Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

I guess The Oscars must be over. You're posting again. Are you gonna post a list of your best and worst outfits from the show?
2020 Season Preview: Los Angeles FC — American Soccer Analysis

Surprised Barbie didn't win best screenplay. Will have to watch American Fiction. Add in Past Lives and Anatomy of a Fall to ones I've missed so far. Used to get all the screeners from my sister who was in SAG, no I'm totally out of the loop. Solid year honestly, surprisingly.

Also...how crazy is it for Emma Stone? She's been in the 2 weirdest projects of the year - The Curse and Poor Things - both excellent - and she killed it in both roles. She does weird the right way.

Surprised Barbie didn't win best screenplay. Will have to watch American Fiction. Add in Past Lives and Anatomy of a Fall to ones I've missed so far. Used to get all the screeners from my sister who was in SAG, no I'm totally out of the loop. Solid year honestly, surprisingly.

Also...how crazy is it for Emma Stone? She's been in the 2 weirdest projects of the year - The Curse and Poor Things - both excellent - and she killed it in both roles. She does weird the right way.

I didnt think the Barbie screenplay was all that great. Should have won for production design though.

Reactions: Orange.
I didnt think the Barbie screenplay was all that great. Should have won for production design though.
I agree. For some reason, I kept being reminded of "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" while I was watching "Barbie," if you ever saw that old French film. I really did like the production design and looking at the colors. The opening was the best segment, iirc. That moment when she freezes at the mention of death was the highlight. But there may have been some other good things I don't remember. Like "Umbrellas," it was interesting to see but I can't imagine it being someone's favorite.

Last edited:
I'm relieved and happy that my original concern after I read that article bragging about the bedroom Gita scene in "Oppenheimer" that my worries turned out to be overwrought, @bignewt. I think you may have suggested that it would turn out not to be a big deal. We saw the film twice and I think it's one of the best movies I've seen. I'll probably watch it again one day.

As for that strange and beguiling Bhagavad Gita, I will add that the word kalā (translated as "death" in the famous line quoted in the bedroom scene) means both "time" and "death." World-destroying. That echoed for me later when one of physicians said to Oppie that didn't want three centuries of physics to culminate in a weapon. Also, this seems pertinent. The following line in the poem is: "Even without any action of yours, all these warriors who are arrayed in the opposing ranks shall cease to exist."

@Ulysees E. McGill - have you read Tim Keller?

I'm binging his sermons and books right now. Not sure why I thought of you while reading his books (Prodigal Prophet, King's Cross, and The Reason for God), but I did. Really powerful writing about a grace unearned by any and available to all.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
@Ulysees E. McGill - have you read Tim Keller?

I'm binging his sermons and books right now. Not sure why I thought of you while reading his books (Prodigal Prophet, King's Cross, and The Reason for God), but I did. Really powerful writing about a grace unearned by any and available to all.
No..but thanks...I will look him up.

Reactions: franklinpence
This is a random post but not at all strange. For some reason, young parents today are doubling down on trying to be their children's friends rather than being their parents. I don't know if that is the situation here, but I have a wife that teaches pre-school and a daughter in college to become a teacher. It makes me mad and frustrated that parents don't teach their children to behave and show proper respect to adults in authority positions. Please recommend to his parents that they correct his behavior before he gets to school so he is not the "jerk of a kid" that his teachers talk about when they get home and need to vent about their day.

IMG_5739.gif

lmao. I started the communist joke with Jack a long time ago. It has nothing to do with his actual politics. It's a rib. But you keep doing you and read something more insidious into it than is actually there. I think some of you have forgotten what it is to joke around with buds and instead just look for things to be offended by.
Because he is a dyed in the wool card carrying supporter of the lunatic liberals running this country into the ground...he hates Russia, but he is still a commie..he just doesn't know it..lol.
ladies, ladies...IMG_0118.gif

Reactions: knoxvol52

VN Store

Back