Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a huge pet peeve of mine for years. Half the time they don't even ask questions. They already have the angle of their articles in mind and then direct the players/coaches to give them the soundbites/quotes they want. Imperative sentences don't belong in journalism.

The worst is "talk about."

"Talk about when you caught that ball."

"Uh yeah, that was a big play for us."

Such insight!

It drives me crazy too. I only took a couple of Journalism classes but "talk about" "just" and "kind of" in questioning, and taking forever to get a question out, were absolute no-no's.

Been a huge pet peeve of mine for years. Half the time they don't even ask questions. They already have the angle of their articles in mind and then direct the players/coaches to give them the soundbites/quotes they want. Imperative sentences don't belong in journalism.

The worst is "talk about."

"Talk about when you caught that ball."

"Uh yeah, that was a big play for us."

Such insight!
Pet Peed*

Apparently Halzle was like "Why the hell did you do that" when he found out that Joe was launching oranges long and high at practice. You can throw your arm out doing that.

I don't think they're fuming or anything, I think they thought it was a stupid idea and would have wanted to know about it.
Got it. I hadn't heard that. I actually worried about throwing his arm out too but then remembered it was made from vibranium

44 degrees outside today, time to lay out in the sun. . . May head up to Townsend and go swimming to cool off a little, before the games start today. . .
Fun fact, the BWO hatch starts when water temps hit 45°. Sprinkle a bit of yellow dubbing in with your white/blue to match the hatch. May want to tie a pheasant tail dropper off a black caddis.

$5 please...ahhh dreams of hatches with ice on my fingers. starting to get the bug. get it?

Fun fact, the BWO hatch starts when water temps hit 45°. Sprinkle a bit of yellow dubbing in with your white/blue to match the hatch. May want to tie a pheasant tail dropper off a black caddis.

$5 please...ahhh dreams of hatches with ice on my fingers. starting to get the bug. get it?
Too hot to be fishing, 😆
Really though, you ever go up Middle Prong Trail road (Upper Tremont rd) and fish? One of the best places around for it.

Too hot to be fishing, 😆
Really though, you ever go up Middle Prong Trail road and fish? One of the best places around for it.
sounds like Townsend.

No but was offered a job in my formative years by the Orvis shop to guide there.

would love to go back, little river is fun, not too big easy casting.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
44 degrees outside today, time to lay out in the sun. . . May head up to Townsend and go swimming to cool off a little, before the games start today. . .
I never thought I would be the kind of guy to know the difference between 0 degrees and 30 degrees, but I felt noticeably warmer when the temps finally went up. Today really does feel like Spring Break lol

sounds like Townsend.

No but was offered a job in my formative years by the Orvis shop to guide there.

Yeah, it's a great hike up to Indian Flats Falls. Not really difficult and dozens of waterfalls and historical stuff on the trail.

sounds like Townsend.

Little River Outfitters? I used to stop in there pretty frequently back in the day.
Man, I haven’t fished in the Smokies in decades. In the late 90s I would go up with a buddy and fish Thunderhead Prong of Sam’s Creek for brookies. (I think that was the stream). Tiny, beautiful fish in a beautiful setting!

Last edited:
Yep…. Joe is one of the most physically gifted players of all time…. If anyone should be drafted off of physical attributes then it should be him.
This. You know there is some nfl coach out there who thinks he can tame that arm. He'd be a HoF QB if someone can ever get his accuracy and touch figured out. He's got Josh Allen written all over him.

Dec. 29, 1986

TENNESSEE - 21
MINNESOTA - 14

MEMPHIS — Jeff Francis threw three touchdown passes and the Vol defense shut down Minnesota when it had to, leading Tennessee to a 21-14 victory over Minnesota in the 28th Liberty Bowl.
The Vols jumped to a 14-3 halftime lead as Francis threw touchdown passes to wide receiver Joey Clinkscales and fullback William Howard. Minnesota got a late field goal from Chip Lohmiller and trailed 14-3 at the half.
The Gophers dominated the third period, getting a touchdown from quarterback Rickey Foggie on a fourth- down option play. Freshman Darrell Thompson’s two- point conversion run put Minnesota back in the game. Another field goal from Lohmiller in the fourth quarter knotted the count.
The Vols roared back for the clinching score, as Francis hit Nate Middlebrooks and Anthony Miller to move deep into Minnesota territory. On third-and-3, he hit Clinkscales for the game-winner in the left corner of the end zone. The Vol defense shut down Foggie and Minnesota the rest of the way and rang up UT’s third Liberty Bowl victory in as many tries.

SCORING SUMMARY
TENN — Clinkscales 18 pass from Francis (Reveiz kick)
TENN — Howard 23 pass from Francis (Reveiz kick)
MINN — Lohmiller 27 FG
MINN — Foggie 11 run (Thompson run)
MINN — Lohmiller 25 FG
TENN — Clinkscales 15 pass from Francis (Reveiz kick)

View attachment 527364
I absolutely love these historical posts. Thanks very much for sharing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back