Reparations, income handouts, guaranteed jobs: Dems tilt hard left

being a plumber is nowhere near as sexy as a Doctor of Gender Appreciation Studies.
They let you figure that out when you're an adult and have to call a plumber for the first time...

As a construction superintendent with zero college, I hear a lot of good posts from the conservatives here...who it seems are at least beginning to understand the crisis at hand with skilled trades. I have worked construction since part time at 15 YO...went full time at 17, I am 42 now. So 25 years straight of averaging well, well over 40 hours a week. Have never had 2 weeks vacation in a year. Technically i get it every year...for the ladt 10..but in reality, i take 1 week and get a check for the extra other weeks pay.

We are screwed. As posted here, most of the American skilled guys are older than me. There are very few 20 somethings. 95%...as in actually 19 out of 20 guys on my apartment complex jobs are latinos. The big bosses are American and thats it. All kids are going to college, and its very stupid.

It only takes 2000hrs apprenticeship under a certified plumber and passing the written test to become a licensed plumber in NC. Electrician is the same. Thats only 1 year worth of full time hours. They wont be a GOOD plumber or electrician, in a likelihood that would take 2 to 3 years, but they would be a licensed plumber. Same for welders and pipefitters. 2 or 3 years invested and can be very capable if serious about it

Yall know what kind of money a licensed pro at any of these can make after only 2 or 3 years? Here, no union. Right to work state just like Tenn....think 75,000 a year, with company truck furnished, company phone, company gas card, tools etc...give you a helper and cut you loose. Before these other kids like my son even get their 4 year degree.

What %of kids, even with a 4 year degree, do yall think make that straight outta school? Better be an engineering degree...and i mean nuclear, chemical, or electrical...with an internship having giving them experience. Most architects dont. At least here in Charlotte. I worked for 1 making 65k a year almost 10 years outta school. What other degrees make that money after 4 years of school? Very. Very few.

You can go to HVAC school at any community college for 6 months to a year and get certified. Should make about 50k a year...straight outta school. And there are so many jobs open for all of the skilled teades that you can just about pick 2hat company you want to work for. Demand is crazy, and prices for those trades, and wages, are goong up, up, up...call a plumber to your house, or an electrician. Youll find out.

I could make more money of i left my boss after 10 years. I make 100k a year with free truck phone CC 401k matches 3% etc...we have competition that pays more, but my boss has been my best friend since i was 15...we started put laboring for framers together for 6 bucks an hour in 1992. 6 bucks...before taxes. Ouch.

We are 1 generation away from having no skilled labor from here. There are skills in masonry and others that are actually dying out. I only know a couple of masons besides myself still around that can build a free standing chimney with a properly built fire box. High end carpenters that use biscuit joiners, planers, dadoes , jobsite millwork in hardwoods and exotic species of wood...these arts are dying. There is nobody to teach them to...seriously. skills are and will be permanently lost. Most amigos have no idea or even concept of these things, and I work with them every day. Those highly specialized skills do not exist where they came from....crisis time.

My son is wanting and planning to go to med school. He is in line for valedictorian and a 4 year ride for his undergrad. If that weren't the case...he would be coming to work with me. And making more money than 95% of his buddies that are goong to college to be starbucks barristas...which the price of these skills in construction is only gonna continue to go up,up, up...he would never get rich, unless he started his own business and got several crews working under him
He could make damn good money with just his 2 hands though, and raise a family no problem. Instead of graduating and living with me and his mom until he is 30 because the job market for grads is ****....

It's sort of like the right's reaction to Obama. Did they realize there was a desperate need for a moderate, someone who would appeal to the middle? Hell no, they went completely off the rails and picked the candidate they knew was most despised by the other side. The left is bitter, and angry, and sickened by the Trump fiasco. That doesn't draw people to the middle, it pushes them farther away. A more moderate democrat would be an easier win, but many would rather go as far left as possible while eking out a narrow win.

Personally, I will support the candidate I think most likely to beat Trump (if he is the republican nomination). I'm still holding out hope that the sane part of the right will wake the hell up.
Might as well hold out that hope because there is no sane part to wake the hell up on the left.

It's sort of like the right's reaction to Obama. Did they realize there was a desperate need for a moderate, someone who would appeal to the middle? Hell no, they went completely off the rails and picked the candidate they knew was most despised by the other side. The left is bitter, and angry, and sickened by the Trump fiasco. That doesn't draw people to the middle, it pushes them farther away. A more moderate democrat would be an easier win, but many would rather go as far left as possible while eking out a narrow win.

