Republicans Opposing Legal Immigration

We have anti-immigration deniers all over VN (and the Republican party). I've heard it many, many times. "All Republicans support immigration. They only oppose illegal immigration." Which is demonstrably false. This thread is all about proving that. I don't care to debate the merits of immigration here, tho I'm sure that will happen. I'm just gonna have this thread as a reference guide for the deniers. Example:

View attachment 495294

So whenever somebody says something like:

I'm going to point them to this thread.

I agree, we need a moratorium on all immigration until we can get it fixed. It's stupidity trying to imply that opposing immigration is bad. Only a DIMorat thinks like that

Reactions: AM64
We have anti-immigration deniers all over VN (and the Republican party). I've heard it many, many times. "All Republicans support immigration. They only oppose illegal immigration." Which is demonstrably false. This thread is all about proving that. I don't care to debate the merits of immigration here, tho I'm sure that will happen. I'm just gonna have this thread as a reference guide for the deniers. Example:

View attachment 495294

Maybe they oppose the current immigration laws, which are obviously broken since they never seemed to be enforced. The entire process needs to be overhauled with clear laws and clear consequences for breaking those laws.

View attachment 495294

Agree with Sabatini. We already have too many worthless lazy moochers.

In that case, it's always going to be theoretical BS because illegal immigration will never be dealt with in a satisfactory manner....and that's because (1) the best way to combat illegal immigration is to open up legal immigration substantially, which almost nobody is interested in, especially among the people most concerned with fixing illegal immigration. (2) harsh solutions that may theoretically work are not palatable, and fly in the face of what America is all about.
What do you believe would work, but is simply unpalatable to Americans?

What do you believe would work, but is simply unpalatable to Americans?

IDK where the line is, but if we shot people on sight for illegally immigrating or hiring or helping immigrants, that would probably take care of the problem, but that's not palatable. There are less extreme measures that might work but also wouldn't be palatable. I mean, can we go harsher than where we already are? However you feel about the current system, I don't think it's politically possible to go much harsher. It's not popular enough.

I'm not interested in harsh solutions. It's supposed to be a free country.

Last edited:
Reactions: 85SugarVol
Of course not, borders should be free and open to all.

Absolutely (and fully recognizing and expounding on your sarcasm), we should never place limits on anybody. No country clubs, no tickets for Neyland (free for all), no licenses - anybody can be a medical doctor or doctor of economics (or whatever) without all the unnecessary preliminaries, ... . A land without, borders, rules, restrictions, licenses, property rights, etc; the libertarian paradise ... until somebody realizes that not all people are born with integrity, intelligence, and all the other traits of civility that when lacking turn a libertarian paradise to anarchy and a dangerous place to live. Huff's rules on governance rank right up there with communist thoughts on an economy - looney tunes.

Left out "when lacking"

Last edited:
Reactions: hog88
IDK where the line is, but if we shot people on sight for illegally immigrating or hiring or helping immigrants, that would probably take care of the problem, but that's not palatable. There are less extreme measures that might work but also wouldn't be palatable. I mean, can we go harsher than where we already are? However you feel about the current system, I don't think it's politically possible to go much harsher. It's not popular enough.

I’m not in favor of overly harsh either.

I am for more legal immigration. We should be throwing the doors open for Eastern Europeans, SouthEast Asians, Africans, and yes Central Americans.

Anyone currently living under the boot of oppression.

Donald Trump was dead wrong when called for increased immigration of rich white people from the largest welfare states on Earth - don’t need any more of those.

It's all just theoretical bs until illegal immigration is dealt with. Nobody seriously gives a sh*t about legal immigration right now because the FLOOD of undocumented people coming in every second of every day. Being for or against legal immigration is of absolutely zero consequence right now.

It's almost a necessity to shut all immigration down - especially the part dealing with asylum - until the government can show competency in managing the immigration system, and that's looking like a lost cause or complete lack of institutional control. We've got laws, and the enforcers aren't enforcing them (not talking about the overwhelmed guys stuck on the borders either). Asylum isn't for "Hey, you guys built a better country, and we like yours better." The asylum seekers should be more dedicated to fixing their own problems than invading a land that offers them more.

