Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done! I just emailed the Volunteer Club to see if they can create an "out of state" package for those of us that might be able to get to only 1 game a year, but want to support. Us Vols are everywhere and if there was an option for those with less access to live events, it might help. Stay tuned!

Keep us ex-pats posted!

Reactions: Outofmyvolcanmind
So you would have had GA, Mich, KSU, Utah, Clemson. We were more deserving than at least 3 of those. Who would you have given the other 3 spots to? And what do you mean by "legit argument"? The committee and media change their definitions ad hoc on the regular.
With that model, the 3 at-large would've been OSU, Bama, and TCU. Vols would get snubbed despite beating Bama and Clemson and would've easily beaten KSU, Utah, and TCU.

I think we are seeing increased parity now. Need 12 or 16. There'd be some walk-throughs for sure, but we'd also get to see schools like Tulane beat schools like USC sometimes.

March Madness started with just a dozen or so teams and gradually grew to what it is today. Basketball is a much different sport, but could you imagine if they'd stuck with the 1940s like 16-team bracket today? There'd be no Cinderellas. There'd be no chance for the little guy.

Every other level of football has a larger playoff. I'm with Mike Leach on that.

In fact - in honor of Mike Leach we should expand asap. Call it the Mike Leach College Football 16-Team Playoff 😂

I get that would be more accurate, which is why the CFP committee waits 8 weeks (and that's all that matters anyway) but the AP/coaches are just for fans and wild speculation. Also gives some barometer of which games are big games for the normies.

It'll be cool rolling into our opening games next year top 20/15 too...most importantly 😁

Get your point. The problem that I see is the play-off committee will never make say a team ranked 10 ranked 4 because those polls influence their decision as well. I know that situation is very unlikely but possible. In the end though if ya win in the SEC you'll be in. Problem is it's light years ahead of other conferences. Does Clemson have the NCs that they have if they play an SEC schedule?

Your talking about one of my all time biggest sports hates...It does not and never has made a lick of sense to me why major CFB does not have an expanded playoff system like every other level of football... I hate it now and I have ALWAYS hated the way that championships are played for and won at the highest level...it is f'n stupid and ALWAYS has been.

I think every single argument against it is stupid....that doesn't mean I think people making them are stupid, just that I wholeheartedly believe the arguments have zero merit.

Sorry...not sorry....I am just thankful that finally, after all these years, that we will get a real playoff system. I was never happy with the 4 team playoff...they should have started with 8.

Love ya...hate the argument.
I hear ya and love ya too man. I like the expanded playoff provided they do put some thought into the student athletes and not just the $. I also hate the auto seeding for the top 4 conference champs. BUT.... it's better than what is there now.

Expand to 16. Eliminate conference championship games and set rivals. Pick the top 16 based on the old BCS model. Stack em' Play em'. Provide computer bias for recruiting talent composites so everyone knows that the SEC should be given the benefit of the doubt. I think if there was a top 16 that 5-7 SEC teams should always be in it along with 2-3 BIG, 1-2 PAC, 1-2 ACC, 1 Big 12 and 2-3 at large. Put it in a pot, stir it up and let's see what happens.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
As long as we have to play both Alabama and UGA and neither of them has to play each other every season...both will always have a huge advantage on us.

We have a harder road to either a SEC or National Cjampionship than any other team in CFB...it makes it nigh impossible....even if you beat them both in season, you will have to beat one or both again to win a title even with the expanded playoffs.

I hate this crap.
Once Texas and OU join the SEC we won't play UGA yearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back