Personally, I will support the candidate I think most likely to beat Trump (if he is the republican nomination). I'm still holding out hope that the sane part of the right will wake the hell up.
Winning.

As a construction superintendent with zero college, I hear a lot of good posts from the conservatives here...who it seems are at least beginning to understand the crisis at hand with skilled trades. I have worked construction since part time at 15 YO...went full time at 17, I am 42 now. So 25 years straight of averaging well, well over 40 hours a week. Have never had 2 weeks vacation in a year. Technically i get it every year...for the ladt 10..but in reality, i take 1 week and get a check for the extra other weeks pay.

We are screwed. As posted here, most of the American skilled guys are older than me. There are very few 20 somethings. 95%...as in actually 19 out of 20 guys on my apartment complex jobs are latinos. The big bosses are American and thats it. All kids are going to college, and its very stupid.

It only takes 2000hrs apprenticeship under a certified plumber and passing the written test to become a licensed plumber in NC. Electrician is the same. Thats only 1 year worth of full time hours. They wont be a GOOD plumber or electrician, in a likelihood that would take 2 to 3 years, but they would be a licensed plumber. Same for welders and pipefitters. 2 or 3 years invested and can be very capable if serious about it

Yall know what kind of money a licensed pro at any of these can make after only 2 or 3 years? Here, no union. Right to work state just like Tenn....think 75,000 a year, with company truck furnished, company phone, company gas card, tools etc...give you a helper and cut you loose. Before these other kids like my son even get their 4 year degree.

What %of kids, even with a 4 year degree, do yall think make that straight outta school? Better be an engineering degree...and i mean nuclear, chemical, or electrical...with an internship having giving them experience. Most architects dont. At least here in Charlotte. I worked for 1 making 65k a year almost 10 years outta school. What other degrees make that money after 4 years of school? Very. Very few.

You can go to HVAC school at any community college for 6 months to a year and get certified. Should make about 50k a year...straight outta school. And there are so many jobs open for all of the skilled teades that you can just about pick 2hat company you want to work for. Demand is crazy, and prices for those trades, and wages, are goong up, up, up...call a plumber to your house, or an electrician. Youll find out.

I could make more money of i left my boss after 10 years. I make 100k a year with free truck phone CC 401k matches 3% etc...we have competition that pays more, but my boss has been my best friend since i was 15...we started put laboring for framers together for 6 bucks an hour in 1992. 6 bucks...before taxes. Ouch.

We are 1 generation away from having no skilled labor from here. There are skills in masonry and others that are actually dying out. I only know a couple of masons besides myself still around that can build a free standing chimney with a properly built fire box. High end carpenters that use biscuit joiners, planers, dadoes , jobsite millwork in hardwoods and exotic species of wood...these arts are dying. There is nobody to teach them to...seriously. skills are and will be permanently lost. Most amigos have no idea or even concept of these things, and I work with them every day. Those highly specialized skills do not exist where they came from....crisis time.

My son is wanting and planning to go to med school. He is in line for valedictorian and a 4 year ride for his undergrad. If that weren't the case...he would be coming to work with me. And making more money than 95% of his buddies that are goong to college to be starbucks barristas...which the price of these skills in construction is only gonna continue to go up,up, up...he would never get rich, unless he started his own business and got several crews working under him
He could make damn good money with just his 2 hands though, and raise a family no problem. Instead of graduating and living with me and his mom until he is 30 because the job market for grads is ****....
Until large manufacturing companies wake up and start recruiting HS's for good students that appear to have the ability to learn trades and help states invest in trade schools, nothing will change. There are no more trade schools, or there are a very few. Not like what there was even 15 years ago. Hell, large companies could offer HS training programs much the same way they do college co-ops and get these kids trained. However, there is one big problem with that......the Unions won't let them. Many big manufacturing companies are still unionized and there is no way that they would allow a HS kid to come in and train 4 hours a day without paying dues.

Last edited:
Reactions: AM64

All of this is probably true, and I have no issue with pushing my kid in this direction if it’s what he wants when he enters the job market in about a decade.

