Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan. 1, 1996
ORLANDO, Fla. —

Jeff Hall kicked two fourth quarter field goals and the Vols defense held Ohio State in check as UT defeated the Buckeyes 20-14 on a rainy day in the Florida Citrus Bowl. Jay Graham, the game’s MVP, rushed for 154 yards, including a 69-yard scoring dash late in the first half that pulled the Vols even, 7-7, at halftime. Peyton Manning completed 20 of 35 passes for 182 yards and one touchdown. Joey Kent led the Vol receiving corps with seven catches for 109 yards, including a 47-yard scoring toss from Manning that gave UT a 14-7 advantage in the third quarter. Hall’s two field goals in the fourth quarter came after the Buckeyes had tied the game, 14-14. Tennessee’s defense, which had stopped the Buckeyes on a second quarter fourth-andinches at the 3-yard line, forced three turnovers in OSU’s final four possessions. UT held Ohio State, with Heisman winner Eddie George, to a season-low 89 yards on the ground. The victory upped Tennessee’s record to 11-1, its best since 1989 and propelled the Vols to a No. 2 finish in the final CNN/USA Today poll, UT’s highest since 1967. The Vols were tabbed No. 3 in final Associated Press voting.

SCORING SUMMARY
OSU — George 2 run (Jackson kick)
TENN — Graham 69 run (Hall kick)
TENN — Kent 47 pass from Manning (Hall kick)
OSU — Dudley 32 pass from Hoying (Jackson kick)
TENN — Hall 29 FG
TENN — Hall 25 FG

Top 5 game I've ever attended!

904x490%20%284%29.jpg
I told my brother that this orange bowl reminded me of either the 1990 cotton bowl or the 1996 citrus bowl. Both I think part of setting up future success.

Been at the ER with my husband all day. He had another episode last night where he can’t remember the day or events. Last night he couldn’t remember if he turned on the shower or got in, nothing about Christmas or that our son was in rehab. Then he had a seizure on me this morning. Lots of tests but we’re not able to do an MRI to see if there were mini strokes. Everything was fine except his sugar dropped really low while there. Doctor’s appointment next week. Y’all be praying please.
I know this may sound crazy but I had hypoglycemia and my blood sugar would get really low and I could get spaced out and be foggy on things so may be something as simple as that! Hope he’s better!!

So we want Georgia to beat TCU? Yuck.. but if it makes Vols go higher in rankings I guess I will stomach it for the greater good 😂
What I wanted went out the window when osu failed last night.

I'm definitely rooting for Georgia to lose.

Not confident it happens, so moving on to best case scenario😏

Guys and gals me and the kids could use all the prayers you can muster. Friday I went and filed for a divorce, also filed for full custody of my 10 year old son, that should give a hint to what’s taking place. The hardest thing I’ve ever had to do is sit my youngest down and explain this to him. Tore my heart out.
My goodness. Prayers for you and prayers for you children. That is so hard on everyone and I will pray that you and the kids get the best possible outcome. So very sorry you have had to endure such a difficult thing.

it took Tom Osborne 22 years to win a National championship. He even thought about going to Colorado because fans were restless with 9-2, 10-2 seasons but of course he stayed. He retired with 3 NCs after 25 seasons. Got to have some Patience and it’ll come. As long as you’re consistently up there punching you’ll break the wall down eventually. Something a few fan bases can learn to have
Way different eras... Counting on votes vs playoff... Nebraska probably wind at heart a couple more titles in this formatting

So we're going to jump Bama, who we're currently 50 votes behind, due to beating #10 Clemson by 17, when Bama beat #11 K St by 25?

I mean...maybe the name brand of Clemson helps. Or AP voters seeing Clemson ranked 7th in the CFB ranking.

But I low key think that guy is trying to get back in our good graces after he ran crying from Vol Twitter during the season 😅 Not that I love all of Vol Twitter, but I didn't mind that witch burning at all.

