Republicans Opposing Legal Immigration

I don't know how many are in favor of stopping all immigration, but there are more than there used to be.

This is not the conversation we are having here. We are proving that some/many Republicans do oppose and restrict legal forms of immigration. Nothing you are saying is refuting that.

It is stupid to argue that “some/many” of anybody numbering in tens of millions have an opinion on anything. Some/many will have every possible opinion. You’re just stirring up ****. Some/many Democrats oppose immigration as well.

My favorite is that everybody seems to forget refugees and asylum seekers are legally following the process, and so anytime you oppose them, you are opposing legal immigration.

What is the legal criteria for one to be able to seek “asylum”? And is this “legal immigration” made possible by an EO that bypassed Congress who is responsible for initiating changes to immigration legislation? I think you’re misconstruing people’s angst/concern for misguided EO’s, our govts continued abuse or ignoring of our immigration laws, the cities/municipalities/border control officers that struggle under the overwhelming number of immigrants rolling through our border and using it to say they’re just anti-immigrant.

My mistake. I shouldn't have said "nobody" because there is that one kooky guy you managed to scrounge up. I should have said "practically nobody" instead. Congratulations on your complete and total pownage.

You are right that you shouldn't have said 'nobody' and you are basically making the same error again. Trump reduced legal immigration and the MAGA heads loved it. Sometimes I think you really are out for the truth and then other times you completely disappoint.

We have anti-immigration deniers all over VN (and the Republican party). I've heard it many, many times. "All Republicans support immigration. They only oppose illegal immigration." Which is demonstrably false. This thread is all about proving that. I don't care to debate the merits of immigration here, tho I'm sure that will happen. I'm just gonna have this thread as a reference guide for the deniers. Example:

View attachment 495294

So whenever somebody says something like:

I'm going to point them to this thread.

We call this “nut picking”.

You are right that you shouldn't have said 'nobody' and you are basically making the same error again. Trump reduced legal immigration and the MAGA heads loved it. Sometimes I think you really are out for the truth and then other times you completely disappoint.
I might be incorrect, but I seem to remember Trump reducing legal immigration to those that were coming to this country to get free handouts instead of contributing positively to society. We absolutely should be more strict in who we allow in, not allowing places like Cuba to flush their toilets into the streets of America.

We have anti-immigration deniers all over VN (and the Republican party). I've heard it many, many times. "All Republicans support immigration. They only oppose illegal immigration." Which is demonstrably false. This thread is all about proving that. I don't care to debate the merits of immigration here, tho I'm sure that will happen. I'm just gonna have this thread as a reference guide for the deniers. Example:

View attachment 495294

So whenever somebody says something like:

I'm going to point them to this thread.

I think we've had enough illegal immigration to do the United States for legal immigration for the next 20 years. So yeah there's been enough.

What is the legal criteria for one to be able to seek “asylum”? And is this “legal immigration” made possible by an EO that bypassed Congress who is responsible for initiating changes to immigration legislation? I think you’re misconstruing people’s angst/concern for misguided EO’s, our govts continued abuse or ignoring of our immigration laws, the cities/municipalities/border control officers that struggle under the overwhelming number of immigrants rolling through our border and using it to say they’re just anti-immigrant.

I believe anybody can seek asylum, and the present system determines whether or not they attain it.

Trump's admin opposed travel visas, for hell's sake. This is not just about what's going on at the border right now. This is about how it's been across the board for a while. Trump reduced the influx of relatives of legal immigrants by 50%.

In fiscal year (FY) 2020, slightly more than 707,000 immigrants became lawful permanent residents (LPRs, also known as green-card holders), the lowest it had been since 2003, which is a 40% decline from 2016.

Frequently Requested Statistics on Immigrants and Immigration in the United States

I don't know how many are in favor of stopping all immigration, but there are more than there used to be.

I don't think there are very many for stopping all immigration, and that is not the point of the thread. The point of the thread is that many/most are for reducing legal immigration.

@SamRebel35 add him to the list.

Dawg, you were posting about limiting legal immigration in a thread specifically about illegal immigration. You had to start your own damn thread about legal immigration so that you could find two whole examples of people who are against legal immigration. This is not the victory you think it is.

I don't think there are very many for stopping all immigration, and that is not the point of the thread. The point of the thread is that many/most are for reducing legal immigration.

It's all just theoretical bs until illegal immigration is dealt with. Nobody seriously gives a sh*t about legal immigration right now because the FLOOD of undocumented people coming in every second of every day. Being for or against legal immigration is of absolutely zero consequence right now.

