Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was that house right on a curve on Walker Springs? Lighter colored bricks?
I don't remember the house...I remember the awesome lighted Tennis-Basketball court. There was a little garage off to the side, and one day one of the guys took me over there and showed me a beautiful red corvette through the windows...he said it was a car that Dr Overholt had bought for Tony Robinson.

August 19, 1951

Hall of Fame baseball owner Bill Veeck is remembered for many things, including winning American League pennants as owner of the Cleveland Indians in 1948 and the Chicago White Sox in 1959; suffering injuries as a Marine in WWII that required him to use a wooden leg the rest of his life; signing Larry Doby as the first openly African American player in the American League; and bringing Satchel Paige to the Cleveland Indians as a 42-year-old rookie.

To the many people that refer to Veeck as the “Barnum of Baseball,” however, his legacy is associated with a single plate appearance that he orchestrated as a publicity stunt while owner of the lowly St. Louis Browns in 1951 .
The man who took that plate appearance was Chicago native Eddie Gaedel, who at 3’7” and 65 pounds is the smallest man ever to play Major League Baseball.

Armed with a small strike zone and Veeck’s orders not to swing, Gaedel would draw a four-pitch walk against Tigers starter Bob Cain, in what would be his only career plate-appearance.
As he trotted to first base, the fanfare continued as Gaedel was lifted for a pinch-runner. He would end his career with a perfect on-base percentage of 1.000.

1ce84b5c-58b8-4112-a2df-6a9a1a1c280b_1140x641.jpg

Tennessee Football Preseason TV Special to Air Starting This Weekend - University of Tennessee Athletics

Be sure to catch the Vol Network's VOLS '23: FAST, FUN, REAL televised special, airing statewide beginning this weekend. This hour-long Tennessee football preseason special is sure to get Big Orange Country ready for kickoff.

VFL Films takes you behind the scenes of fall camp, as head coach Josh Heupel prepares the Volunteers for the 2023 campaign. The Vol Network's Bob Kesling returns, alongside Heupel, to take you inside the UT huddle, including a conversation with quarterback Joe Milton III.

VOLS '23: FAST. FUN. REAL can be seen on TV affiliates across the state and online at UTsports.com. Check your local listings, including Knoxville on WVLT-TV Channel 8, which airs the special Saturday, Aug. 19, at 7 p.m. ET.

his full hour of exclusive access is made possible by UT Medical Center, the official healthcare provider of the Vols.

Market Affiliate Date Times (Local)
Chattanooga WTVC-TV Ch. 9 (ABC) Sun. Aug 27 Noon
Knoxville WVLT-TV Ch. 8 (CBS) Sat. Aug 19 7 p.m.
Nashville WUXP-TV Ch. 30 (My) Sat. Aug 26 3 p.m.
Tri Cities WJHL-TV Ch. 11 (CBS) Sat. Aug 19 7 p.m.
Digital UTsports.com

VOLS 23: Fast, Fun, Real - University of Tennessee Athletics (utsports.com)

Last edited:
Eric Westmoreland. Most underrated LB in TN history. I’ll place my pension on it.

Love it.

For a number of years we had seats beside a couple who were very close friends/mentors of E-Mo's going back to his youth in Jasper. Great RB in high school. After his career ended he would join them for some of the games. Really enjoyed visiting with him - super guy. The kids love him at the camps.

ACvol3 insider status confirmed. 👀
Is my story old news? It was the first I heard of it.. but I work closely with a guy that played on the team the last 4 seasons and is still really close to some current players.. so I do have some info finally. I’ve been asking a lot of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back