Saturday Scrimmage Notes

Let’s hear your comparison on individual talent of the 4. Not just a smug opinion because you just don’t like him.

Rate them on:
-Accuracy (where the ball finishes)
-Pocket awareness (movement WITHIN the pocket w/out looking)
-Speed ( how fast are they when they have to run)
- Arm strength (How far they can throw)
- Leadership (how the team responds to them)
- Improvise ( when the play breaks down)
- Throw on the run (self explanatory)
And
- Delivery speed ( How fast the ball is out from load to delivery)

If you’re honest (which you’re not known to be) you’ll see WHY I say the things I do and this is just a synopsis. If you don’t respond then I’ll assume you know how bad you’ll look for NOT being honest. If you avoid participating it’s easy to understand why.
Accuracy
BM 2/10 46% only 45.33% of his passes were accurate regardless of completion. 4th from last in the SEC.
JG 6/10 Career 60% over 60% as Fr

Pocket Awareness
BM 3/10
JG 7/10
Should be. One is a Sr one is a Sph.

Speed
BM 5/10
JG6/10
JG better SPARQ and 40 time on record. JG held the SPARQ record until recently broken

Arm Strength
Bm 6/10
Jg 8/10

Many experts said JG had one of the strongest arms they have seen. Including people you quote like Dilfer.

.Improvisation
BM 5/10
JG 6/10

Neither good BM did not once throw a td or anything when a play broke down. JG has been one the best 3rd down qbs in the SEC. Had to make plays when the line broke down plenty of times. Haven't seen BM do it.

Leadership
BM ?/10 Never heard a player say anything positive about his leadership.
JG 10/10 All respect him and call him team leader. Played through adversity and injuries.

Throwing on the run
BM 6/10
JG 5/10

Neither great. Will give BM the edge for being a more willing runner.

Delivery (on time,accurate,without turning the ball over)
Bm 1/10
JG 5/10

JG may be slow sometime but it usually goes to the right place. Throwing the ball quickly to the opponent is worse than holding the ball.

Maybe throwing on the run BM is better.

JG is way more accurate, bigger arm, better awareness, more natural athletic ability (speed,vertical all on record), and the team leader.

BM was a low 3 and JG dang near a 5 star for a reason. TALENT. They were both evaluated at the same events. JG was deemed far superior in potential and talent.

That is why he is starting and BM is a non factor.

Accuracy
BM 2/10 46% only 45.33% of his passes were accurate regardless of completion. 4th from last in the SEC.

Pocket Awareness
BM 3/10
JG 7/10

Speed
BM 5/10
JG6/10
JG better SPARQ and 40 time on record. JG held the SPARQ record until recently broken

Arm Strength
Bm 6/10
Jg 8/10

Many experts said JG had one of the strongest arms they have seen. Including people you quote like Dilfer.

.Improvisation
BM 5/10
JG 6/10

Neither good BM did not once throw a td or anything when a play broke down. JG has been one the best 3rd down qbs in the SEC. Had to make plays when the line broke down plenty of times. Haven't seen BM do it.

Leadership
JG 10/10 All respect him and call him team leader. Played through adversity and injuries.

Throwing on the run
BM 6/10
JG 5/10

Bm 1/10
JG 5/10

JG may be slow sometime but it usually goes to the right place. Throwing the ball quickly to the opponent is worse than holding the ball.

JG is way more accurate, bigger arm, better awareness, more natural athletic ability (speed,vertical all on record), and the team leader.

BM was a low 3 and JG dang near a 5 star for a reason. TALENT. They were both evaluated at the same events. JG was deemed far superior in potential and talent.

I’m going to respond to this and leave it to ya to hate on the kid.

Accuracy once again isn’t a “stat”. It’s where a qb intends the ball to hit regardless of outcome. If you stacked an apple and a hand grenade on top of your head for an archery experts target practice, you’ll learn very quickly what “accuracy” REALLY is.

I’m not even going to debate your bias on pocket awareness. BM is head and shoulders better than JG in that department as is HB and JTS. JG has repeatedly taken sack after sack because he didn’t feel backside pressure. In fact he probably leads the SEC in sack fumbles as a result.

I’m going to challenge you to find anyone that agrees that JG is faster than BM. That’s just plain stupid. Those SPARQ tests you keep referring to (in BMs case) were done as a sophomore in HS. And just so you know he had a 34.5 in vertical then. I’ve never seen JGs but not many qbs matched it that I seen. But I could be wrong given they don’t mean chit at that point in Hs.

