Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rick is a solid ball coach. You’re getting what you get from him. A solid program. Just falls short at times. I hope the Baseball team can break the cycle. I have high confidence in Vitello.
I will take this until he retires. He's building a quality brand in basketball. We're getting 1-and-dones annually. Our floor is so much higher than it was when he got here. We've got a generation of young talent with their eye on Knoxville as a possible destination. What Rick is doing is more important to Tennessee basketball than the number of SEC titles he wins or Finals Fours or Sweet 16s or whatever.

The amount of talent that's come through that program since he got here is insane. Obviously recruiting rankings aren't the end-all, but I remember how exciting it was when we got Jarnell Stokes. Jonas Aidoo has a higher ranking than Stokes did. Rick has landed 6 of the top 10 all-time recruits in UT history and we've been in the final 2 or 3 for several insanely talented guys like Banchero.

So, I'm not going to overreact to 1 loss to Kentucky and I'm not going to foolishly clamor for Barnes to be fired, like some do, when things don't go our way.

We have to find somebody that can attack downhill consistently, teams that win in March do that.
ZZ is about all we have to drive the ball,he just missed the bunnies today. And in foul trouble didn't help the offense or defense. Happens got to do better. We'll get um at rupp .

Ironically, everyone is praising Uros, rightfully so for the offense, and complaining about rebounding, also rightfully so, but those two go hand in hand. We had to play him for offense but how many boards did our 7’1” center have? I think it was less than 5. Aidoo and Awaka can both board better but they couldn’t take Uros out because of his scoring today. I also think Zeigler was great driving the ball but, he and the rest of the team, struggle at the rim because we have small and/or un-athletic guards which causes them to be tight when laying the ball up. Either rushing or manipulating the spin even when it isn’t necessary will cause unexplainable misses versus athletic guards that just trust that they’re not getting blocked and attack.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Ironically, everyone is praising Uros, rightfully so for the offense, and complaining about rebounding, also rightfully so, but those two go hand in hand. We had to play him for offense but how many boards did our 7’1” center have? I think it was less than 5. Aidoo and Awaka can both board better but they couldn’t take Uros out because of his scoring today. I also think Zeigler was great driving the ball but, he and the rest of the team, struggle at the rim because we have small and/or un-athletic guards which causes them to be tight when laying the ball up. Either rushing or manipulating the spin even when it isn’t necessary will cause unexplainable misses versus athletic guards that just trust that they’re not getting blocked and attack.
Which is why Barnes has to to get Phillips more involved, hes way more athletic and can finish above the rim. Its a lot easier to finish when you can go over blockers.

Reactions: drvenner
Coach didn’t miss any open layups.
He didn’t, but he coaches and recruited the team that did miss those layups. That wasn’t my point anyway. I was just saying the obvious that happens every year. You know what you’re getting. Which is a solid program that falls short which is fine. Raises the profile over time. The next guy White Hires will certainly be a higher caliber than what White would’ve been able to get if Tennessee was hiring one 8 years ago. That’s thanks to the success with Rick. That doesn’t go unappreciated. But you know what your limits are.

He didn’t, but he coaches and recruited the team that did miss those layups. That wasn’t my point anyway. I was just saying the obvious that happens every year. You know what you’re getting. Which is a solid program that falls short which is fine. Raises the profile over time. The next guy White Hires will certainly be a higher caliber than what White would’ve been able to get if Tennessee was hiring one 8 years ago. That’s thanks to the success with Rick. That doesn’t go unappreciated. But you know what your limits are.
In no way am I advocating for a firing. Have said that multiple times in the past. Just letting the mafia know before they come out with pitchforks

Yep…..we are who they thought we were.

You are so delusional sometimes.

Tennessee lost the game by not hitting EASY shots. Period. That's it. Move on.

Do something in March for once. Call me when the dance starts.
There was absolutely no way they were letting the Vols win that game. The free-throw disparity is all I need to see. Same in the Arizona game. They're not going to let KY miss the dance. I can't believe how naive you can be. It was a predetermined outcome.

Rick is a solid ball coach. You’re getting what you get from him. A solid program. Just falls short at times. I hope the Baseball team can break the cycle. I have high confidence in Vitello.
Who wants a solid men’s BBall program? I don’t.

Give me boom or bust. Just be sure to boom from time to time

Reactions: mr.checkerboards

boom or bust? What are you talking about? Tennessee basketball has been a top 15 to 20 program in college basketball since Pearl.

We are currently ranked 5th! Yeah big deal we had a bad loss to Kentucky

Currently competing for a title AGAIN under Barnes. Yes his teams struggle in the tourney, but boom or bust???

I think we’ll get there eventually. Danny White knows how to hire. He hired Oats. He’ll have a huge checkbook to hire the next guy and the program is already solid like I stated previously. Credit to Rick… but it makes the job a lot more attractive than it was previously. Tennessee is a better basketball job than many in here think. I would only put Kentucky better in the conference. Huge resources and great AD now. I think Tennessee is in good shape to snag a big name no one expects when that time comes. Again that’s thanks to Rick’s success here making that possible having a consistent program

Not gonna kill Uros for that. The guards and other forwards didn't exist on the backboard. At all.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back