Rumblings that Pruitt will stay if changes made in offensive side

Yes they are stuck in the mud and the offense is very slow to develop. Put our offense side by side with another 2-4 SEC team and tell me that they don't look slow. The stats don't lie, especially the second half stats. I am tired of hearing about it being Butch's player's fault. Good coaches find a way to adjust, to attack, to put their players in a position to make plays. This offense leaves a lot to be desired. Yeah JG sucks, but there is no innovation with this offense. It's the same results each time. Chaney doesn't have a good QB, so find a way to move the ball down the field.

I will give you an example of what he is missing that is clearly there for the taking. On 2nd and 5,6, or 7 yards to go, Chaney will typically send the receiver in motion. I have noticed that no one is honoring this receiver. The reason that I notice this is because my Chiefs, other NFL teams, even Clemson run a jet sweep pass to make the defense honor that motion receiver. Here is a 9 second clip of the jet sweep pass. This is there all day and doesn't take a top tier QB to execute. I know you can't run this all day, but this is an example of being innovative, identifying where the defense is lacking position, and attacking. I do not see (1) innovation; (2) adjustments to the defense; (3) attack in a Jim Chaney offense. I see the same plays that do not work. JG throwing a wing and a prayer downfield hoping someone will catch it. Last year JJ, Calloway, and Palmer would bail him out. That is not there this year.

I guarantee our offense could not execute that jet sweep without fumbling the ball. That play also require your outside linemen to be able to block, which ours are not able to do. That play would be blown up by a good SEC defense if we ran it.

Again, I have seen Chaney run his offense with players that can actually play football. The problem isn't him. "Chaney doesn't have a good QB, so find a way to move the ball down the field." That's laughable. Truly laughable. Our offense is vanilla because vanilla is all they are capable of executing without HUGE mental mistakes.

At the beginning of this year you saw a more wide open offense and you saw with your own eyes what JG did if you let him have too long of a leash.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
will get a chance to stay for year 4 if he changes his offensive staff. Lets review

Year 1.....he puts his staff together with Tyson Helton as OC........they dont get along so he encourages him to hit the road.
Year 2 and 3.....brings Cheney in and most would say that Gitmo handcuffs the offense but they are a dumpster fire.
Year 4......insert whomever he convinces to come to this sinking ship and we will have a 4th year head coach installing a new offense once again with no quarterback?

Why is this a good idea?

@northknoxvol - where did these rumblings come from?

Just to clarify what UT is doing, if the OP is true

1. They're going to fire some assistants which will cost UT some money ( Granted some will have their contracts expire and cost UT nothing ) but we'll say 2 Million here.
2. UT is then going to bring in some new assistants and all will probably want 3 year deals. We'll say 5 new assistants, so we will say 10 Million in buyouts
3. Then this team is going to have to learn a new offense and possibly a new defense in 8 months.
4. When this plan falls short and Pruitt is fired along with all these assistants this whole thing is going to cost UT around 22 Million in buyouts plus the cost of a new staff from the half off sale at coaches r us that will inevitably get huge contracts with huge buyouts that we will fire in 3-4 years.

Maybe the OP is true because this is totally UT, we make more people rich than reality TV..........................

The problem is whoever is insisting that JG continue to start and not developing or recruiting another QB in the last couple of years.

I don't know who it is, but that is who needs to go and my top 3 suspects would be Pruitt, Weinke or Cheney.
I think Harrison Bailey is a quarterback, no? And Salter for the current commits. That is recruiting excellent quarterbacks, IMO.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
OMG this is laughable. People come up with the craziest ideas because they cannot deal with reality.
Pruitt has been telling the truth the whole time. Tennessee has ZERO QBs that can win games now. JG is clearly the best among them and he is terrible. People think HB will lead them to the promised land with ZERO proof of this other than his star ranking coming out of high school.

Pruitt already stated that he didn't want to throw HB to the wolves as a freshman because he claims this is what Butch Jones did to JG and that's why JG is mentally f*@ed in the head.

