Ryan Mallett

I haven't heard anything from the Mallett camp, and yes I do speak with one of his family members regularly. For those that think UCLA is still on his list; they are not, he spoke with them last week and ruled them out. I'd say the only shot they have at getting him is if they are able to hire Loeffler, but it's still a long shot. TN has come up, mainly b/c of the possibility of Loeffler being hired, but our tradition and national exposure we get rather than the other schools on his list helps our case alot. As it's been said he is from Texarkana, and his whole family is HUGE Arkansas fans so obviously they are wanting him to go there. Their qb situation definitely helps their case. She hasn't mentioned anything about Texas AM or any of the other schools that the media is saying are on his list. He's looking to start this semester, so we should know something soon, I sent her an email this morning to see if she had any new info.

Doug Gottleive (spelling?) said last night on ESPN radio "The Pulse" that Mallet should consider going to a Jr. College and wait to see which "big" school needs a QB. I can see the point of picking and choosing, but I disagree. Mallet should go to the school in which he intends to play for as soon as possible. Get in, learn the system, get comfortable, have tons of practice reps with the scout squad. If he truly is all that he is said to be, he will win out the starting spot once he becomes eligible against whoever the qb is next season. Again, I say he needs to sign up with a big school now.

What I read is he was told by Coach Rich Rodriguez he would not dress out for Michigan next year and his dad pulled him out of school. Personally he seems kind of like a Michigan reject to me, one we probably don't need.

He is not a Michigan reject. Rich Rodriguez runs a zone read spread offense, and that doesn't suit Mallet's skills. He is a pure drop back passer with immense potential. I'd be the first one on the Hill to welcome him if he decides to come.

Dear Ryan Mallett,

If Tennessee does not want you, we would love to have you.

Regards,

aTm

What I read is he was told by Coach Rich Rodriguez he would not dress out for Michigan next year and his dad pulled him out of school. Personally he seems kind of like a Michigan reject to me, one we probably don't need.

Wow, way to make a gross generalization in which none of th actual facts of the situation were used in formulating your opinion. Michigan will now run the spread. Mallet is a drop-back QB. Why on earth would he stay and play in that system? He was the most impressive QB at the Army AA game last year. Yeah, he is certainly a reject that we dont need...

Stop the Insanity! Mallet is the most physically gifted QB I have seen in HS since Peyton. He dominated the all star game and made Clausen look like a joke. Do we not want Tyler Smith since UT was not his first choice?

Career Stats
Ryan Mallet- GP:10; GS:4; Record as Starter:3-1
Passing: 61-141, 892 Yards, 7 TD 5 Int; 1 rushing TD
Rivals.com - #2 QB #2 PS QB, #4 Prospect in country
Scout.com - #2 QB, #5 prospect in country
3 Years Left

Tennessee QB's combined (meaning Crompton)
GP:8; GS: 2; Record as Starter: 0-2
Passing: 38-78, 498 yards, 5 TD 4 Int
Crompton
Rivals: #3 QB #2 PS QB, #60 prospect in country Scout:#3 QB, #49 in country
2 years Left
Nick Stephens
Rivals: #15 PS QB, #57 prospect in Texas
Scout: #15 QB
3 Years Left
BJ Coleman
Rivals: #10 PS QB, #5 Prospect in TN
Scout: #16 QB
4 Years Left

Can someone explain to me how it would hurt us to get Ryan Mallett? How can it do anything but help us? If he isn't better than what we have, and there's a good chance that he is, there is no negative whatsoever. I don't know about everyone else but if the Vols are winning games with a QB that "was too good" for the program at first than losing games with a player that isn't good enough for the Vols period. I'm not saying any of the three currently on the roster aren't good enough, I'm just saying as Vol fans we should be more interested in winning games than having our feelings hurt. Look how JP and Tyler have helped the basketball team. CBP took them in with the limited amount of scholarships available to the basketball program. Nobody should be opposed to bringing in one of the top 5 prospects in country.

One of my concerns is that it seems his father is shopping him around and I am a little concerned that we will be back with the Daddy Clausen situation where if you don't treat my son the way I want him treated, I am going to take my ball and go home.

i cant take reading some posts from absolute idiots sayin they dont want this kid... if he comes here he would be th emost talented qb we have and who cares if he didnt choose us first how does that matter i would love to see him in orange

You hope it's not! We'll see... I'm just saying, Tennessee is likely out of the picture with Clawson being named OC and QB coach. Whoever lands Loeffler may have the best chance to land Mallett.

Very true, and Petrino is the type to find a spot on his staff for Loeffler for the sole intention of getting Mallett. Then dump him later on, reminds me when Calapari at Memphis hire DaJuan Wagner's dad as an assistant just to get DaJuan for one season.

If He Does Become A Vol Since We Now Have Clawson As Oc/qb Coach, Then Maybe He Wants Really Wants To Be A Vol. He Still Has To Sit Out And Watch For A Year, Then Beat Out The Starter For The Job. If He Can Do That Then Maybe We Call Him A Vol.

If He Does Become A Vol Since We Now Have Clawson As Oc/qb Coach, Then Maybe He Wants Really Wants To Be A Vol. He Still Has To Sit Out And Watch For A Year, Then Beat Out The Starter For The Job. If He Can Do That Then Maybe We Call Him A Vol.

He'd only be a Vol if he became the starter as a sophomore over Crompton who would be a senior and likely coming off a full season as starter? I'd call him a Vol right now if he decided to play at Tennessee.

If He Decides To Come To Tennessee Then Sits A Year And Pays His Dues Then I Will Be Satisfied That He Deserves To Wear Orange.

What two local QB's do we have......

Crompton from NC
Stevens from TX
Coleman from Chattanooga

Did I miss someone??? :good!:

Yeah good thing we had those local QBs Todd Helton and Jerry Colquitt or that Peyton Manning guy from New Orleans would've had to play. What a disaster that'd be.

VN Store

Back