Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of depth moving on and chances to improve our roster goes up. Good luck to everyone who is leaving. I hope they find what they are looking for. We will be just fine.

Coaches will move guys around, upgrade in the portal and backfill depth. Still plenty of time to round out the roster, and spring will reveal the holes to plug. Once a player decides to go, it's better to bring in someone who sees opportunities, not obstacles.

Also...it's not too crazy to think 4.7 YPC isn't enough.

Travis Henry: 5.5
James Stewart: 5.4
Johnnie Jones: 5.5
Jamal Lewis: 5.5
Cedric Houston: 5.3
Reggie Cobb: 5.3
Charlie Garner: 6.7

Hell last season Small was at 5.6. Like I said though I want both Small & Wright back, but if the numbers shift where Wright is the featured guy more it wouldn't surprise me and I think he'd produce just as well.

So take away Wright's game against Vandy, but not Small's? Small without the Vandy game averaged just 4.5 YPC.

I think the big thing is Wright needs to become a better pass blocker and threat out of the backfield if he's going to get more plays in game. That's the only area where Small was more reliable and thus on the field more often.
They feel small is more reliable….. they will always rotate guys…. Small is a good back…. Could we upgrade? Definitely but it could also go the opposite way as well.

Just some thoughts since NIL keeps coming up...

I think it's embarrassing that we don't have 2,000 members in the Volunteer Club yet. Between the big 3 fan sites that we have, we should easily have 5,000 by now. We've barely tapped the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this fanbase overall.

From a program perspective, we are still in a great spot. We still have a great coach, we still have great players, the program isn't going to tank or anything like that. But we did squander an opportunity that we had for a 2-year window, that very few other programs had, to get a huge head start in NIL.

Maybe it's for the best, with what's happening with A&M and Miami. At the very least we are established in the NIL era to remain among the top 25 programs. I do think we are doing it the right way by trying to get our entire fanbase onboard, as opposed to leaning on one or just a few big name boosters. In due time I think we will have a large membership in the Vol Club.

I think we all know that with our fanbase and passion, there is no excuse for us not to be the top 5-10 NIL from here on out.
I have -0- discretionary money to give beyond my immediate family needs. Last year kicked my butt. I wish I could.

They feel small is more reliable….. they will always rotate guys…. Small is a good back…. Could we upgrade? Definitely but it could also go the opposite way as well.
I'm curious what Small could do if his shoulder holds up. He probably at least gets more carries that way.

I have -0- discretionary money to give beyond my immediate family needs. Last year kicked my butt. I wish I could.

I get it. I don't bring up NIL to try to shame single individuals that can't join. I know that some people take it that way. You aren't a bad fan or poor because you can't donate to Vol Club.

There have been many years in my life that I had $0 to my name. I'm not saying if you're a Vol fan you MUST sacrifice all other financial commitments and donate to Spyre before you do anything else. That's stupid.

For people that buy Tennessee merch, subscribe to the pay sites, donate to the university, go to games (and all the money that goes with that), I would suggest that those fans prioritize Vol Club at or near the top. For them, $5 or $25/month is doable.

I know the passion that this fanbase has, how many fans we have, how much money the fanbase as a whole spends on anything orange, and I know we can do better than 2,000 members.

Last edited:
$25/mo. . . just $.83/ a day, you can join Spyre and support our student athletes.
View attachment 529011

Exactly.

After I thought back to my days in college as a baseball player, how much I could have used just a little financial help, but received none; I had no option, I had to join. If you have any doubts please consider all of the time, focus and physical commitment these kids give to do their best for Tennessee and all of us.

Then join.

The guy that has been a 2 year starter and was second in the SEC in Rushing TD's this year??? Doubt it
I realize this may sound bad, but a lot of his TDs have been walk-ins. Jaylen has been much more efficient overall. Maybe they use Small more in the Red Zone/Goal Line scenarios, but his TD number is pretty inflated.

I think it's embarrassing that we don't have 2,000 members in the Volunteer Club yet. Between the big 3 fan sites that we have, we should easily have 5,000 by now. We've barely tapped the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this fanbase overall.

From a program perspective, we are still in a great spot. We still have a great coach, we still have great players, the program isn't going to tank or anything like that. But we did squander an opportunity that we had for a 2-year window, that very few other programs had, to get a huge head start in NIL.

Maybe it's for the best, with what's happening with A&M and Miami. At the very least we are established in the NIL era to remain among the top 25 programs. I do think we are doing it the right way by trying to get our entire fanbase onboard, as opposed to leaning on one or just a few big name boosters. In due time I think we will have a large membership in the Vol Club.

I think we all know that with our fanbase and passion, there is no excuse for us not to be the top 5-10 NIL from here on out.

To your point, I was a member of VQ for years when BH first started it. I was finishing my time there when Kiffin bolted, and that night I realized how much BH made. I am pretty sure that I remember that at least 10k fans were on that night when his famous "Guys, it's true" post was made. That was in the premium forum. Now, we have a free site here, so it shows how many people can sign up if they understand what it is. I know it is difficult to pay for something that you can't really see, but I have gotten some unexpected perks that I really am happy about. It will help the program in the long run, and our staff knows what they are doing in this day and age.

I would wager several people on this site that can't afford to give the money, I would bet there are some having trouble buying medicine and food much less trying to lure some kid to play football. I am blessed not to be in that category but many are having a hard time making it. Granted the Vol brand is a large one but I'm not sure your average fan wants to fork over money into something they don't fully understand or believe in.

I definitely want to get better but we did average almost 200 yds rushing per game with one of the toughest schedules in the nation.

Agree - not taking away from anything the guys have done. It's just really clear we are not using UGA, Bama, etc. type talented RBs. The scheme is really helping the guys we do have to achieve.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I would wager several people on this site that can't afford to give the money, I would bet there are some having trouble buying medicine and food much less trying to lure some kid to play football. I am blessed not to be in that category but many are having a hard time making it. Granted the Vol brand is a large one but I'm not sure your average fan wants to fork over money into something they don't fully understand or believe in.
This isn't about those people. And I feel for those people.

This is about the fans that are already spending money on Tennessee merch, games, experiences. Of which there are more than 2,000 people.

We had 58,000 season ticket holders last year. We should be able to do at least 10% of that number in Vol Club memberships.

Last edited:
That was me when I was being ‘courted’ lol

As someone who graduated high school in 94, I approve of this picture! Reminds me of countless photos of me and my friends that I have packed away in photo albums somewhere.

I always wonder what kids these days will be able to look back on when they are adults. Will they even have any physical pictures or photo albums to go through? Those iPhone pics might not still be viewable 10-20 years from now…

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back