All the truth is out there but people just dont want to listen but rather believe in crazy theories. The real issue is this coaching staff has done ZERO to develop any of these players or these players are just flat out terrible.
JG never started as a true Freshman

Just to clarify what UT is doing, if the OP is true

1. They're going to fire some assistants which will cost UT some money ( Granted some will have their contracts expire and cost UT nothing ) but we'll say 2 Million here.
2. UT is then going to bring in some new assistants and all will probably want 3 year deals. We'll say 5 new assistants, so we will say 10 Million in buyouts
3. Then this team is going to have to learn a new offense and possibly a new defense in 8 months.
4. When this plan falls short and Pruitt is fired along with all these assistants this whole thing is going to cost UT around 22 Million in buyouts plus the cost of a new staff from the half off sale at coaches r us that will inevitably get huge contracts with huge buyouts that we will fire in 3-4 years.

Maybe the OP is true because this is totally UT, we make more people rich than reality TV..........................

It's the UT way of doing business.

I am just throwing this out here bc I have read it on here and heard from people outside of here that the reason JG is so hard to dethrone is because Pruitts hands are tied. Something about how JG was recruited and some dirt they have on UT. I am not claiming these as reliable sources, but it does make you wonder.

How does he survive some of the stuff he pulled last year (Alabama game), even back to his freshmen year in the GT game with the sideline pout show bs. We are all scratching our heads wondering how it seems like only Tennessee ends up with a 5th year very experienced guy that has absolutely no pocket awareness, lack of ability to put touch on simple throws (does throw a good deep ball), cant see even half the field and go through progressions, and no leadership. Watch him when he does make a play or does something good...he is usually celebrating by himself. Stands alone on the sideline.
Conspiracy theories never sway me.

I guarantee our offense could not execute that jet sweep without fumbling the ball. That play also require your outside linemen to be able to block, which ours are not able to do. That play would be blown up by a good SEC defense if we ran it.

Again, I have seen Chaney run his offense with players that can actually play football. The problem isn't him. "Chaney doesn't have a good QB, so find a way to move the ball down the field." That's laughable. Truly laughable. Our offense is vanilla because vanilla is all they are capable of executing without HUGE mental mistakes.

At the beginning of this year you saw a more wide open offense and you saw with your own eyes what JG did if you let him have too long of a leash.
I guarantee you we could run that play. Its not hard. When is the last time Chaney called for a simple screen pass to change it up? Its all vanilla.

It's the UT way of doing business.
Tennessee would owe Jim Chaney 1.7 million in buyout money lol

If this happens, the following coaches don't need to have their contract renewed
1. Chris Weinke ( no reasons need to be given, GTFO )
2. Brian Nedimyer ( Sure he can recruit but his on field coaching leaves a lot to be desired )
3. Tee Martin ( I get he's a VFL but he's not a good coach )
4. Will Friend ( GTFO )

Coaches who should be fire
1. Derek Ansley ( if Pruitt isn't going to give him control of the defense then stop paying him )

Reactions: hog88
will get a chance to stay for year 4 if he changes his offensive staff. Lets review

Year 1.....he puts his staff together with Tyson Helton as OC........they dont get along so he encourages him to hit the road.
Year 2 and 3.....brings Cheney in and most would say that Gitmo handcuffs the offense but they are a dumpster fire.
Year 4......insert whomever he convinces to come to this sinking ship and we will have a 4th year head coach installing a new offense once again with no quarterback?

Why is this a good idea?

Yn4ThBMm1zDtaKQcsA.gif

Until I am confident that the lockdown will be over next year, I don't concern myself too much.

Few weeks ago I realized I had been looking at 2020 like it's is an anomaly and we'll get back on track next year.

That was an erroneous assumption. The quackery looks no better.

I am not so sure that Chaney is as good as we want to believe.

1. During his first tenure here, I remember many were frustrated with him and his tendency to abandon the run and get pass-happy and not mix in the run game. I know the response is going to be that during his first tenure here that Dooley sucked and Tyler Bray had a cannon for an arm.

2. When he came back to UT last year, he made a comment in an interview that concerned me. He said he wants to retire in Knoxville. The lack of innovation and adjustments with this offense makes me feel like he has already retired.