But on the flip side, it’s also true if the technical and “professional” fields too. I work for a large technical/engineering company and we can’t hire people fast enough. The aging work force and baby boomers retiring is creating a gap in the work force. We are trying to hire as fast as we can and the 30 and 40 somethings that are good are being trained to take over the senior level positions held by the guys in the 60’s now. I think the gap in the work force is prevalent across society as a whole.

The liberal art type stuff isn’t really useful at all. The options I’m pushing for my kid is learn a trade or go to school for something that has real utility and earning potential in the job market. If he gets a degree in art and is still living at home with college debt at 30 then I’ve failed as a parent.

We picked the candidate who could go to states like Michigan, PA and Wisconsin and win. 0% chance you loons pick a moderate, hell there isn't even a moderate running. There is a reason the front runners keep introducing radical bills and pushing radical ideas, they know what the base wants.

Reactions: AM64
We picked the candidate who could go to states like Michigan, PA and Wisconsin and win. 0% chance you loons pick a moderate, hell there isn't even a moderate running. There is a reason the front runners keep introducing radical bills and pushing radical ideas, they know what the base wants.
If Trump just runs as if he was going for the general election he could sway a lot of the undecided votes. If he does the same pandering they will stay where they are. but a lot of the undecided people are willing to trust the guy in charge already, but they don't want the nonsense that comes with the primary campaigns.

On reparations, I've never understood how anyone can justify penalizing a group of people (modern white people to be exact) who had nothing to do with slavery.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14 and AM64
Mr. Kiss Butt Democratic leader "Spartacus" Cory Booker has decided to push another waste-of-time idea.
So they are going to try and buy the black vote. Only problem is what about hispanic slaves and asian slaves? Also, if the Congress decides this isn't a good idea and votes it down, what are they going to do then? However, we could do this and make it so difficult to prove you are owed reparations that we could color it done with little cost.

On reparations, I've never understood how anyone can justify penalizing a group of people (modern white people to be exact) who had nothing to do with slavery.
You are not supposed to understand anything except that it helps assuage the enormous burden of white guilt the liberals have. Well, that and it helps draw the blacks out to vote.

Reactions: volfanjustin
whats even funnyer (more funny?) is that its also going to impact asians, latinos, other black and white people whose ancestors weren't even over here.

You are not supposed to understand anything except that it helps assuage the enormous burden of white guilt the liberals have. Well, that and it helps draw the blacks out to vote.
I can salve my white guilt.......make the program so hard to prove that no one could literally get them but a few older families that kept family bibles and such.

LOLOLOL

So they are going to try and buy the black vote. Only problem is what about hispanic slaves and asian slaves? Also, if the Congress decides this isn't a good idea and votes it down, what are they going to do then? However, we could do this and make it so difficult to prove you are owed reparations that we could color it done with little cost.

What about the "transported" ... that part of GA history forgotten ... seems like people were ripped away from families and loved ones? Of, course, there's the little problem of laying hands on the responsible people, but, well, that goes for slavery (as defined by libs), too. Of course, they also tend to ignore the fact that slavery was at the time a common practice, and that Americans weren't generally responsible for growing, cultivating, picking, and shipping the crop. And "indebted servitude"? Sorry, but I don't feel any guilt for something that happened well before my time.

How about reparations for people who lost virtually everything during the depression. There are plenty of victims to go around ... just pick a time. When the pro reparations group can prove that a current someone is worse off for having ancient ancestors brought to the US than living in Africa, they can get back to us and try to make a case ... until then Freak won't allow my sentiments to be posted.

Oh yeah, those slave descendants were grandfathered into citizenship ... guess they got a leg up on current asylum seekers ... and they might well have been an asylum seeker today considering all the people fleeing from third world countries.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

If people think race relations have deteriorated the last few years just wait and see what happens if this ever gets real.

I have never met anyone who is or was an African American slave and as soon as I do, I will be more than happy to have some money taken out my annual income to give to people who were slaves to help right some wrongs that neither me nor any of my Dutch, Scots/Irish ancestors had anything to do with.

Until that moment, not one F#cking Dime.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and AM64
It is foolish and amounts to nothing more than hush money. Reparations will do nothing to fix the failures in government, society, and the criminal justice system.

It is foolish and amounts to nothing more than hush money. Reparations will do nothing to fix the failures in government, society, and the criminal justice system.
It is good to know that the failures have been in government, society, and the criminal justice system. I know that the people and their culture share none of the blame.

VN Store

Back