Rumor on the radio here in memphis!

Is it that much of a given that he would leave for UT? Thats a serious question.

Didn't Minnesota try to lure him away for $2 mil per a year or two ago? Granted, we should be much much more enticing than the gophers, but still... he might just plain like his current gig.

I think he's a great coach.

I have to agree with Hat on this one. Patterson has been quiet impressive. However, note in the article, he turned down 2 million from Minnesota to stay at TCU. What would we have to pay him?

Head coaching career
In seven years at TCU, Patterson's 62 victories place him in third place on the TCU career victory chart, and he is the only coach in school history to record four 10-win seasons. His teams have only failed to reach a bowl game once (2004), the Frogs have earned a spot in the Final Top 25 four times. In 2005, Patterson led the Frogs to the Mountain West Conference championship in their first season of league play. Over the course of the 2005 & 2006 seasons, the Frogs won four consecutive games against Big 12 opponents, with only one of the four coming at home.

Patterson turned down a job offer from Minnesota worth over $2 million per year to stay at TCU.

Patterson has also been rumored to be on the "short list" of possible coaches at Clemson or Kansas State in 2009.

I have to agree with Hat on this one. Patterson has been quiet impressive. However, note in the article, he turned down 2 million from Minnesota to stay at TCU. What would we have to pay him?

In the words of the great Dwight Shrute...

2 million and 1 penny

I don't think he turned Minnesota down because of the money. I think he turned it down because it's a bad job.

I don't think he turned Minnesota down because of the money. I think he turned it down because it's a bad job.

There coach this year is doing pretty well in the job. I am not sure TCU is a bad job, therefore I am not certain he would take the UT job.

That's a good point. Just because he turned down 2 Mill from them doesn't mean he would turn down 2 Mill from another program. I wouldn't mind have the guy on the UT sidelines, I will say that.

What? Who could turn down a career job where everytime your interviewed you'd be thinking about that ''Fargo'' movie. Yeah, you betcha..go Gophers!

Patterson has also said he liked coaching at TCU because he can recruit a bunch of 3 star local players that can outplay 4 and 5 star players elsewhere in the country.

He can recuit what is left over in Texas and still get very good players. Especially to compete against the level of competition in their conference. Not a bad gig. And the money is not bad. Still saying it is not a given he would come to UT. But I think he would be a good fit.

Well, I live about 30 miles from Fort Worth and in my honest opinion Patterson would be a great fit at UT. Just my opinion. He has done great things at TCU and has managed to compete in a state that is top-heavy with bigger programs. There may be bigger candidates but if we get Patterson I will be happy.

Didn't Alabama hire a coach from TCU named Dennis Franchione who had done a pretty decent job at TCU. Then look at what he did at Alabama 7-5 and 10-3. This is not much better that where we are the last two years with Fulmer.

I don't think a coach from TCU is what UT needs. It's easy to get up for one big game a year but in the SEC the big games come week after week.

Didn't Alabama hire a coach from TCU named Dennis Franchione who had done a pretty decent job at TCU. Then look at what he did at Alabama 7-5 and 10-3. This is not much better that where we are the last two years with Fulmer.

I don't think a coach from TCU is what UT needs. It's easy to get up for one big game a year but in the SEC the big games come week after week.

Ah yes, because every coach that comes from the same school will have equal results. :blink:

Just trying to say the Mountain West is not the SEC. I bet Fulmer could even coach in the Mountain West and win a game every now and then that he is not supposed to.

I mean look at this record
2001 6-6
2002 10-2
2003 11-2
2004 5-6
2005 11-1
2006 11-2
2007 8-5

Would this record be good enough for a small conference coach to be hired at UT? I don't think so.

Just trying to say the Mountain West is not the SEC. I bet Fulmer could even coach in the Mountain West and win a game every now and then that he is not supposed to.

I mean look at this record
2001 6-6
2002 10-2
2003 11-2
2004 5-6
2005 11-1
2006 11-2
2007 8-5

Would this record be good enough for a small conference coach to be hired at UT? I don't think so.

How is that coach from Utah doing in the SEC?

Hiring Gary Patterson and thinking he is going to be like Urban Meyer is funny. Look at Urban Meyers record.

The most he has ever lost in one year is 4 games which ironically came when he was at Florida. At the mighty Mountain West he was 10-2 and 12-0. At Bowling Green he was 8-3 and 9-3 so don't act like Patterson is on the same coaching level as Urban Meyer. I mean I don't see a 6-6 or 5-5 or 8-5 on his resume.

So the circumstances that surrounded those seasons dont have anything to do with it. So we should just look at the record. Well, find the coach with the best record over the last 5 years, and thats our guy. Hire him on the spot based on his record. The fact that you think the fact in the difference in their record is significant evidence that Patterson would not do as well at Meyer is ridiculous.

What are the circumstances around those years? Why is everybody enamoured with Urban Meyer (because he wins period).

I just don't see why you think Patterson could coach here. Give me some good reasons. I am very easy to sway but all I here is how is the coach from Utah doing so I responed with this. I think we need an upgrade at the coach and if we get Patterson I hope he is able to right the ship.

I don't want to go through 4-5 years of losing to find out someone can or cannot coach at UT. I would like to find someone with a proven track record and I don't see how Patterson has this.

From an obvious outsiders point of view!!! Why do you all want him fired.... Because of one bad year? Seems to be recuriting good just that some players are underperforming..... Correct me if I'm wrong

From an obvious outsiders point of view!!! Why do you all want him fired.... Because of one bad year? Seems to be recuriting good just that some players are underperforming..... Correct me if I'm wrong

No SEC titles going on the 10th year now, complete and total failure of a season in 2005, now this year. Being 1-3 against Alabama and 0-4 against Florida.

Hiring Gary Patterson and thinking he is going to be like Urban Meyer is funny. Look at Urban Meyers record.

The most he has ever lost in one year is 4 games which ironically came when he was at Florida. At the mighty Mountain West he was 10-2 and 12-0. At Bowling Green he was 8-3 and 9-3 so don't act like Patterson is on the same coaching level as Urban Meyer. I mean I don't see a 6-6 or 5-5 or 8-5 on his resume.

In no way am I saying that Patterson is the next Urban Meyer. Using the argument of Patterson's record is fine. Saying he won't succeed because of another TCU coach's lack of success is the reasoning I can't agree with.

VN Store

Back