Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

I do not take the writer as speaking for God. Merely speaking to common truths of the human condition and offering suggestions for reflection. I respect all your ideas shared, but I wanted to clarify that element.
I hope you don’t take personal offense to any of my comments. I think civilized, open discussions can be helpful, but people usually take offense. I appreciate your kind response.

The fact she puts a statement from herself and then follows it with “says God”, or “I the Lord say”, is what bothers me.

I mean, I'm not religious so I'm just looking at it from an outside perspective. You take comfort in what you can, from where you can and its pretty clear people get a lot out of those daily posts and it brings DD joy and fulfillment to do them and help others. To denigrate them is, imo, misguided. Although, I respect others opinions on it from a Christian perspective.
I’m not “religious” either. Religion is of man, a personal relationship with Christ is what I seek.

Also, my intention is NEVER to denigrate DD, I think he has a great heart and good intentions.

Reactions: LoudOrange
Not really. Christ condemned the “religious” Pharisees.
Maybe pedantic was a better word because you knew what I meant. I'm not trying to debate about the linguistic characteristics of the English language here, I just think jumping DD for posting his daily devotional is a little wrong-headed. Jmo.

I’m hesitant to comment because Christians arguing in public isn’t a good look and is very seldom productive or helpful winning souls to Christ, so I’m trying to stay away from conversations like this, but….

I’ve stated before, the above bolded is the problem I have with this particular devotional. I think we have to be very careful with what we take in, vet the sources, use discernment. Does it look good on the surface? Yes, but so does the health, wealth, and prosperity preaching. Can be dangerous and misleading, because it is self-centered, which is probably the biggest problem humans have. Not an easy concept to grasp that we are to be Christ-centered and die daily to self. And not an easy thing to do, in practice.
The prosperity stuff has always confused me, considering Jesus was basically an ascetic.

If the goal is to be christlike, it seems counterintuitive. Not saying earning a living is bad at all ofc and it can even help to help others, but obsessing over it above all else or believing it will help you get that camel through the needle's eye is just wild for an actual follower of Jesus.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaagerVol
I’m not “religious” either. Religion is of man, a personal relationship with Christ is what I seek.

Also, my intention is NEVER to denigrate DD, I think he has a great heart and good intentions.
I'm a 'wavering' Christian. I've seen many fellow Christians acting in such 'unchristian' ways. But, I'll say that DDs post give me faith.

Maybe pedantic was a better word because you knew what I meant. I'm not trying to debate about the linguistic characteristics of the English language here, I just think jumping DD for posting his daily devotional is a little wrong-headed. Jmo.
I don’t necessarily disagree with your sentiments. I stated in my first post on the matter that I was hesitant to comment. I don’t think the OP was meant as an attack on DD per se, but an attack on teaching that place too much importance on self. I think it could have been worded better to reflect that.

Maybe a public forum isn’t the best place to discuss as things often get misconstrued or mistaken. It’s difficult enough to have these discussions in person without misunderstandings or someone taking offense.

There is a LOT of misinformation in the world coming from people like Joel Osteen, leading people down the wrong path. Not saying DD is leading anyone down the wrong path.

I'm a 'wavering' Christian. I've seen many fellow Christians acting in such 'unchristian' ways. But, I'll say that DDs post give me faith.
That’s why I was so hesitant to say anything. It comes across as “unChristian” even when the intention is pure.

My advice to you is don’t waver, and don’t put your faith in “people” or how they act. We are all flawed. God isn’t.

Read HIS word. Talk to him.

I send Ephesians 22 -24 to my wife every once in awhile. Especially 24

22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
LOL men got away with cherry picking those verses for quite a few centuries before women forced them to read the rest of the chapter 😂

I do not take the writer as speaking for God. Merely speaking to common truths of the human condition and offering suggestions for reflection. I respect all your ideas shared, but I wanted to clarify that element.
Also...

