Rumor on the radio here in memphis!

It was on the first Tuesday night in November in 1992, that the shocking story broke from a Memphis source that Johnny Majors was out as coach of the Volunteers. There was a short period of confusion, but the story was verified within a couple of hours. By the time the nightly news came that night, every outlet in the state was posting "Breaking News" of Johnny's unemployment.

Ah, WATE, channel 6 is in Knoxville, not Memphis.
That's what I'm thinking. How could a Memphis outlet have better info than a Knoxville one? :crazy:

Simple. The Knoxville media is the journalistic equivalent of present day Syracuse football.

Hey hat, I just thought of asking you.....of the coaches we could possibly get, who do you want coaching the Vols?

I'll hang up and listen:):p

Miami, Florida State, and Oklahoma were the three most penalized teams of the '80s. How badly did it hurt them? Check out UGA's penalty numbers under Richt.

Hard to argue against that.....Gary Patterson it is!:dance2:

there's no question about the need to get it done but I can't help feel but feel a twinge of sadness for the man(especially when you put it like that)

I'm torn. I respect the guy and what he's done here but he's going to leave with a hefty sum of money.

Wish that Phil was gone from Rocky Top
Sent away from the Tennessee hills
Aint' no wins or fans on Rocky Top
Ain't no SEC thrills

Once we had a team on Rocky Top
Half run, the other half pass
Quick as a mink,
but strong as mountain men
We still dream about that.

Rocky Top come back to me
The best in the SEC
Good ol' Rocky Top
Rocky Top Tennessee,
Rocky Top Tennessee

Once some Vols fans climbed ol' Rocky Top
Lookin' for a Gator kill
Phil got out-coached on ole Rocky Top
And Phil always will

On top of the SEC
Good ol' Rocky Top
Rocky Top Tennessee,
Rocky Top Tennessee

Phil can't coach no more on Rocky Top
The game has passed him by
That's why all the fans on Rocky Top
Are singing Me Oh My

On top of the SEC
Good ol' Rocky Top
Rocky Top Tennessee,
Rocky Top Tennessee

I've had years of cramped-up Neyland life
Hoping for a simple win
All I know is it's a pity if Phil
Will be our coach again

On top of the SEC
Good ol' Rocky Top
Rocky Top Tennessee,
Rocky Top Tennessee

Thanks Phil you have taken us from the pride of the southland to the laughing stock.

We can do MUCH better than Gary Patterson. I mean...........come on!
Yeah, what was Florida thinking hiring a coach from Utah? Pure silliness. The first criteria for the new coach should be that every guy in orange bib overalls at the Big Orange Caravan events has heard of him.

Actually, i don't think it could get much better than Patterson. He's a proven head coach at a small school and has beaten bigger teams than Fulmer has the past several years.

Do you think we could've beat BYU this season? We have the talent but not the coaching. Do you think we would have beat Oklahoma a couple years ago? Hardly. Patterson can flat out coach and he's on my short list of coaches I would love to see come lead the Vols.

What is his salary at TCU?

1.2 mil if I recall correctly, I do know he is the highest paid in the Mountain West.

And yes, he is a great coach. As I have said before, in the past 3 years, only him and Gus Malzhan have outcoached Bronco Mendenhall, and Gary managed to do it on both sides of the ball.

I would whole-heartedly support him as new HC.

VN Store

Back