Senators set to vote on bill to codify Supreme Court’s same-sex marriage protections

How do you pay the cost for same sex marriage any more than you do for "traditional" marriage?

I don’t have a problem with same sex marriage. Not my cup of tea, but certainly not my concern.

I have a problem with irresponsible lifestyles that create burdens that the rest of society is expected to foot the bill on.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
How do you pay the cost for same sex marriage any more than you do for "traditional" marriage?

Won’t there essentially be more marriages thus putting more stress on an already broken tax code?

Last edited:
I don’t have a problem with same sex marriage. Not my cup of tea, but certainly not my concern.

I have a problem with irresponsible lifestyles that create burdens that the rest of society is expected to foot the bill on.
Then eliminate the idea that society has to take care of everyone's problems.

Anyone opposing this bill needs to look at the upside, even if you still oppose same sex marriage. If you take the time to read it you will see that it basically says every state must honor a valid marriage license. Well guess what other licenses they will have to honor after a few clever lawsuits.

This does not make this more appetizing in my opinion. I don’t know what license I have that another state doesn’t desire to recognize, that I wish the federal government would resolve.

The Senate is set to vote this week on a bill to codify the Supreme Court’s same-sex marriage protections after a bipartisan group of senators unveiled a deal earlier Monday, signaling they believe they have the votes to get past a filibuster and move the measure to President Biden’s desk.

Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) filed cloture on the legislation on Monday, teeing up the first vote on the measure for Wednesday.

The New York Democrat’s move indicates that the updated bill has the support of 10 Senate Republicans needed. The new deal updates language from before the election, and includes provisions to assuage GOP members on religious liberty related issues.

A group of five senators — Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.), Susan Collins (R-Maine), Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) — released the updated legislation, which protects nonprofit religious organizations from providing services in support of same-sex marriage.

It also would protect religious liberty and conscience protections under the Constitution and federal law.

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) told The Hill that provided the religious freedom amendment is part of the final bill, he will support it. That would make four Senate Republicans who publicly back the effort.

“I’d like to get onto the bill,” Romney said, calling the amendment a “positive step.” “If that amendment is attached to the bill, I’ll vote for it.”

“Through bipartisan collaboration, we’ve crafted commonsense language to confirm that this legislation fully respects and protects Americans’ religious liberties and diverse beliefs, while leaving intact the core mission of the legislation to protect marriage equality,” the five senators backing the new deal said in a statement.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...supreme-courts-same-sex-marriage-protections/
The borders are being overrun with illegals bringing drugs and cartels by the thousands, crime is thru the roof in every major city, people having a hard time just feeding themselves due to inflation, the homeless population, the teachers trying to brainwash our kids. And this is the best those dumb bast#### can come up with is same sex marriage?

The borders are being overrun with illegals bringing drugs and cartels by the thousands, crime is thru the roof in every major city, people having a hard time just feeding themselves due to inflation, the homeless population, the teachers trying to brainwash our kids. And this is the best those dumb bast#### can come up with is same sex marriage?

Everything you described has been happening for nearly a decade.

Politicians don't really want to fix problems. If they did, what would they campaign on? They wouldn't be able to expand their power and the federal government if they actually came up with solutions.
What's in it for us? is the first question politicians ask. By "us" they mean their party not the American people .

So then you'd support polygamy or pedophilia. Based on that philosophy
Exactly.. it’s a slippery slope, and for those of us who believe in the bible, this is just abhorrent.. even Muslims in Michigan are starting to get irritated with all of this.. I realize my beliefs are not other peoples beliefs as Christianity in the United States is waning, but this is disgusting, but there is not much we can do about it.. I have no problem with gay people ( I have an aunt is gay and a friend I grew up with who decided she was)…Do I love them? Yes. but do I think them getting married to other women is a marriage? Nope.

Reactions: TNVOLNAVY
I just don’t understand the need to tell others what they can and cannot do in the privacy of their own home. I’m straight and have been married for 30+ years. Why does it change anything about my life if others get married too?
1 guy 1 girl
2 guys
2 girls
3 girls
3 guys
2 guys 1 girl
Whatever.
In my world you either believe in freedom or you don’t.
As long as my freedom doesn’t infringe on you then it’s none of your business…..and it goes the other way too

I just don’t understand the need to tell others what they can and cannot do in the privacy of their own home. I’m straight and have been married for 30+ years. Why does it change anything about my life if others get married too?
1 guy 1 girl
2 guys
2 girls
3 girls
3 guys
2 guys 1 girl
Whatever.
As long as my freedom doesn’t infringe on you then it’s none of your business…..and it goes the other way too
I want to feel that way, and normally do, but my gut/conscience tells me this one is a big no no… people can be gay all they want and hang from the rafters in their own house… don’t care..and they have the same rights as everyone else.. marriage, however, is different .. I think this is more of a case of you all can do it, so why are we denied? 😆 oh, well, nobody asked me and I don’t recall voting on this issue, does anyone else?

Reactions: Orangeslice13
1 guy 1 girl
2 guys
2 girls
3 girls
3 guys
2 guys 1 girl
Whatever.
I think for most an I'm guessing here...it's that those lifestyles don't stay in the home...it shoved down our throat everyday..every commerical.. constantly.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Exactly I'd you choose to live an alternative lifestyle that's your choice....I don't have to accept it..I feel the same way about vegans and vegetarians...

To me it is a lie because I clearly see the financial burden it creates. I also don’t like the full court press to push on everyone, socially speaking. And the child stuff now….jeez…what we do in in private….yea right.

VN Store

Back