The offense has looked stuck in the mud last year and this year. It's very slow for plays to develop and appears to be very vanilla. When you look around the NCAA and NFL, the offensive game has changed but our offense hasn't. The inability of JG aside, has anyone come out and confirmed that it is indeed Coach Pruitt that is holding Chaney back from calling the plays? I know that is the speculation, but have not seen it confirmed.

He isn't and couldn't develop Jacob Fromm at UGA. His claim to fame is Drew Brees and I highly doubt his success had much to do with Jim Chaney. People also point to Nathan Peterman at Pitt but Peterman didn't really come into top form until the year after Chaney left. Yeah UT's offenses under Bray could throw the ball but he had 3-4 NFL caliber wide receivers but they couldn't run the ball on anyone with a pulse.

Reactions: give_him 6
But for the OP, Pruitt isn't going anywhere anytime soon and probably not even next year. Quite frankly if UT somehow manages to win a couple more games then there is probably zero chance he goes anywhere next season.

JG never started as a true Freshman

He started as a redshirt freshman way before he was ready to because Butch Jones threw him out there to the wolves because UT didnt have a better QB and UT football was falling apart and the fans were demanding a change at QB, just like people want to do to HB now.

UT had Dormady pegged as the starting QB in 2017 and kept him until UT began their big losing skid and the fans demanded a change in QB, so they put Geronimo in there and continued to fail because JG wasn't ready. Does any of this sound familiar? I think I've seen this story somewhere since then LOL

Last edited:
Since this year basically doesn't count, I have yet to understand why more freshman aren't being utilized more anyway. I remember glaring reviews about Wiedeman, Calloway, Holliday, and others during camp but yet to see them in games, other than spot appearances. Take the kid gloves off and let them play! Why not see what they can do in actual game situations. Simplify the game plan, let them play fast and if they make mistakes, coach them in understanding what they should have done. They can use the "practice" excuse all they want, but some kids just need to play to understand how to get better. Can't be worse than what we have witnessed thus far this year and I don't expect it to get better with the status-quo.

Because JG would telegraph the screen pass and it would immediately be run back for a pick 6.
Maybe or maybe not. We won't know because Chaney runs the same vanilla offense hoping for a miracle. Its a waste of everyone's time out there. Good coaches find a way.

The problem is the play calling on offense, poor strength and conditioning, porous defense. It's like having a pee wee football coach at a big time college program. Watching Tennessee football is an embarrassment.

Maybe or maybe not. We won't know because Chaney runs the same vanilla offense hoping for a miracle. Its a waste of everyone's time out there. Good coaches find a way.

Chaney IS NOT hoping for a miracle. He's resigned to the fact that his crummy offense can only run elementary level plays. Chaney knows this wont work but he has no choice. If you cant execute on the field then nothing matters anyways and these players have already proven over and over they cannot execute without making huge game-blowing mistakes. The QB, the OL, the WRs. All of them have made huge mistakes that power 5 football players should never ever make.

Again, Chaney called a deep strike down the field that SHOULD have been pass interference but JG so horribly overthrew the pass that the umpire in good conscience could not call pass interference because it was an uncatchable pass. That's not Chaney's fault. Its execution.

Reactions: norrislakevol
First off, Pruitt is here for year 4 no matter what changes are made in Offense players or coaches.

Dream scenario is that Fulmer sits down with Pruitt and tells him to not make the mistakes he made...let the OC run things and quit micromanaging.
Exactly. There is zero chance Pruitt is fired, and those believing the "rumors and insiders" are setting themselves up for disappointment.

In that 'dream scenario', how does that address the lack of player development, and in some cases full on regression that we've seen under Pruitt? How does it fix the insane coaching turnover?
Good point - my dream scenario makes the assumption that, based on history, Chaney would do a good job at developing the offensive players - especially QB.

The history of hiring a new offensive coordinator and turning it around in one year is not good. Ask Fulmer. That is why I find this hard to believe.

Good point - my dream scenario makes the assumption that, based on history, Chaney would do a good job at developing the offensive players - especially QB.

I think Pruitt has to rethink his entire coaching philosophy in order to fix the problems that he has, and I don't see him as being capable of doing so without being fired to drive home the fact that he needs to change his coaching philosophy.

Reactions: IndianaVol

VN Store

Back