SEC Shorts Season Ending Awards

I will never have anything good to say about alabama. Saban is still the 2nd. Nobody tops Gen. Neyland
Neyland can number one in our hearts (I only have stats and some run down game highlights to go off, but only a blind man fails to see what Saban accomplished and not say he was the GOAT concerning college football head coaches.

Neyland can number one in our hearts (I only have stats and some run down game highlights to go off, but only a blind man fails to see what Saban accomplished and not say he was the GOAT concerning college football head coaches.
Neyland had a better win percentage than Saban: .829 to .804. Neyland is #9 all-time on that list, Saban is #14.

Saban had more national titles, at 7, than Neyland, at 4.

Saban's total lifetime victories, at 292, is ahead of Neyland's 173.

Of course, Saban had 28 seasons, largely uninterrupted, to accomplish the longevity (win total and title total) records. Neyland only had 21 seasons, interrupted twice by US Army deployments to Panama and WW II.

So it's a mixed bag, some advantages to Saban and some to the General. But overall, is Saban's record better? Yes. Have to admit facts.

Still, it is hugely arguable whether Saban is the greatest head coach of all time. Guys like Joe Paterno (in spite of enabling a pedophile) with 409 career wins, and Knute Rockne, with a .881 win percentage, they have skin in this game, too.

I personally would put Knute Rockne and Bear Bryant ahead of Nick. While acknowledging Saban as the best of the 21st Century so far.

Go Vols!

Still, it is hugely arguable whether Saban is the greatest head coach of all time. Guys like Joe Paterno (in spite of enabling a pedophile) with 409 career wins, and Knute Rockne, with a .881 win percentage, they have skin in this game, too.

Go Vols!

Joe Pa?

BILL effing BATTLE whipped his a** - TWICE!

That Joe Pa?

character judge.jpg

Neyland had a better win percentage than Saban: .829 to .804. Neyland is #9 all-time on that list, Saban is #14.

Saban had more national titles, at 7, than Neyland, at 4.

Saban's total lifetime victories, at 292, is ahead of Neyland's 173.

Of course, Saban had 28 seasons, largely uninterrupted, to accomplish the longevity (win total and title total) records. Neyland only had 21 seasons, interrupted twice by US Army deployments to Panama and WW II.

So it's a mixed bag, some advantages to Saban and some to the General. But overall, is Saban's record better? Yes. Have to admit facts.

I personally would put Knute Rockne and Bear Bryant ahead of Nick. While acknowledging Saban as the best of the 21st Century so far.

Go Vols!
Saban is obviously one of the greats, but I agree --- I wouldn't call him "the GOAT" --- just the GOAT of the 21st Century. Winning 7 national titles is crazy, but his methodology wouldn't have worked in the 20s, 60s, 80s, or even the 90s. What he did was perfect the accumulation of blue-chip national talent, but that wasn't something you could realistically do before the modern era. A coach in Tuscaloosa couldn't scout out all the high school football games in LA or Dallas back in 1968. Saban still would've been a good coach in the 70s or 80s, but he wouldn't have won 7 national titles. He wouldn't have been able to recruit half the players he did in the modern era.

For my money, Tom Osborne is #1 all-time. There's no real reason Nebraska shouldn't be Kansas. What Tom Osborne (and Bob Delaney before him) did there was absurd! Osborne won 3 national titles as HC and 2 as OC at Nebraska, a school basically in the middle of nowhere. He never won less than 9 games in 25 seasons. That shouldn't even be possible at Nebraska. The only reason we think that's normal is because Delaney and Osborne. Replace Delaney, you don't get Osborne, and Nebraska football looks more like Kansas football historically. The fact that pretty much no one has even come close to replicating the success of Osborne is a testament to just how difficult it is to win in Lincoln.

Though, I will say it's almost impossible to rank across eras, because different skill sets were dominant in different eras. I think we have GOATs of different eras and that's it.

VN Store

Back