RUNNING THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS WITH TIME EXPIRED

We wasted 4-5 seconds on the delayed time out, and it felt like everyone was in panic mode.
They wasted like 15 seconds on the big play downfield. I don’t understand why Heupel sucks so much at clock management. I like him as a coach but clock management is a huge struggle for him.

Reactions: VolsFan-TX
Keeping with the title of thread....It was madness to run out of bounds at that point...Throw the ball and hope for a pass interference or a catch...Anything beats just running out of bounds...I'm sure the Ark players on the sidelines really blasted him with smack talk....

It really magnifies a much deeper issue. Nico will not throw the football unless he sees a receiver “high school open” … i.e., a huge separation.

If you remember, he also held the Hail Mary at the end of the first half. On some passes, it is okay to risk an interception.

He needs to develop a gunslinger mentality and be willing to anticipate better and throw aggressively into tighter windows.

Right now, he is playing way to tentatively IMO.
What that tells me is that he is more concerned with his personal stats than winning the game. That play right there will come back to bite him come NFL draft day though.

I think Nico realized he scrambled too far and could no longer throw it, and by that point it was game. Frustrating mistake, but he will grow. He led us down the field to be in a position to win, but bad clock management & play calling killed that last drive.

Reactions: #1HomeGrownUTVOL
Clock management was a big issue last night. When the Vols got the ball back with 6-8 minutes left and the lead, they should have been milking every second, huddling, and running high completion percentage plays and making Arkansas burn all of their time outs. They did zero of that. That is 100% on Heupel and the staff. Their defense was never going to stand up to the challenge at hand. They got smoked all game long. Thinking they should go fast with the game on the line and relying on the defense was a poor decision.

Several times they were snapping the ball with 20 plus seconds ion the play clock.

How much money is the QB coach paid? If it's more than $99.00 a year then he is making too much. He should be fired by 8:00 am tomorrow and the second string QB moved up to first string by 8:01 am. Maybe give Nico a second chance next year. Maybe not. We want our opponents to do things like that, not us.

I think Nico realized he scrambled too far and could no longer throw it, and by that point it was game. Frustrating mistake, but he will grow. He led us down the field to be in a position to win, but bad clock management & play calling killed that last drive.
Don't scramble too far then. Get someone who is smarter than that.

A RS freshman QB does that.
Dude, he’s 20 years old. He’s been in our program now for 22 months. That’s something a middle school QB should know not to do. Throw it into the end zone and let it get intercepted.

An interception over the middle to a defender that fell back in coverage and it was some new wrinkle to a defense is something that a RS QB might do. Running out of bounds without at least throwing it up to our receivers is concerning about his football IQ. We knew this in 2021 with Milton when he did it against Ole Miss. At a minimum, Heupel should’ve told him to be sure to get it into the end zone somewhere.

It’s clearly just to save face. It was a stupid mistake. The moment was too big for him. It sucks but we gotta move on and hope he doesn’t let yesterday stick with him
He exposed his football IQ to us on that play. He needs to go to like Miss State. These people wanting him to continue as a starter are limp wristed losers. If no change is made Napier will bring Florida in here and whip our a.s just like he did two years ago. See if I'm right RockyTop140. A week from today just see if I'm right. Heupel's achillie hill is not making changes when needed just like the 2 coaches before him. A great coach, a great leader has zero tolerance for someone who is incompetent. If Nico starts next week then one thing I know for sure is that Josh is not a great coach. Hanging onto Martinez was a big red flag.

He exposed his football IQ to us on that play. He needs to go to like Miss State. These people wanting him to continue as a starter are limp wristed losers. If no change is made Napier will bring Florida in here and whip our a.s just like he did two years ago. See if I'm right RockyTop140. A week from today just see if I'm right. Heupel's achillie hill is not making changes when needed just like the 2 coaches before him. A great coach, a great leader has zero tolerance for someone who is incompetent. If Nico starts next week then one thing I know for sure is that Josh is not a great coach. Hanging onto Martinez was a big red flag.
You’re going way overboard. It was a stupid play, yes. I hope he will be in the film room all week learning and growing. Anyone declaring any absolutes about Nico at this point in his career is trolling

What that tells me is that he is more concerned with his personal stats than winning the game. That play right there will come back to bite him come NFL draft day though.

I see it differently. I think he is afraid to make a mistake.

Either way, you can’t win that way.

How much money is the QB coach paid? If it's more than $99.00 a year then he is making too much. He should be fired by 8:00 am tomorrow and the second string QB moved up to first string by 8:01 am. Maybe give Nico a second chance next year. Maybe not. We want our opponents to do things like that, not us.

Knee jerk much?

Just ridiculous.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
You’re going way overboard. It was a stupid play, yes. I hope he will be in the film room all week learning and growing. Anyone declaring any absolutes about Nico at this point in his career is trolling

He’s obviously trolling. I made the mistake of responding to him, too. I won’t repeat that mistake.

VN Store

Back