Senators set to vote on bill to codify Supreme Court’s same-sex marriage protections

zeppelin128

This is the Way.
The Senate is set to vote this week on a bill to codify the Supreme Court’s same-sex marriage protections after a bipartisan group of senators unveiled a deal earlier Monday, signaling they believe they have the votes to get past a filibuster and move the measure to President Biden’s desk.

Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) filed cloture on the legislation on Monday, teeing up the first vote on the measure for Wednesday.

The New York Democrat’s move indicates that the updated bill has the support of 10 Senate Republicans needed. The new deal updates language from before the election, and includes provisions to assuage GOP members on religious liberty related issues.

A group of five senators — Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.), Susan Collins (R-Maine), Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) — released the updated legislation, which protects nonprofit religious organizations from providing services in support of same-sex marriage.

It also would protect religious liberty and conscience protections under the Constitution and federal law.

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) told The Hill that provided the religious freedom amendment is part of the final bill, he will support it. That would make four Senate Republicans who publicly back the effort.

“I’d like to get onto the bill,” Romney said, calling the amendment a “positive step.” “If that amendment is attached to the bill, I’ll vote for it.”

“Through bipartisan collaboration, we’ve crafted commonsense language to confirm that this legislation fully respects and protects Americans’ religious liberties and diverse beliefs, while leaving intact the core mission of the legislation to protect marriage equality,” the five senators backing the new deal said in a statement.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...supreme-courts-same-sex-marriage-protections/

Reactions: volinbham
Not sure what all they are actually codifying, hopefully it's not another one of those sounds-good-but-actually-makes-the-problem-worse bills.

Sodomy should not be praised. It's not a natural lifestyle choice.

equal treatment = praise in your mind?

I love the right's current and historical use of religion to discriminate. And then scream from the mountain tops they aren't bigots but their bigotry is protected by religious freedom.

equal treatment = praise in your mind?

I love the right's current and historical use of religion to discriminate. And then scream from the mountain tops they aren't bigots but their bigotry is protected by religious freedom.
There was something equally sinister going on not two years ago. Instead of religion, people were using “science” to discriminate and deprive people of their rights.

VN Store

Back