Reactions: davethevol

You aren’t in favor of aborting illegals as soon as they set foot across the border?

Maybe they oppose the current immigration laws, which are obviously broken since they never seemed to be enforced. The entire process needs to be overhauled with clear laws and clear consequences for breaking those laws.

As long as we recognize that the real "broken" part of immigration law is the enforcement part rather than the statutory part. Maybe the law does need to be revised, but revision is nonsensical until there is a real attempt to enforce existing law. This is like setting rules for a tyrannical toddler, not enforcing them, and then deciding the process didn't work. One big step would be refusing citizenship just because somebody is born here - that attracts illegals. Common sense would say that the child of someone here illegally shouldn't receive US citizenship - that's deriving gain from an illegal act.

Reactions: EasternVol
This is not the conversation we are having here. We are proving that some/many Republicans do oppose and restrict legal forms of immigration. Nothing you are saying is refuting that.

What is specifically wrong with restricting immigration? Is this not at the discretion of the nation said illegal immigrants are piling into?

What is specifically wrong with restricting immigration? Is this not at the discretion of the nation said illegal immigrants are piling into?

Leftists want to confiscate EVERYBODY’s guns when an extreme tiny minority of people go off kilter and commit statistically insignificant numbers of high profile murders. While dictators have killed millions and millions not protected by their own versions of the 2A.

So you wouldn’t think they’d have an issue with pausing the flow until issues are addressed. They are just pushing a fake narrative that Republicans are a bunch of racists.

My favorite is that everybody seems to forget refugees and asylum seekers are legally following the process, and so anytime you oppose them, you are opposing legal immigration.

End the asylum laws. Only in rare cases does someone get asylum and you need special permission to do so. Border state governors, members of congress, and the president should be allowed a limited amount of grants per year....maybe 25 each per year. Refugees should be housed in a zone only temporarily. A zone that is not deemed U.S. soil so they can't crap out a bunch of kids and get to stay. Limit of 1 year stay. Legal immigrants should have to prove that they can 100 percent sustain themselves without any assistance from state, federal, or local governments. If you are poor and will be a burden to the taxpayer then we don't want you here.

End the asylum laws. Only in rare cases does someone get asylum and you need special permission to do so. Border state governors, members of congress, and the president should be allowed a limited amount of grants per year....maybe 25 each per year. Refugees should be housed in a zone only temporarily. A zone that is not deemed U.S. soil so they can't crap out a bunch of kids and get to stay. Limit of 1 year stay. Legal immigrants should have to prove that they can 100 percent sustain themselves without any assistance from state, federal, or local governments. If you are poor and will be a burden to the taxpayer then we don't want you here.

Thank you for your service.

And for fact-checking purposes

1664400839953.png

It's almost a necessity to shut all immigration down - especially the part dealing with asylum - until the government can show competency in managing the immigration system, and that's looking like a lost cause or complete lack of institutional control. We've got laws, and the enforcers aren't enforcing them (not talking about the overwhelmed guys stuck on the borders either). Asylum isn't for "Hey, you guys built a better country, and we like yours better." The asylum seekers should be more dedicated to fixing their own problems than invading a land that offers them more.

You getting all this @SamRebel35

And for fact-checking purposes

View attachment 495374

What I am saying is that there should be severe limitations on how many are even allowed to apply for asylum. We don't need a bunch of losers here, even temporarily. Allowing millions of asylum seekers onto our soil to roam is stupid and destructive.

I believe anybody can seek asylum, and the present system determines whether or not they attain it.

Trump's admin opposed travel visas, for hell's sake. This is not just about what's going on at the border right now. This is about how it's been across the board for a while. Trump reduced the influx of relatives of legal immigrants by 50%.

In fiscal year (FY) 2020, slightly more than 707,000 immigrants became lawful permanent residents (LPRs, also known as green-card holders), the lowest it had been since 2003, which is a 40% decline from 2016.

Frequently Requested Statistics on Immigrants and Immigration in the United States
Wasn’t 2020 when the pandemic was declared?

VN Store

Back