Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is FSU going to land if they leave the ACC? B1G will not take then because of academic standards and FL not going to let them in the SEC

Honest question
FSU had their chance to join here at peak Bowden and chickened out. Not worried for them. They are surrounded by Bammaw, Aubie, and the Gayts, so it's not new real estate.

I don't think the academic standards talk is much besides propaganda. B1G might want FSU to get a foothold in Florida per recruiting. Idk. But I don't want them. Miami is a member of whatever association the B1G likes to brag about being a part of. I also notice, btw, that the B1G left Stanford and Cal in the garbage can. Because they are all about scholarship. 🙄

I don't know if the B1G would want Clemson per recruiting territory and someone to pair with FSU. I don't want B1G in our hood. But if the SEC decides to expand, provisionally I would say that I would prefer UNC and UVA: two contiguous states in new territory. But again, they are in our recruiting territory. Geographically, with the exception of FSU, we are the team that would appear to suffer most from our border universities gaining the prestige of belonging to the best league in sports. Or from the B1G trotting their frontrunners in to play locally. I'd be really curious what others think about the recruiting aspects of such things.

We look pretty strong at the moment with 16 teams: #91,038

Last edited:

I think Adoree just said that if you run track his stride/speed won't surprise you in the least but if you don't run track and associate speed with how fast a guy's legs are moving up and down instead of how much ground he's covering per stride then it probably will surprise you. That was a really diplomatic way of saying "Hyatt runs the way sprinters are taught to run because the fastest sprinters take the longest strides at a similar stride" without making anyone feel stupid for being ignorant of track.

I think Adoree just said that if you run track his stride/speed won't surprise you in the least but if you don't run track and associate speed with how fast a guy's legs are moving up and down instead of how much ground he's covering per stride then it probably will surprise you. That was a really diplomatic way of saying "Hyatt runs the way sprinters are taught to run because the fastest sprinters take the longest strides at a similar stride" without making anyone feel stupid for being ignorant of track.
In other words, and not to discount Hyatt's natural gifts, we have first-class development in the WR room.

And Sabey's and Kirby's negative recruiting lies become a little more obvious with every passing day.

Last edited:
Tell me, @bigl3327, and answer me in the "Football Talk" thread if this is too off-topic. How do you understand the recruiting implications of further B1G or SEC expansion. I'm thinking of Clemson, UVA, VT, UNC, GT, etc. And also FSU and Miami.

I think the SEC is in a position of power right now at 16 teams. It also seems to be the upper limit if we are going to realize the dream of everybody playing everybody home and away regularly. But if ACC teams were to decide to run for the exits like the Pac Rats just did, our team seems to be in an almost unique circumstance because these candidate schools are on our border (except for the 2 in FL) and in rich recruiting territory for us.

If they joined the B1G, that would mean B1G teams playing in our side yard on a regular basis, which seems like it might help B1G frontrunners to get constant exposure to our targets. On the other hand, if the SEC were to absorb them, we would have border schools with the sudden benefit of being in the best league in football. Whereas being SEC is currently a big advantage for us with recruits in those areas who want to play the best competition. What strikes you about this situation? And no need to respond immediately.

Last edited:

1. Big fight feel for games vs the elite of the SEC.

2. As a Vols fan, I want regional games to become rivalries.

If forced, I’d take UNC & UVA.

North Carolina & Virginia are both logical expansion options geographically for the SEC.
North Carolina & Virginia are both logical expansion options from a TV market perspective for the SEC.
North Carolina & Virginia both bring premier revenue sports programs to the SEC.
North Carolina & Virginia both raise the academic profile of the SEC.

Doubt that combo is a possibility, though.

Why VaTech over Virginia?

To my knowledge, VT had been better than UVA historically, at least during the Beamer years. As of today, though, I’m not sure VT is any better than UVA aside from maybe having a more dedicated fan base. Neither are great pickups by any means. Kind of a coin flip to be honest.

To my knowledge, VT had been better than UVA historically, at least during the Beamer years. As of today, though, I’m not sure VT is any better than UVA aside from maybe having a more dedicated fan base. Neither are great pickups by any means. Kind of a coin flip to be honest.
They are historically a better football program. That’s true.

Does UVA offer a better footprint for TV deals? Maybe.
UVA also has a premier basketball program.
UVA is the premier academic institution.
Give em SEC money and id bet they get better at football.

I think UVA is the better option. Jmo.

They are historically a better football program. That’s true.

Does UVA offer a better footprint for TV deals? Maybe.
UVA also has a premier basketball program.
UVA is the premier academic institution.
Give em SEC money and id bet they get better at football.

I think UVA is the better option. Jmo.

I don’t disagree. From a basketball perspective, UVA always has and always will care more about men’s hoops than VT ever will. The Buzz Williams era was the modern day pinnacle of VT men’s hoops.

As far as football goes, both programs seem to be at a bit of a crossroads at the moment with young head coaches with a lot to prove. However, I think it’s very fair to be of the opinion that UVA is the better option for the SEC. VT became VT because of Beamer. With him long gone, it’s tough to envision VT ever becoming a powerhouse again.

Reactions: 85SugarVol
I don’t disagree. From a basketball perspective, UVA always has and always will care more about men’s hoops than VT ever will. The Buzz Williams era was the modern day pinnacle of VT men’s hoops.

As far as football goes, both programs seem to be at a bit of a crossroads at the moment with young head coaches with a lot to prove. However, I think it’s very fair to be of the opinion that UVA is the better option for the SEC. VT became VT because of Beamer. With him long gone, it’s tough to envision VT ever becoming a powerhouse again.
I think that’s probably true.

B1G 9:00am Kickoff
Autzen Stadium could play off of the "Breakfast at Wembledon" strawberries & cream tradition... incorporate one of eastern Oregon's great exports... and serve marionberries & cream.

Of course, if they're hosting Maryland, those fans will be confused by which marion berry they mean, and expect it to come with white powdered sugar.

Last edited:
I think we, as a group, should help them come up with a new name for their conference that has something to do/say about the information contained in the above graphic you've created.

Suggestions?
Pigskin goulash? Just throw in the kitchen sink.

Attachments

• Goulash.jpg
    Goulash.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 4
Nwaneri and Franklin for RG is all I want for Christmas. Back up the truck spyre. Also, someone send in the strippers.

I think we, as a group, should help them come up with a new name for their conference that has something to do/say about the information contained in the above graphic you've created.

Suggestions?
Since every bowl game and stadium has a corporate sponsor, why not have corporate sponsors for their new conference?

1691233562650.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back