Shooter's parents charged in Oxford High School shooting

With rights come responsibilities, and they failed to uphold their responsibilities and parents, gun owners, and community members.
We don’t know if it was secured or not. As the article states, the kid shouldn’t have been allowed to return to class that day after the meeting. The school administration screwed up, but I don’t think they’re criminally negligent. I think the prosecutors are bringing are charging the parents because the kid had an Instagram photo with gun saying it was his. The prosecutors are going to need stronger evidence than that to win.

We don’t know if it was secured or not. As the article states, the kid shouldn’t have been allowed to return to class that day after the meeting. The school administration screwed up, but I don’t think they’re criminally negligent. I think the prosecutors are bringing are charging the parents because the kid had an Instagram photo with gun saying it was his. The prosecutors are going to need stronger evidence than that to win.

They're toast. Stored in an unocked drawer. There is a social media post from his mom talking about the early xmas gift gun. Then the meeting with the picture. The text his mom sent him when he got caught looking to buy ammo on the net by a teacher which said, "I'm not mad, don't get caught. lol"

Reactions: Wireless1
They're toast. Stored in an unocked drawer. There is a social media post from his mom talking about the early xmas gift gun. Then the meeting with the picture. The text his mom sent him when he got caught looking to buy ammo on the net by a teacher which said, "I'm not mad, don't get caught. lol"

I thought the text she sent upon learning of the shooting begging Ethan to "Please don't do this" is pretty damning. It sets up that she had probable cause to believe her child was capable of such an act and still provided him with open access to the means of commission.

Pretty sure in Texas they would be held criminally liable also. Having the right to own firearms doesn’t absolve people of the responsibility

Ah, I didn’t see all that. Then they definitely should spend time in jail if that’s true. Very sad.

A lot of single mothers in Chicago are going to end up locked up...

Truth!!

It's very interesting where lines get drawn. If a teenager steals one of their parents pain medication and shares it with a friend and that friend OD's and dies are those parents criminally liable? What if a teen steals a butcher knife out of the knife block and stabs someone to death...parents responsible here? What if an 18 year old grabs his dads bottle of liquor out of the freezer without his dads permission and consumes it, then wrecks and kills a family of 4.....should dad pay the price? Just asking, not necessarily defending this situation.

Ah, I didn’t see all that. Then they definitely should spend time in jail if that’s true. Very sad.
It seems like the parents have a pretty bad position in all this. I don't know what rights the school system had to send the kid home that day without consent, but they asked and the parents said "no." Apparently they also didn't disclose he had access to the gun they had just purchased for him, despite the drawing they were told about at the meeting.

Truth!!

It's very interesting where lines get drawn. If a teenager steals one of their parents pain medication and shares it with a friend and that friend OD's and dies are those parents criminally liable? What if a teen steals a butcher knife out of the knife block and stabs someone to death...parents responsible here? What if an 18 year old grabs his dads bottle of liquor out of the freezer without his dads permission and consumes it, then wrecks and kills a family of 4.....should dad pay the price? Just asking, not necessarily defending this situation.
I think you might want to alter your scenario to "what if a kid's parents are informed he has been talking about how he wants to sell lethal pills to other kids and they don't disclose they just gave him a bottle of lethal pills and take him out school to figure out if hes serious?"

I think you might want to alter your scenario to "what if a kid's parents are informed he has been talking about how he wants to sell lethal pills to other kids and they don't disclose they just gave him a bottle of lethal pills and take him out school to figure out if hes serious?"

Yeah that's a good point, but where is the line drawn? Ultimately we are responsible for our own actions.

Truth!!

Those situations differ from this in that a handgun has very narrow purpose and this outcome was at least well within the reasonable consequences and perhaps even a highly predictable outcome.

The others are too distant in causation terms.

Yeah that's a good point, but where is the line drawn? Ultimately we are responsible for our own actions.
We already have laws to charge drug dealers with murder if a purchaser dies. If we're going to keep those, I don't have a problem with these charges.

Parents have to be responsible for their kids to some degree. You can get sued if your minor child wrecks the car, I think you can get criminally charged if you know your kid is drunk and give him the car.

Those situations differ from this in that a handgun has very narrow purpose and this outcome was at least well within the reasonable consequences and perhaps even a highly predictable outcome.

The others are too distant in causation terms.

Ehh....I kind of see what you are saying. Of course, I remember kids bringing guns to school back in the day to show their friends. No one ever got shot, but if that kid got caught with it they got suspended. What a difference a couple of decades make.

Reactions: davethevol
Ehh....I kind of see what you are saying. Of course, I remember kids bringing guns to school back in the day to show their friends. No one ever got shot, but if that kid got caught with it they got suspended. What a difference a couple of decades make.

I actually had that exact scenario in a case some years ago. Teenagers doing minor car burglaries found a gun. One brought it to school and had it in his car. Another friend looking at it in back seat as they leave at end of day and it goes off and bullet goes through front seat and kills the kid that brought it to school. True story.

I actually had that exact scenario in a case some years ago. Teenagers doing minor car burglaries found a gun. One brought it to school and had it in his car. Another friend looking at it in back seat as they leave at end of day and it goes off and bullet goes through front seat and kills the kid that brought it to school. True story.

Man, that is so terrible. I know someone I went to school with that accidentally shot and killed his best friend. He was never the same after. So sad.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman

VN Store

Back