Republican draft legislation to replace Obamacare leaked.

The problem is that you have to afford yours and someone elses

Not really. If you live within your means 90K for a family of 4 is enough. Don't spend like you make 150K if you only make 90. Simple math. Now if he said they made >50K I could understand.

Not really. If you live within your means 90K for a family of 4 is enough. Don't spend like you make 150K if you only make 90. Simple math. Now if he said they made >50K I could understand.

Didn't say you can't survive but you still don't want to be paying for someone else's sh$t

Reactions: 1 person
Didn't say you can't survive but you still don't want to be paying for someone else's sh$t

We are paying for other people regardless. We pay state and government officials' salaries. We pay for schools and roads. We pay for everything. I would rather we use some of my money to help someone less fortunate than another $100 toilet seat for the military.

We could just tax the wealthy fairly and stop all the tax loopholes, that cost the government billions in revenue, that conservatives love. That would lower the burden on normal working people and fund many programs.

Reactions: 3 people
Republicans will have a tough time with this. ACA was designed to get voters hooked on "free" healthcare, and when the exchanges inevitably imploded single payer would be the next step. You have millions who are takers, they think it's great. They're paying subsidized rates and racking up gigantic medical bills they couldn't otherwise afford. They can't see the cost to the country because in their small worldview the system works. They don't consider the mechanism for making their care "affordable". The people paying $10k for a $6,500 deductible plan are fewer. That's why you're going to have these vocal groups at town halls, the people who are making out simply outnumber those getting screwed directly. The rest is deficit spending that no one sees.

Here lies the problem. How do Republicans put forth a plan that helps the few that are getting screwed and also keeps the many who are covered covered??

The Republican Health Care bill is already losing support. Republican Study Committee Rep. Mark Walker said he can't vote for the GOP Draft Bill The bill just doesn't do what is needed to be done.

Attachments

• C5tRAWZWYAAjscK.jpg
    C5tRAWZWYAAjscK.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2
The republicans really screwed up by allowing this to leak. Everyone knows you have to pass bills before we can find out what's in them. That's how you get **** you want. That's how you get **** we really need.

We are rearranging the deck chairs if we don't push for HC pricing transparency and regulatory slack WRT non-doctor (e.g. NP, PA) care models.

In the insurance side moves towards more customer driven models (HSAs, etc.) could accelerate the move towards alternative care models and pricing transparency. Moving towards single payer exacerbates the problem.

Hopefully the GOP plan also reduces the "essential benefits" package that was required under ACA.

^ This

If you make 90K plus with two children and you can't afford healthcare you need to reexamine your budget instead of blaming "liberals". :thud:

Did you READ what I wrote? We have a completely mentally disabled child who needs constant care and we get no government help. She costs us on average $2k-3k a month. We have a tight budget. Now that The ACA costs us double it is a liberal joke. You want come to come see how we spend k-town kock then be my guest.

Reactions: 2 people
Plus, I have no problem paying for healthcare. Do you not think $1295 a month for a family of four is a bit high? Including a 9k deductible? K town you are like most liberals, neither hot nor cold but luke warm.

Last edited:
Here lies the problem. How do Republicans put forth a plan that helps the few that are getting screwed and also keeps the many who are covered covered??

The HSA option to me makes sense. You get a pot of money, spend it wisely. At the end of the day we simply can't save everyone. Nowhere in the constitution are you guaranteed long term care, dialysis, cancer treatments, etc. on someone else's dime.

Reactions: 2 people
The HSA option to me makes sense. You get a pot of money, spend it wisely. At the end of the day we simply can't save everyone. Nowhere in the constitution are you guaranteed long term care, dialysis, cancer treatments, etc. on someone else's dime.

Best thing is to open the market up to competition for healthy individuals. Elderly already qualify for Medicare and put the indigent on Medicaid. Liberals have no problem with abortion so I'm sure euthanasia for the remaining would fill their hearts with joy and compassion.

Plus, I have no problem paying for healthcare. Do you not think $1295 a month for a family of four is a bit high? Including a 9k deductible? K town you are like most liberals, neither hot nor cold but luke warm.

That's ridiculous!!! No reason anyone should pay that much to get healthcare.

That's ridiculous!!! No reason anyone should pay that much to get healthcare.

we have to pay that much to get the care for our daughter. Imagine the prescriptions, medical devices ( which are extremely high) and amount of dr visits a severely handicapped individual requires. The cost we pay to Vandy and therapy alone not only through direct billing but time off work etc. is a very difficult burden. Our income is not enough for us plan ahead and save. The ACA is crushing us. It's almost to the point where you want to quit and just plea to the government for all our needs and ride our daughters back to get our foot in the door for services. But **** that. I will continue to push and claw and fight and show my children that hard work and determination will make you a wolf and not a sheep.

We went to an HSA year before last. $4800 in premiums and $7600 in deductibles and out of pocket expenses before UHC kicks in a single dime. I'm out over $12K before any benefit outside of "negotiated pricing". And this is a "Gold" plan. Not great, but not terrible relative to all the rest. I think it works okay for those that can tax defer a big chunk of change into the HSA (profit sharing, bonuses, etc.) early and often and then continue to add to it. That's hard for a lot of people to do and one event can wipe out that HSA and the debt starts accumulating. I pretty much look at it as a catastrophic policy and hope I can keep my hands off the HSA and let it grow as an investment vehicle to use for medical expenses post retirement.

We went to an HSA year before last. $4800 in premiums and $7600 in deductibles and out of pocket expenses before UHC kicks in a single dime. I'm out over $12K before any benefit outside of "negotiated pricing". And this is a "Gold" plan. Not great, but not terrible relative to all the rest. I think it works okay for those that can tax defer a big chunk of change into the HSA (profit sharing, bonuses, etc.) early and often and then continue to add to it. That's hard for a lot of people to do and one event can wipe out that HSA and the debt starts accumulating. I pretty much look at it as a catastrophic policy and hope I can keep my hands off the HSA and let it grow as an investment vehicle to use for medical expenses post retirement.

I like it because it gives people skin in the game. You'll think twice about trotting off the ER for a tummyache if it's going to cost $600.
Maybe you actually research facilities for a procedure instead of walking into whichever one suits you. Lots of people overutilize medical care for things they should deal with at home. But that person has to be treated, and clogs up the system preventing those that actually need care from getting it. And you're asking PCP's or ER docs to visit diagnose and prescribe people in less than 10 minutes. Combine that with a doctor shortage and we have to do something to take the load off the system.

Ok...a lose, lose government scenario then. Both situations can only exist through taxation.

It's only a "lose, lose" scenario if you think all government funded jobs are worthless; and even if you feel that way, one is still a much bigger loss than the other.

VN Store

Back