Arm strength is question mark tbh. We all know JTS has the strongest arm but there is a video of BM hitting the center of the goal post from 70 yards. If JG can do that then more power to him. However if a qb can throw 70+ yards their arm is considered elite. Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields both threw 73 at “Tge Opening” 2017. Jamarcus Russell had the strongest arm ever of elite 11 qbs and his was 81.

Improvising is something that BM is known for. It’s been mentioned even in your trusty practice reports. The long run up the middle vs MSU was him improvising to quick pressure off the edges. His first pass vs IU in the bowl game was him improvising and it definitely showed him to be better than a 6 out 10 in doing so. He didn’t have to do it a lot in the games but trust me, it happens routinely.

Leadership is something you SEE in body language and the response of the team. Not what someone “said”. Anyone with eyes can SEE that a JG lead team is lifeless. Like it or not the team responded to BM and he didn’t, at any time, look confused or unsure when directing traffic presnap. The offense moved with consistency with BM and it simply didn’t with JG.

Delivery I explained. You can’t add anything to it. It’s simply the amount of time from load to arrival. Truth is that one was unfair to you because you’d have to clock it to see. But BMs delivery is one of the fastest in his class. Just behind Spencer Rattler. JGs just “looks” slower if I had to guess but Idk.

And just so you know, BM was a HIGH 3* at .8817. 90 is a 4*.

I’m going to respond to this and leave it to ya to hate on the kid.

Accuracy once again isn’t a “stat”. It’s where a qb intends the ball to hit regardless of outcome. If you stacked an apple and a hand grenade on top of your head for an archery experts target practice, you’ll learn very quickly what “accuracy” REALLY is.

I’m not even going to debate your bias on pocket awareness. BM is head and shoulders better than JG in that department as is HB and JTS. JG has repeatedly taken sack after sack because he didn’t feel backside pressure. In fact he probably leads the SEC in sack fumbles as a result.

I’m going to challenge you to find anyone that agrees that JG is faster than BM. That’s just plain stupid. Those SPARQ tests you keep referring to (in BMs case) were done as a sophomore in HS. And just so you know he had a 34.5 in vertical then. I’ve never seen JGs but not many qbs matched it that I seen. But I could be wrong given they don’t mean chit at that point in Hs.

Arm strength is question mark tbh. We all know JTS has the strongest arm but there is a video of BM hitting the center of the goal post from 70 yards. If JG can do that then more power to him. However if a qb can throw 70+ yards their arm is considered elite. Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields both threw 73 at “Tge Opening” 2017. Jamarcus Russell had the strongest arm ever of elite 11 qbs and his was 81.

Improvising is something that BM is known for. It’s been mentioned even in your trusty practice reports. The long run up the middle vs MSU was him improvising to quick pressure off the edges. His first pass vs IU in the bowl game was him improvising and it definitely showed him to be better than a 6 out 10 in doing so. He didn’t have to do it a lot in the games but trust me, it happens routinely.

Leadership is something you SEE in body language and the response of the team. Not what someone “said”. Anyone with eyes can SEE that a JG lead team is lifeless. Like it or not the team responded to BM and he didn’t, at any time, look confused or unsure when directing traffic presnap. The offense moved with consistency with BM and it simply didn’t with JG.

Delivery I explained. You can’t add anything to it. It’s simply the amount of time from load to arrival. Truth is that one was unfair to you because you’d have to clock it to see. But BMs delivery is one of the fastest in his class. Just behind Spencer Rattler. JGs just “looks” slower if I had to guess but Idk.

And just so you know, BM was a HIGH 3* at .8817. 90 is a 4*.
It amazes me how you make BM out to be the God of football.
Dude is legit fighting for the QB3 spot but from what you say.... only a few NFL players can compete with him.

A whole bunch of words for nothing going on right now. Vols play in 8 days...
Against an SEC opponent. So we will see what's really what. Y'all spend waaaaay too much time on stuff that can't even be tested until 8 days from now.
You're right.

Freak, shut this damn thing down. It is serving NO purpose.

heh, just kidding. It's not like there's anything we do here anyway, but jaw back and forth about things sometimes related to Vols football. We're not trying to cure cancer (maybe covid) or colonize Mars. Just talking football and other stuff. :)

What will your take on this situation be if it ends up being this. Qb1 jg. Qb2 shrout. Qb3 HB. Qb4 maurer. That's an actual possiblity and I'm curious how you would feel/think/react about it.
I would know why so I wouldn’t be surprised to see the DC that way. That being said if JG goes down or plays bad I also wouldn’t be surprised to see BM jump the DC to replace him regardless of order on paper if we had to win a game. There’s more to it than people know and not all depth charts are aligned in order of talent.