Jan. 1, 1996
ORLANDO, Fla. —

Jeff Hall kicked two fourth quarter field goals and the Vols defense held Ohio State in check as UT defeated the Buckeyes 20-14 on a rainy day in the Florida Citrus Bowl. Jay Graham, the game’s MVP, rushed for 154 yards, including a 69-yard scoring dash late in the first half that pulled the Vols even, 7-7, at halftime. Peyton Manning completed 20 of 35 passes for 182 yards and one touchdown. Joey Kent led the Vol receiving corps with seven catches for 109 yards, including a 47-yard scoring toss from Manning that gave UT a 14-7 advantage in the third quarter. Hall’s two field goals in the fourth quarter came after the Buckeyes had tied the game, 14-14. Tennessee’s defense, which had stopped the Buckeyes on a second quarter fourth-andinches at the 3-yard line, forced three turnovers in OSU’s final four possessions. UT held Ohio State, with Heisman winner Eddie George, to a season-low 89 yards on the ground. The victory upped Tennessee’s record to 11-1, its best since 1989 and propelled the Vols to a No. 2 finish in the final CNN/USA Today poll, UT’s highest since 1967. The Vols were tabbed No. 3 in final Associated Press voting.

SCORING SUMMARY
OSU — George 2 run (Jackson kick)
TENN — Graham 69 run (Hall kick)
TENN — Kent 47 pass from Manning (Hall kick)
OSU — Dudley 32 pass from Hoying (Jackson kick)
TENN — Hall 29 FG
TENN — Hall 25 FG

Top 5 game I've ever attended!

904x490%20%284%29.jpg
I was there too. I remember fans having uncooked chickens in the seats behind the end zone yelling overrated at Eddie George. Messy day but a great memory.

So we're going to jump Bama, who we're currently 50 votes behind, due to beating #10 Clemson by 17, when Bama beat #11 K St by 25?

I mean...maybe the name brand of Clemson helps. Or AP voters seeing Clemson ranked 7th in the CFB ranking.

But I low key think that guy is trying to get back in our good graces after he ran crying from Vol Twitter during the season 😅 Not that I love all of Vol Twitter, but I didn't mind that witch burning at all.
I also seen to remember...
1672613254157.jpeg

I told my brother that this orange bowl reminded me of either the 1990 cotton bowl or the 1996 citrus bowl. Both I think part of setting up future success.
It made me think back to the Peach Bowl against them. That was just a 13 pt loss, but it was pretty embarrassing at the time as #6 vs an unranked.

Though looking back, Clemson had upset #3 FSU the month before, before thrashing Duke and USCjr. Guess something clicked for them, but it was a crappy loss. Didn't even know who Clemson was or where they were located back then. They were absolute nobodies across college sports.

I also seen to remember...
View attachment 528464
No doubt, but if AP voters already had us behind them, then our win was already baked in to that too. Not saying that made sense, but don't see what changed to have us jump them now, again...unless the name brand Clemson win is bigger in the voters' minds than beating just K St.

NOW I could see OSU dropping to #6. Lost 2 straight games. Who knows.

At the end of the day, it's really kind of a meaningless difference...except "top 5" just sounds a lot cooler than top 10 and no doubt there's someone tracking top 5 finishes...would like to add another notch to that belt I suppose.

You realize you are arguing with yourself, right? Instead, argue with the guys in the replay booth who called it after thoroughly reviewing it. Maybe you need to give them your interpretation of the rule.
You realize you don’t have a clue about what I’m arguing.
Never said it was targeting, have no issue with the replay booth.
You and the ones I’ve been arguing must not be able to comprehend that you can have helmets hit and it’s not targeting.
I’m arguing with the ones that refuse to admit helmets hit. It’s on video

Looks like helmet contact to me in the video "Ale"x posted - water under the bridge as they say, but given Smart's post-game comments after we played them, I'd say he'd put the word out.

I think so too. People are focusing on the "crown of the helmet" part of the infraction, but there's more to it than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back