Reactions: AM64
Immigration was a wonderful thing. It helped build this country. People came from all over the world to realize their dreams of freedom and opportunity. Those immigrants were not promised anything other than an opportunity. Remember, "gives us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses"? Once the welfare state started, immigration has become more of an international welfare program where the citizens of the US pay for everyone else's poor and downtrodden-if they can get here or already have a relative here. The system is broken and no politicians will make the hard choices required to fix it or any of our other problems.

Dawg, you were posting about limiting legal immigration in a thread specifically about illegal immigration. You had to start your own damn thread about legal immigration so that you could find two whole examples of people who are against legal immigration. This is not the victory you think it is.

IDK what you're talking about at this point. The Desantis thread is not a thread about illegal immigration. It's a thread about Desantis, and the context of the discussion was about asylum seekers (who are not illegal), and even if the context was illegal immigrants, my post that you responded to was clearly about all immigrants and you clearly were talking about legal immigrants when you said what I quoted ITT. That's 3 strikes, bro. So disengenous.

I believe anybody can seek asylum, and the present system determines whether or not they attain it.

According to US law, this is the criteria for seeking asylum. I would say most of the migrants that have shown up at the border would not qualify, but I can’t say for sure without understanding case law or the generally agreed to intent. Most likely just looking for a better life and economic opportunity which I can certainly understand. I’m all for it, but without overwhelming our system to be able to process.

77E97E93-E37F-4993-A4CC-4DC2245CFA88.jpeg

Trump's admin opposed travel visas, for hell's sake. This is not just about what's going on at the border right now. This is about how it's been across the board for a while. Trump reduced the influx of relatives of legal immigrants by 50%.

In fiscal year (FY) 2020, slightly more than 707,000 immigrants became lawful permanent residents (LPRs, also known as green-card holders), the lowest it had been since 2003, which is a 40% decline from 2016.

Wouldn’t you think this had a lot to do with Covid 19 restrictions and policy change in 2020? I’m asking because I don’t know, but would seem likely.

Frequently Requested Statistics on Immigrants and Immigration in the United States

Reactions: Rickyvol77 and AM64
Wouldn’t you think this had a lot to do with Covid 19 restrictions and policy change in 2020? I’m asking because I don’t know, but would seem likely.

This is the number of people already here getting permanent residence granted. It's not about people getting allowed into the country. Also, the number was down 20% before Covid.

Should current citizens of a State have any say on immigration policy and rate?
When the Federal government refuses to enforce the laws of protection for a constituional republic, the State has every right to implement it's own immigration policy.

It's all just theoretical bs until illegal immigration is dealt with. Nobody seriously gives a sh*t about legal immigration right now because the FLOOD of undocumented people coming in every second of every day. Being for or against legal immigration is of absolutely zero consequence right now.

In that case, it's always going to be theoretical BS because illegal immigration will never be dealt with in a satisfactory manner....and that's because (1) the best way to combat illegal immigration is to open up legal immigration substantially, which almost nobody is interested in, especially among the people most concerned with fixing illegal immigration. (2) harsh solutions that may theoretically work are not palatable, and fly in the face of what America is all about.

We have captured (inconvenienced) and released free into our country OVER 2 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS this year alone...those are just the 2 million that we KNOW ABOUT.

ANYONE who argues that this policy is OK...that it will not bring this country to RUIN...that we should not secure our borders like EVERY OTHER freaking 1st world country is an idiot....with zero exceptions...and their opinion on this matter is forfeit.

They should not be allowed to discuss this with the responsible adults who are sane. Not surprisingly, many of the clowns who feel this way also think its OK for children to have sex change operations, cocaine and heroin should be legal and easily purchased, its perfectly normal to be gay, trans, pedophile etc....

We used to have institutions for folks whose elevator didnt go to the top floor where they could get help...or at least not poison the minds of others with their nonsensical ramblings. We used to actually have SHAME...and if you did or said any of this garbage, people would mock and shun you...ridicule the ridiculous...as it should be.

Now the inmates think they are running the asylum...when will responsible adults seize control again and put an end to the madness? Poland, Norway, Italy, hell even England to an extent have awakened from their slumber of shtupid. They have elected conservatives with morals and a little common sense.

How is this even a discussion?

Why would adults even have to debate whether or not we should secure the borders to our country and stop millions if illegal aliens from walking in each year????

This is like discussing whether or not you should be a Bama fan, or have sex with your sister....which is clearly redundant....but seriously???

This is something that needs to be debated? GTFO with that nonsense.

VN Store

Back