Happy Monday

August 12, 2024: Many of you, My people, are still nursing wounds from the past. And, I tell you honestly that those wounds are healing. It will not be long before you can put the pain behind you and rise up in health and strength physically, emotionally and mentally. You are entering a season of restoration. Isaiah 58:8 Then your light shall break forth like the morning, your healing shall spring forth speedily, and your righteousness shall go before you; the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.

She's literally writing these things as the voice of God with generic words of what is about to be happening in the lives of whomever is reading them, and then backing it up with Bible verse quotes that are often out of context. I'm not sure how you can read "My people" and not think she's making "thus sayeth the Lord" proclamations.

I'm not trying to be unkind, argumentative or needlessly critical. Scripture is replete with commands to test every prophetic claim against scripture. After His resurrection, He spent some considerable time with a couple of disciples explaining to them what the truth of scripture was (i.e. that it's all about Him), and their comfort in terrible loss came from knowing that--not three point messages telling them how to have their best lives possible, how to be better people, or even encouraging sounding Bible quotes that put all the emphasis on them and not Jesus.

For what it's worth, I believe standing for truth is a kindness.

Last edited:
I send Ephesians 22 -24 to my wife every once in awhile. Especially 24

22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
Do you send yourself the part about your responsibility in that arrangement? ;)

Same here. I have a lot of respect for DD, and the criticisms have not once been aimed at him, I don't think.

I never even read the text outside the scripture, tbh...the scripture is all that needs to be said, imo/belief. I appreciate you bringing them.

I mean, I'm not religious so I'm just looking at it from an outside perspective. You take comfort in what you can, from where you can and its pretty clear people get a lot out of those daily posts and it brings DD joy and fulfillment to do them and help others. To denigrate them is, imo, misguided. Although, I respect others opinions on it from a Christian perspective.
Let's test that.

If your kid was terribly thirsty and picked up a bottle of ant poison to drink, would you stop them and point them to water, or feel like you would be unkind to do so and instead just let them have the comfort of any old liquid to drink? Did you raise your kid to eat nothing but candy and sit around doing nothing but playing video games and sleeping? Or did you push them toward some vegetables and going to school?

Is it more kind to want people healthy, or comfortable?

I'm not trying to be unkind, argumentative or needlessly critical. Scripture is replete with commands to test every prophetic claim against scripture. After His resurrection, He spent some considerable time with a couple of disciples explaining to them what the truth of scripture was (i.e. that it's all about Him), and their comfort in terrible loss came from knowing that--not three point messages telling them how to have their best lives possible, how to be better people, or even encouraging sounding Bible quotes that put all the emphasis on them and not Jesus.

For what it's worth, I believe standing for truth is a kindness.
This is a big part of where the great disconnect is. Society wants to treat a relationship with God as a “what can he do for me” relationship, as if he were a spare tire to use when they get a flat. He is GOD.

Jesus never said “follow me and your life on earth will be grand and glorious and without trials”, he said “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me”

He promised us everlasting life, not wonderful earthly lives.

The prosperity stuff has always confused me, considering Jesus was basically an asctetic.

If the goal is to be christlike, it seems counterintuitive. Not saying earning a living is bad at all ofc and it can even help to help others, but obsessing over it above all else or believing it will help you get that camel through the needle's eye is just wild for an actual follower of Jesus.
God: Thou shalt not covet.
Also God (?): Learn these ways to make me give you everything you're coveting.

People can claim "Christianity" but fail to follow Christ. These people are not firmly anchored in truth and don't have a personal relationship. If they did, the fruit they produced would be evidence of that. Now there are some that have momentary lapses, as we all do, and we should offer them grace as it is freely offered to us from our Father. However, if a person is truly a follower of Christ, their life and the fruit thereof will evidence it. Don't let people that don't have personal relationships with Christ but claim to know Him damage your walk with Him.

Matthew 17:17-27
A good tree produces good fruit, and a bad tree produces bad fruit. A good tree can’t produce bad fruit, and a bad tree can’t produce good fruit. So every tree that does not produce good fruit is chopped down and thrown into the fire. Yes, just as you can identify a tree by its fruit, so you can identify people by their actions. “Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’ “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash.”

VN Store

Back