‘23 Recruiting Forum: Official Florida Pregame/Game Thread

tenor.gif

Article from the Tennessean:
Josh Heupel, Vols miffed by official kicking football in Tennessee-Florida game
*CJ- Mike Block kicked the ball

This pic was also from the article: A missed facemask call on the 2 pt attempt. 🤔😡 View attachment 580298
“A picture is worth a thousand words”
Maybe instead of bitchn about all the blatant “mistakes “ by what? 9 officials
Some tech savvy fans on here should put together pictures of each and every one and post all over the internet.

The clip on the blindside was great, but check out this screenshot. Notice he is directly between the defender and the ball carrier. Notice the defender is looking in our guy's earhole. Notice both our guy's feet are between his feet. Notice our guy is stepping in front to set a pick, not demolish an unsuspecting guy from outside his range of vision.

World class bad.

1695051649495.png

Last edited:
The clip on the blindside was great, but check out this screenshot. Notice he is directly between the defender and the ball carrier. Notice the defender is looking in our guy's earhole. Notice both our guy's feet are between his feet. Notice our guy is stepping in front to set a pick, not demolish an unsuspecting guy from outside his range of vision.

World class bad.

View attachment 580350
You're a perfect example of intentionally misleading people with a screen shot. It was definitely a block from the blindside. It was definitely not violent enough to warrant a flag. Worst blindside call you'll see all year.

But don't use still screens to mislead people. It was not a block that came from his field of vision.

Reactions: Orange.
Yea… it’s foolish to blame the loss on the refs but it’s also foolish to not at least admit they slowed down any chance of a comeback. The “kicked ball” but especially the blind side block killed us. I mean if you score a TD on just one of those drives and the final 10 minutes becomes veryyyyy interesting. The roughing the passer on herring was BS too, which would have made it 3rd and 10 and Florida wasn’t moving the ball at all and mertz was hurt and would have made him pass. That play resulted in Florida kicking a FG and taking another 5 minutes off the clock
Can any of you techno savy guys put a clip of the roughing call. If you do, could you also verify OR NOT if I heard him say the foul was for a hit to the head? Pretty sure I did, but I am old. Like to see if he said it and if we did it. THANXXXXXXX

You're a perfect example of intentionally misleading people with a screen shot. It was definitely a block from the blindside. It was definitely not violent enough to warrant a flag. Worst blindside call you'll see all year.

But don't use still screens to mislead people. It was not a block that came from his field of vision.
Really, did he actually execute a block or just get in the path and brace for contact? Surely you have the right to occupy any spot on the field.

That’s why it’s called an illegal crack back block. It’s a very vague penalty, but this meets the criteria according the my ref friend. This is what he sent me.

An illegal crackback block occurs when an offensive player comes from more than two yards outside the offensive tackle, or from the backfield, and makes contact below the waist, above the neck, from a blind side, or from behind.

OK here is the point of contact....... is it below the waist or above the neck? I see shoulder/elbow to breastplate.

1695053035740.png

If Joe had the right pocket presents to climb the pocket when pressure was there and then take off, he’d be so dangerous.

You look at him and know that he won’t and it just pisses you off.
Smiles after launching a ball 15 yards over someone’s head or throwing it into the dirt on a slant. It’s ridiculous

Really, did he actually execute a block or just get in the path and brace for contact? Surely you have the right to occupy any spot on the field.
No, he executed a block and the defender didn't see him coming, i.e. blindside. The block was not violent enough to warrant a flag is the issue here. You are allowed to blindside block, just not violently.

Can any of you techno savy guys put a clip of the roughing call. If you do, could you also verify OR NOT if I heard him say the foul was for a hit to the head? Pretty sure I did, but I am old. Like to see if he said it and if we did it. THANXXXXXXX
He did say it was a hit to the head.

That’s why it’s called an illegal crack back block. It’s a very vague penalty, but this meets the criteria according the my ref friend. This is what he sent me.

An illegal crackback block occurs when an offensive player comes from more than two yards outside the offensive tackle, or from the backfield, and makes contact below the waist, above the neck, from a blind side, or from behind.
2nd response..... from the rulebook.

Blind-Side BlockARTICLE 18.

No player shall deliver a blind-side block by attacking an opponent with forcible contact.

Getting in his path he did, no way what our blocker did could be called delivering fordible contact. Think that point was MADE by the TV guys as well. There is a limit on the bounds of judgement that officials get.

Backed up by a ruling in the book

On a sweep play in B89’s direction he moves to his left to focus on the ball carrier, losing sight of A81. A81 then cuts to the inside, takes aim and launches at B89, forcibly contacting him with his forearm to B89’s neck. RULING: Foul for blind-side block with targeting.

That play does not meet the forcible test PERIOD. In fact our guy was running at an angle slightly back upfield at time of contact, not at the defender at all.

I guess my question is what is he supposed to do, let the defender go? How can that block be made in the defenders field of view?

Not arguing with your point, we all agree it was an awful call, I just don’t know how our defender was supposed to make the block. It’s almost as if the official decided that the only way it isn’t a flag is to just let the defender make the tackle.

I got the video but I’m not really sure how to upload a video on here. You are correct he said he hit him in the head area (but he didn’t)

This is why it was a foul…

It is a foul if a player initiates a block when his path is toward or parallel to his own end line and makes forcible contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm, or shoulder.

While it may not appear to be forceful to some, he went after him with his shoulder/forearm. As I’ve said, it’s an extremely borderline call per the rules and I hate it. Some of the best hits I ever had playing were crack back blocks. But that is what the ref said caused the penalty, a forearm/shoulder strike to the upper body per my friend.

This is why it was a foul…

It is a foul if a player initiates a block when his path is toward or parallel to his own end line and makes forcible contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm, or shoulder.
Go troll somewhere else. You are so obvious. Always have been.

Reactions: InVOLuntary

VN Store

Back