Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also...it's not too crazy to think 4.7 YPC isn't enough.

Travis Henry: 5.5
James Stewart: 5.4
Johnnie Jones: 5.5
Jamal Lewis: 5.5
Cedric Houston: 5.3
Reggie Cobb: 5.3
Charlie Garner: 6.7

Hell last season Small was at 5.6. Like I said though I want both Small & Wright back, but if the numbers shift where Wright is the featured guy more it wouldn't surprise me and I think he'd produce just as well.
Kamara and Evans were both over 6 too iirc

On offense, absolutely. On the DL, too. I've also liked the work BJM has done with our LBs. I still have questions on the secondary.

But there's nothing wrong with wanting to see more talent on the team. Certainly, you have to be mindful of the type of players this staff wants and realize not everyone is a culture fit. But it also hurts to see rivals get better by taking these same players. We're fanatics for a reason.
We were fourth in the sec in ppg allowed…. Seems pretty good to me.

WR, OL, DL and a versatile RB/playmaker. Warren returning is no surprise-- they've known it was very high prob for a while-- but I think they'll take another TE if they can find the right one. They like the DBs coming in and are pleased with the QB room. Expect it to be fluid as they move guys around and see where the pieces best fit.
WR has been known. If we get Thornton, do we stop there, or do we want more than 1 WR? I'm assuming OL is mainly an OT, particularly a RT. CRG knows his DL. I'm assuming he wants more bodies for his rotation. Any idea how many he wants? And I was thinking the same on TE. Having Warren back is great, but you never know when someone might get hurt and the position needs depth.

Is it a foregone conclusion that Wright will enter the portal, or is there still a chance he stays? And does looking for a RB depend on that?

Hope we look for a #1 CB.

As someone who graduated high school in 94, I approve of this picture! Reminds me of countless photos of me and my friends that I have packed away in photo albums somewhere.

I always wonder what kids these days will be able to look back on when they are adults. Will they even have any physical pictures or photo albums to go through? Those iPhone pics might not still be viewable 10-20 years from now…
I have to force myself to print off pictures from my phone now lol.. you are right, the best part was going to pick up the pictures and you didn’t know what the heck you were going to get.. class of 92 here lol

That’s what good backs do. They get yards and play hard. Hate when people say well take away a game. Like when trying to talk about our defense. You look at a whole seasons work and then compare. It’s not wrong to say that Wright and Sampson are bigger threats and have more potential. It’s the truth. Doesn’t mean small is a bad back. He is a good player.
Never made the argument that they weren't bigger threats.

If you look back to the start of the conversation the original post I disagreed with made the assertion that because of injury/missing spring Small might get buried on the depth chart and not see the field much next season.

I took issue with that take a little bit and that was the basis for the posts about Wright that followed.

Fact...but it's also a fact that he had those runs and Small didn't manage any. I like them both, and I wish they would stay
I don't see Small going anywhere, Wright is the only one shopping to my knowledge.

That being said I definitely want Wright back but if he chooses to leave and chase NIL/Clout then I say: go ahead. We have players (here or incoming) that can supplement his production imo

Take away the candy game and Wright only averaged .3 yds more per carry….. They made a good one-two punch…..Small more reliable in everything he does….. Wright more explosive.

To be fair to both players here, Smalls numbers were super inflated in that game too and it was his second highest YPC game of the year. 52 of his 79 yards came on one carry. If we’re going to take out this game from one player who had long runs, take it out for both since they both had inflated numbers that game. If you do take out that game for both, Wright averaged 5.0, Small averaged 4.4. Just wanted to point that out even though I agree overall that I like both and I like how the carries were distributed overall. Good 1-2 punch.

I realize this may sound bad, but a lot of his TDs have been walk-ins. Jaylen has been much more efficient overall. Maybe they use Small more in the Red Zone/Goal Line scenarios, but his TD number is pretty inflated.
So are Wright's numbers and "efficiency" because of his big game against Candy

Reactions: Smokey19rt
As a community, let's put some focus on what ultimately matters. If we have members here that are having trouble making ends meet, let's not just rightly excuse any responsibility to give to Spyre. Let's do something positive.

If any of you are in troubled circumstances in this troubled time, don't be ashamed to speak up. Gofundme gives us all an avenue to help.
I should have specified it's more about the casual fan than anybody else. Most people on here cheer for the Vols when they play, wear a hat or shirt when they go out and maybe go to a game few a times in their lifetime. That is what makes up most fan bases and those people have a hard time giving money to something that is so new and really unknown in many ways.

I would wager several people on this site that can't afford to give the money, I would bet there are some having trouble buying medicine and food much less trying to lure some kid to play football. I am blessed not to be in that category but many are having a hard time making it. Granted the Vol brand is a large one but I'm not sure your average fan wants to fork over money into something they don't fully understand or believe in.
There are a lot of reasons why some people may not want to join. However, Spyre has made it easy for those who do want to join.

I'm glad we have them and have the ability to help if we want to. Whether you donate or not, we're all still equal as Vol fans. Donating doesn't make you any more of a fan.

If these freshmen DBs are good enough to get 1st and 2nd string play this season then I'm cool with it. We are only losing Flowers at S. Our young guys like Slaughter and Turnage improved by the end of the season.

2023 is a placeholder for me personally with expectations anyway. It can be a great season if Milton does what Hooker did or it can be decent (8-9 wins). I don't foresee the passing defense getting worse when you gain talent and don't lose much.

And a season with serious PT for those freshmen will do wonders with preparing them for 24 and 25 when I expect the program to truly take off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back