I hope JG can benefit from having the same OC two consecutive seasons. In an interview he said he’s has been working on reading the Defense and having more consistency. Something he has lacked but has improved on this offseason (so they say). We will not know until games are played. I hope he sets the league on fire as he has had a lot of misfortune with coaching turnover among other things. With that being said I think that there are a couple of QBs On roster that could have a much higher ceiling once they develop and their time comes. Regardless of your viewpoint or favorite QB, JG is our starter and we need to be behind him 100% going into the season. If he shows he hasn’t improved and can’t handle this tough schedule then the QB debate can resume. I’ve knocked him a lot but the young man is all Vol and will give it his all I’m sure. Go Vols and can’t wait until next Saturday. It’s Football Time in Tennessee!!!!!!’

I would know why so I wouldn’t be surprised to see the DC that way. That being said if JG goes down or plays bad I also wouldn’t be surprised to see BM jump the DC to replace him regardless of order on paper if we had to win a game. There’s more to it than people know and not all depth charts are aligned in order of talent.
Was hoping for an answer.

You're right.

Freak, shut this damn thing down. It is serving NO purpose.

heh, just kidding. It's not like there's anything we do here anyway, but jaw back and forth about things sometimes related to Vols football. We're not trying to cure cancer (maybe covid) or colonize Mars. Just talking football and other stuff. :)
I get that. I really do. But there's what's called a breaking point. You're trying to read for information and all you see is people arguing .pages and pages of arguments.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I can’t completely answer that on a message board. Just read between the lines. No matter what happens I’ll be happy to see UT with good QB play. No matter who it is.
You wont think something is going on behind the scenes if shrout and HB play and maurer doesnt? If they are above him on the depth chart

This.

People cling to these practice reports like they're gospel. If Brian is healthy enough. He'll end up out there against South Carolina. Not start. But if he gets in and has grown as much as I think he has....you'll see improved QB play.

Because eventually Harrison Bailey will get his chance. And there needs to be REAL QB competition. Meaning at least 2 winning QBs fighting for the nod.

Reactions: 1vol8
You wont think something is going on behind the scenes if shrout and HB play and maurer doesnt? If they are above him on the depth chart
I would think this is a year that no coach loses their jobs regardless of record so there’s nothing to lose by taking a gamble

Accuracy

Pocket Awareness
BM 3/10
JG 7/10

Speed
BM 5/10
JG6/10

Arm Strength
Bm 6/10
Jg 8/10

.Improvisation
BM 5/10
JG 6/10

Leadership

Throwing on the run
BM 6/10
JG 5/10

Bm 1/10
JG 5/10

There is no way in the world that anyone in their right mind would put JG as a 5 star if they could re-rank that recruiting class. I’ve yet to see that All world arm strength you are referring to either.

I would think this is a year that no coach loses their jobs regardless of record so there’s nothing to lose by taking a gamble
We already have Vol beat writers issuing articles about “Pruitt shouldn’t hide behind the pandemic.”...and we haven’t played a game! There’s even more fans that espouse that ideal. Individual QB handlers can “gamble” and sacrifice a season. HC’s can’t. If we lose with our best on the field? That’s another argument.

We already have Vol beat writers issuing articles about “Pruitt shouldn’t hide behind the pandemic.”...and we haven’t played a game! There’s even more fans that espouse that ideal. Individual QB handlers can “gamble” and sacrifice a season. HC’s can’t. If we lose with our best on the field? That’s another argument.
Do you really think with the year this has been that he finds himself on the hot seat? Unless UT loses in horrible fashion week after week he keeps his job regardless as all other coaches do. Idc what the tabloids say.

Do you really think with the year this has been that he finds himself on the hot seat? Unless UT loses in horrible fashion week after week he keeps his job regardless as all other coaches do. Idc what the tabloids say.
I’m telling you that what YOU give him free license to do in order to put your boy on the field doesn’t jibe with the fanbase. This is one blowhard in the media (not tabloids) but he isn’t that unique.

Exactly, We have to win now. We’re not playing musical QB’s just for the helluva it. If we go 3-7 nobody is gonna care if Maurer or Shrout gets some quality reps.

Reactions: Remy and butchna
I’m telling you that what YOU give him free license to do in order to put your boy on the field doesn’t jibe with the fanbase. This is one blowhard in the media (not tabloids) but he isn’t that unique.
Everyone is against BM. Anything to make sure he never sees the field!

Reactions: butchna

VN Store

Back