Rest In Peace

Yeah Billy Powell the pianist died in 2009. Artimus Pyle is still living but he was not the original drummer. Bob Burns was the original drummer. He died in 2015.
Artimus's son Chris went to Hillsboro HS in Nashville. I did not go there but we had some mutual friends so we were acquaintances. He has some cool stories about some place in Jacksonville where the band had a sort of 'home base'. I don't think it was the Hell House. He made it sound like the Bat Cave. I always wanted to go see it.

Reactions: Toucan Sam
Artimus's son Chris went to Hillsboro HS in Nashville. I did not go there but we had some mutual friends so we were acquaintances. He has some cool stories about some place in Jacksonville where the band had a sort of 'home base'. I don't think it was the Hell House. He made it sound like the Bat Cave. I always wanted to go see it.
That is awesome. Artimus is one of the three that went to get help after the plane crashed. He wound up at Johnny Mote's house in Gillsburg, MS. Mr. Mote thought they were escapees from a local prison. I think Artimus helped save some lives that night. He has several interviews on YouTube about it. It's very interesting to listen to.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Yeah Billy Powell the pianist died in 2009. Artimus Pyle is still living but he was not the original drummer. Bob Burns was the original drummer. He died in 2015.
The sad thing is the band after the crash kind of fell out with one another and disagreed about what happened after the crash, Artimus said that he ran through the woods
to get help with his rib hangning out or something to that effect, anyway I saw all of that on VH-1 behind the music but after living through a crash its sad that they
fell out, and one of them just kept living a rough life style, had a car wreck, was in a wheel chair etc.

Last edited:
The sad thing is the band after the crash kind of fell out with one another and disagreed about what happened after the crash, Artimus said that he ran through the woods
to get help with his rib hangning out or something to that effect, anyway I saw all of that on VH-1 behind the music but after living through a crash its sad that they
fell out, and one of them just kept living a rough life style, had a car wreck, was in a wheel chair etc.

Things just weren't the same in 1987 when Johnny Van Zant started the band back up. To me the real Lynyrd Skynyrd died in Gillsburg Mississippi on October 20, 1977. They should have never been on a plane like that to begin with. The plane was 30 years old and had prior issues. Aerosmith turned down the plane before Lynyrd Skynyrd got it. Had Aerosmith got it then history may have been changed.

Things just weren't the same in 1987 when Johnny Van Zant started the band back up. To me the real Lynyrd Skynyrd died in Gillsburg Mississippi on October 20, 1977. They should have never been on a plane like that to begin with. The plane was 30 years old and had prior issues. Aerosmith turned down the plane before Lynyrd Skynyrd got it. Had Aerosmith got it then history may have been changed.
And the real sad thing is that they ran out of gas, and that is just really sad 😔

And the real sad thing is that they ran out of gas, and that is just really sad 😔
Sure is. They may have made it to Baton Rouge had they manually checked the tanks in Greenville. The gauges weren't properly working. Of course the engines were using a lot more fuel than normal because they were malfunctioning. They had discussed getting a Learjet after Baton Rouge but of course they never made it. I think Ronnie made some of them fly on the Convair even though they didn't want to. Ronnie pretty much called all of the shots.

Reactions: Vjcvette
Sure is. They may have made it to Baton Rouge had they manually checked the tanks in Greenville. The gauges weren't properly working. Of course the engines were using a lot more fuel than normal because they were malfunctioning. They had discussed getting a Learjet after Baton Rouge but of course they never made it. I think Ronnie made some of them fly on the Convair even though they didn't want to. Ronnie pretty much called all of the shots.

I thought that the pilot panicked and dumped all of the remaining fuel while he was attempting to switch tanks as the first one had run out.

There are conflicting reports about that. I'm just going by what Artimus Pyle said in his interview online. We may never know the whole story unfortunately.

Artimus seems pretty nutty. His account and Billy Powell’s were very different. I think that Artimus claimed that he had broken ribs breaking his skin and that the farmer shot at him.

Reactions: Vjcvette
I think the NTSB report said that mechanical issue with one engine caused an increased fuel burn and when pilots tried to transfer, they either set it up for the wrong direction or there was a leak that led to fuel exhaustion.

VN Store

Back