe Milton is a better quarterback!

They're also bringing in one of the better players in the country to where if joe Milton doesn't work out, they have a 5-star quarterback that is there for spring and could very well be ready to go. They're also very silently recruiting better players defensively.

Walker: yeah

Pate: that's the thing nobody's talking about because it's offense that's the name of the game there. I think they'll be a better team this year. What that means, I don't know. They have to go to Tuscaloosa, so we'll see.

Walker: they were so bad defensively, and still went 11-2. They were so bad on defense that a 20% improvement on defense makes them a remarkably better team. And Joe Milton -- listen, if I saw Josh Heupel do it with Hendon Hooker, I'm going to assume that Heupel is capable of doing it with Joe Milton. One of the things people don't talk about, and Hendon Hooker did great, but Josh Heupel's offense results in more open receivers than any offense I've seen.

Pate: right

Walker: they confuse you, they make your DBs make decisions, and if you hesitate for a second, Hyatt is by you. And there will be a new Hyatt. I think Tennessee will be fascinating this year.

Pate: I thought Tennessee fans deserved [a good year], because unlike some fan bases that check out when they suck, Tennessee fans never checked out. They can be a little obnoxious, but that's not a bad thing, and that's why we have jobs. They never checked out. They were all in when Dooley was there, they backed Butch Jones and his trash cans. They embraced it all, I think they deserve it.

Walker: that's a good point, and they had to support Jeremy Pruitt.

I’ve read the rule. I just don’t think his move was trying to gain an advantage, which is my interpretation of the “deceitful” portion of the rule. The other thing is we will never know because the umpire isn’t required to publicly explain his reason.

Last edited:
Pretty drunk because I just put my dog down so I'll probably have a new screen name after i answer if there's there's any replies but I've been busy running her back and forth to the vet and overnight vets for the last couple weeks and haven't been able to keep up with recruiting. I know about the commits but is anything trending towards us?

TN supposedly leads for:

5⭐️ WR Mike Matthews
4⭐️Edge Danny Okoye
4⭐️WR Amari Jefferson( He is a 4 star)
4⭐️ RB Brayden Russell
3⭐️OL Ronan O’Connell
5⭐️ Edge Jordan Ross ( conflicting reports but he told Wiltfong we lead before his visit)
4⭐️OT Bennett Warren
4⭐️ WR Braylon Staley
4⭐️LB Edwin Spillman
5⭐️DL Kamarion Franklin.
4⭐️ OL William Satterwhite is 50:50.

TN is in a really good spot for all these. A few have already committed just not publicly. Incredible list.

Last edited:
revisiting conversations from the off-season that were missed the first time around.

Brandon Walker (of Unnecessary Roughness) and Josh Pate (of Late Kick)...

Walker: The 2023 Tennessee Volunteers are fascinating. I believe casual fans, "casuals" as you would call them.

Pate: Yup.

Walker: I believe fans have an idea about Tennessee that might be wrong. They believe because Hendon Hooker is not gonna be there, they're not gonna be nearly as good. My thing is, Hendon Hooker at Virginia tech was a thoroughly average quarterback. When he got to Josh Heupel and Tennessee, Heupel and Hooker worked together and became an unstoppable force. And their offense is designed to make you make decisions 20 yards down the field, and Hendon Hooker knew when and where to deliver the ball at all times. If he did it with Hendon Hooker, tell me why he can't do it with Joe Milton. I am not writing this team off for going 10-2, 11-1, 12-0 this year.

Pate: I think they'll be a better *team* this year. That doesn't guarantee a better record. I'm just saying, it wouldn't shock me if some oddsmaker came out and said 'hey, here at fanduel or DraftKings or whatever, we would have 2023 Tennessee as a field goal favorite over 2022 Tennessee. There's already case study for this. You already mentioned a lot of it so I don't have much to add, as rare as that is. When Hendon Hooker came to Tennessee... you can't have it both ways, you can't be the guy when he went there that said 'so what, he's Hendon Hooker' and then turn around and say 'of course he put up big numbers in the Heupel offense.' That's called development, man! That's called fit! Also, you can't say 'Joe Milton, ooh accuracy issues. Which, he had had, that was the book on him. Then all of a sudden he plays Clemson and it's just dime after dime after dime. So either he was the most zoned in you'll ever see, or you've got an early four quarter case study that he's been sitting on the bench, but working under Heupel and already gotten better.

Jalen Hurts when he got benched at Bama, and got to work under Sark, not even starting for a year. There's a reason when he came off the bench against Georgia he was able to win - he was a better quarterback! And so... Joe Milton is a better quarterback!

They're also bringing in one of the better players in the country to where if joe Milton doesn't work out, they have a 5-star quarterback that is there for spring and could very well be ready to go. They're also very silently recruiting better players defensively.

Walker: yeah

Pate: that's the thing nobody's talking about because it's offense that's the name of the game there. I think they'll be a better team this year. What that means, I don't know. They have to go to Tuscaloosa, so we'll see.

Walker: they were so bad defensively, and still went 11-2. They were so bad on defense that a 20% improvement on defense makes them a remarkably better team. And Joe Milton -- listen, if I saw Josh Heupel do it with Hendon Hooker, I'm going to assume that Heupel is capable of doing it with Joe Milton. One of the things people don't talk about, and Hendon Hooker did great, but Josh Heupel's offense results in more open receivers than any offense I've seen.

Pate: right

Walker: they confuse you, they make your DBs make decisions, and if you hesitate for a second, Hyatt is by you. And there will be a new Hyatt. I think Tennessee will be fascinating this year.

Pate: I thought Tennessee fans deserved [a good year], because unlike some fan bases that check out when they suck, Tennessee fans never checked out. They can be a little obnoxious, but that's not a bad thing, and that's why we have jobs. They never checked out. They were all in when Dooley was there, they backed Butch Jones and his trash cans. They embraced it all, I think they deserve it.

Walker: that's a good point, and they had to support Jeremy Pruitt.
That’s all so true!
Except we never embraced that trash can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back